Home Technical Talk

DcBoolManager- Free maya script for boolean modeling

eltarbos
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
Hi,
DcBoolManager is a free maya script to enhance boolean modeling workflow.
It works on maya 2016 and above.
It's available on gumroad here:
https://gum.co/LMlq
It's still wip so please give it a try and tell me what I can change.
here's 2 videos showing how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2LGtvwCLy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdRhp6ETA_o

Replies

• pasha_sevez
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    I really like the way you implemented multiply boolean operations - very convenient and clear )) I'll give it a try for sure!
  • Swan
    Offline / Send Message
    Swan polycounter lvl 3
    I was just thinking today how Maya could use a layered boolean tool. Thanks for your hard work!
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This looks really fantastic! Going to give this a try over the next few days. Thank you so much for making this!
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome!! Thank you for sharing!
  • Cr
    Offline / Send Message
    Cr greentooth
    Looks rad! Thank you Tarbos!
  • Nini
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    your video really intrigued me , and so I just gave this plugin a go, but when sending to zbrush I get this error message:
    // Error: file: C:/Users/XXXX/Documents/maya/2016.5/scripts/DcBoolManager.mel line 232: Cannot find procedure "Unfold3D". //
    I've checked to see perhaps Unflod3D was toggled off in the plugin manager, but it's on.  any clue?
  • furiouslul
    Offline / Send Message
    furiouslul polycounter lvl 4
    Tzur_H said:
    your video really intrigued me , and so I just gave this plugin a go, but when sending to zbrush I get this error message:
    // Error: file: C:/Users/XXXX/Documents/maya/2016.5/scripts/DcBoolManager.mel line 232: Cannot find procedure "Unfold3D". //
    I've checked to see perhaps Unflod3D was toggled off in the plugin manager, but it's on.  any clue?

There's a problem with Bonus Tools in update 2016.5 (or SP1?), there was an update made which you can find on the autodesk website - but you can also change the script itself. Instead of "Unfold3D -u", change it to "u3dUnfold" and it should work.

I had a similar problem with a tool I made that does practically the same thing (but forgive me if this doesn't help at all!)

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Tzur_H said:

There's a problem with Bonus Tools in update 2016.5 (or SP1?), there was an update made which you can find on the autodesk website - but you can also change the script itself. Instead of "Unfold3D -u", change it to "u3dUnfold" and it should work.

I had a similar problem with a tool I made that does practically the same thing (but forgive me if this doesn't help at all!)

Thanks, that solved the problem. 
  • eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H said:

Thanks for the answer. I wasn't aware of this problem. I only tested it on maya 2016.
  • furiouslul
    Offline / Send Message
    furiouslul polycounter lvl 4
    eltarbos said:
    Thanks for the answer. I wasn't aware of this problem. I only tested it on maya 2016.
    No worries mate.

As mentioned, Autodesk did release a fix, but only for their tools. Meaning, the command in 2016.5 has changed to the above.

You might be able to find the version of Maya by getting the result of the 'about -version' command and issue Unfold3D or u3dUnfold respectively (there might be a better way to do this, not quite sure)
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    love it
    thank you!
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    @eltarbos
    I'm sure you will re release, but I fixed it for 2016.5 ex2 
    BAsically what others said, they changed the Unfold3d flag and its attributes.  line 232 Change from
    Unfold3D -u -ite 1 -p 1 -bi 1 -tf 1 -ms 1024 -rs 2;
    To
    u3dUnfold -ite 1 -p 1 -bi 1 -tf 1 -ms 1024 -rs 2;
    Then it should work for that version, I guess you could check the version with
    string $version = `about -v` == "2016 Extension 2;
    The -u attribute is removed in ext2 also. then I guess you can make it chose to do the unfold3d if 0 and u3dunfold if 1

Great script by the way, very nice addition to my maya pipeline :awesome:
  • eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros said:
    @eltarbos
    I'm sure you will re release, but I fixed it for 2016.5 ex2 
    BAsically what others said, they changed the Unfold3d flag and its attributes.  line 232 Change from
    Unfold3D -u -ite 1 -p 1 -bi 1 -tf 1 -ms 1024 -rs 2;
    To
    u3dUnfold -ite 1 -p 1 -bi 1 -tf 1 -ms 1024 -rs 2;
    Then it should work for that version, I guess you could check the version with
    string $version = `about -v` == "2016 Extension 2;
    The -u attribute is removed in ext2 also. then I guess you can make it chose to do the unfold3d if 0 and u3dunfold if 1

Great script by the way, very nice addition to my maya pipeline :awesome:
    Thanks Mossbros!
    I will try to update the script tomorow.
  • eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message
    I have updated the script to version 1.01.
    -Now I check unfold3d version. If unfold3d is not installed, it uses legacy version.
    - If for some reasons you don't want to  use auto UVs, I also added a auto Unfold UVs radio button on/off above the zbrush export button.

• Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Much better :) 
    Now all we need is a script to automate from zbrush and back to maya. 
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    thanks for this great plugin @eltarbos
    works perfectly fine on 2016.5
  • eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message
    v1.02 available   --     Adds compatibility with all maya versions. For maya versions older than 2015, the legacy boolean algorithm is used.
    Of course, the new boolean algorithm introduced in maya 2015 is faster and more robust. With older version, you might experience some weird problems like shader lost or mesh disappearing. The autoUV used for zbrush export might give bad results too.

• Maddog4america
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddog4america polycounter lvl 5
    Im diggin this work flow.      Finally some new features for Mayas lack luster boolean tools!  thankyou
  • kysg
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
    Is this python or mel based?
  • eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg said:
    Is this python or mel based?
    Mel script ;)
  • vexinglion
    Offline / Send Message
    vexinglion polycounter lvl 4

Hey there guys, apologies in advance for my stupid question but how exactly do I run this? I have followed Autodesk's instructions for both saving and running a MEL script but I get nothing. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

It looks amazing by the way

• eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message

Hey there guys, apologies in advance for my stupid question but how exactly do I run this? I have followed Autodesk's instructions for both saving and running a MEL script but I get nothing. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

It looks amazing by the way

Hi Vexinglion,

You just have to put the DcBoolManager.mel in your maya script folder.

If you're on windows, it should be located here:

C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\maya\YourMayaVersionNumber\scripts

then, restart maya and type this command in the command line (or in the script editor):

DcBoolManager;

You can also select the text and MM drag it to the shelf editor to create a button.

• vexinglion
    Offline / Send Message
    vexinglion polycounter lvl 4
    :) Hey eltarbos, Sorry for the late reply....thanks so much for your help. I will give this a try. Thanks again
  • andrelopes
    Offline / Send Message
    andrelopes polycounter lvl 6
    Going to give it a try, thank you so much! :)
  • choi122424
    Really thanks for such a great plug-in.
    Actually, i have some problem.
     i click the icon or roll the scripts, there are no response.
    Any error message or any pop-up windows. Other mel scripts are doing well, and I tired both 2016 & 2017 ver. 
    Have you any  idea about this? :)
  • cookiefrenzy
    Offline / Send Message
    cookiefrenzy polycounter lvl 5
    Hey everyone I seem to get an error whenever trying to create a new boolean operation in 2018.

Documents/maya/2018/scripts/DcBoolManager.mel line 45: No object matches name:

It'd be great if anyone had a solution for this.
  • eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone I seem to get an error whenever trying to create a new boolean operation in 2018.

Documents/maya/2018/scripts/DcBoolManager.mel line 45: No object matches name:

It'd be great if anyone had a solution for this.
    Did you follow the install procedure?
    The script doesn't work if you just copy/paste it in the script editor.
    It needs to be placed in your maya/version/script folder. When it's done, restart maya and use this command to launch the script:
    DcBoolManager;
    If it still doesn't work, I need more infos to help you.
    Does it fails even on simple objects in a clean scene?
    Does the UI shows up?
  • romix
    Offline / Send Message
    romix polycounter lvl 5
    does this script work in 2019?
  • eltarbos
    Offline / Send Message
    romix said:
    does this script work in 2019?
    Yes, it works on all maya versions.
  • jayantbhatt007
    Offline / Send Message
    jayantbhatt007 polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man this is really cool other scripts are paid and having same features thank you so much. :smile:
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    What happend with the script here?
    I cant see the code anymore and i lost my version.
  • alekseypindrus
    Offline / Send Message
    alekseypindrus polycounter lvl 8
    @oglu Gumroad link in OP still works.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Sorry i replied to the wrong boolean script here.
    But testing this one also.