Home Technical Talk

How to bake a ''complete map'' from pbr material

gamzrock
vertex
Offline / Send Message
gamzrock vertex
Hi every one! I'm totally new on polycount but you've already helped me in the past ::pleased:

At work, i'm working on a new pipeline to improve our quality and speed. I already use Quixel at home, so I submitted this software and Substance. My problem is the engine used for the simulator, it only support diffuse map. Our actual workflow is very old, we use 3ds max to bake complete map and tweak them in Photoshop with the AO and an inverted AO (curvature). The results is good, but take too much time. 

So, i'm looking for a way or a software to easily import the model, the maps from quixel and bake a complete map with the look of the PBR. 

Thanks for your help, I hope you have an idea :pleased:

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    You could almost totally automate this workflow in either program. I work with Substance and in Painter you can bake lighting, so I don't think it'd be too much trouble to set it all up to bake your lighting and then optionally pass it all into a Substance to blend your AO and curvature maps.

I often set up material colors in Max, which can be imported into substance, and bake those into a texture to use as a material ID map. Then just go from there and blend together materials I've made. This is a super fast production pipeline in both Designer and Painter, since changing an object means simply dropping a new Substance file in.

The same effect could be achieved through Quixel.
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    Is it possible to send me a basic project as an example? I tried to use Light Baking filter in painter, but I probably doing something wrong because the result is awful, same result with 3ds max render. 

They love the look and the speed of Quixel. It will be hard to convince them to change it, but if it look similar and is quick as Quixel, they will propably accept.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We do plan to natively support "complete map" exports in the near future, for those working on older engines. I have a Smart Material that will do something similar if you'd like to try it out! :)

Check my attachment. Simply unzip this to your *\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Quixel SUITE\presets\Smart Materials\Custom folder to use this inside of DDO. With DDO open, add a Smart Material, select Custom, and select the DDO Base Definition preset.

I built this a while ago for some stylized work I do professionally. Hope it helps!
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    A huuuuuuuuge thanks. I try this as soon as i'm back to work.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Sure!

If you need assistance at all, let me know. SUITE is a huge extension to Photoshop, so don't be afraid to tweak the values I have in there to fit the work you're doing. :)
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    I think I'm a bit lost, I will need your help. I understand the way it works, but i will need your help to use it the way it should :p
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    What time zone are you in? I'm basically the only Swedish guy in Quixel that doesn't live in Sweden, so I'm in EST (Orlando) - I'll be available to sit down and assist tonight around 8:30p. Does that work for you? We use a tool called the Quixel Hangout which will allow you to share your screen with me in real-time so I can assist you through working with DDO. :)
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    Nice coincidence, i live in the same time zone. But unfortunately i'm at home at this time and maybe sleeping (I hope not), I have the entire day to work with your smart material and if you have the time, I can watch you work with for a quick example.

I think I can not show you my screen because of the military model I work on... I don't have any microphone at work either. I know, it's a bit complicated... but you already helped me alot with this smart material.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm unable to assist via the Hangout during the day, unless it's on a weekend. If you could put me in touch with someone at your company, we might be able to work something out. :)
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    I will talk to my boss, I hope we will be able to hangout soon. Meanwhile, do you know a tutorial or maybe a tip to understand the Material XML, the only huge thing i'm looking for it's a more metallic (reflective) material. Overall, it looking very good.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    There's no need to edit the XML. Everything in there is adjusted in DDO. Do you need a metallic look in a diffuse texture? That's usually achieved by a combination of AO and color dodge to add a blurry highlight effect and some contrast.
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    Ok good, I will look. Thanks
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    Is it possible to send me a screenshot, when is possible of course, of the hierarchy and the layers I should add to achieve a reflection of the model by example. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's going to be very model specific. If you have a model that can be used for testing purposes, I can walk you through the process in real-time on our Quixel Hangout sometime. :)
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    It would be nice if you guys made the whole process public. Or documented. ;D
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    I have planned to create or maybe ask for a model that i can bring home and then we will be able to hangout
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Let me know when you're ready! You can reach me anytime by e-mailing jonathan @ quixel . se - this goes directly to my phone, so I'll be able to get back to you ASAP.
  • gamzrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamzrock vertex
    Anything new about a ''complete map export'' in QUIXEL?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    In DDO? Not yet. It's on the roadmap though. Sorry about the wait!