Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Time to remake my entire portfolio.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
My old work sucks. Lets fix this.

The first one hot off the presses.

Also bonus: Made a new sketchbook thread, with a stupid amount of drawings in there. http://polycount.com/discussion/171857/sketchbook-muzz#latest

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Makin some ibuki fanart. Here is the initial sketch.

• Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message

Ok almost ready for colour flats.
  • baconboltz
    Offline / Send Message
    baconboltz polycounter lvl 5
    Looking sweet Muzz, love the mech design :pleased:
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers dude!

Worked out that i wasn't quite sorting out all my perspective issues.

• audi100
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey muzz thats some top notch stuff, great studys in your sketchbook too.
    A thought on your sketches. On the ibuki sketch you went from a "don't fuck with me, or I'am ready to pounce" to a more relaxed pose. In the last sketch thats mainly because her weight is resting on her ass rather on the right leg. Maybe try to relax her knife holding arm also a bit as that still looks kind of tense having it bend back like this.
  • Daew
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, the mech is awesome!

As for the other piece, it definitely has the base to be awesome as well. Though I noticed that there are somethings that are affecting my work and may also be a problem here. 

First thing would be the camera angle, What is your opinion on the current angle that you are using? Does it tell the story you want to tell? Is it interesting to you as an audience? Of course staying with that angle is fine, your mech can attest to that and there are other ways you can tell your story, ala what @audi100 pointed out. 

The second thing would be you are losing the gesture with all the construction shapes. Remember to exagerate, rhythm, straight and curves(opposing forces), balance(gravity) and all that jazz. 
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey, people are actually alive around here!

Thanks guys! Right now I'm actually not so concerned with flow/gesture or story, right now 100% of my efforts are just on solid draftmanship, and stressing that above all else. Part of the reason for going to fanart is specifically so that I can do that, and put the problems of design on the backfoot for a while. So yeah I certainly agree with the crits, but they just aren't the focus at the moment. Like the problem with the initial gesture is that it functionally didn't work, and going through the whole process of redrawing everything a dozen times, while it loses life, informs what i should be doing at the early stages way more than just doing nothing but gesture. So next time I go to do an image like this, i'll be able to better tackle those problems without as many redraws!

Anyhow here is how the current sketch worked out after some more iteration.

I'm actually thinking about redrawing everything and starting from scratch again, as the lessons i've learnt here have pointed out a few things. But we'll see i'm going to sleep on it and think about it.

Might sound like a bit of a copout, but I think honestly to master anything you kind of need this sort of dogmatic approach.

As a side note i cleaned up the mech a bit.

• audi100
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Ok i see. Regarding Craftsmanship you are quite some levels ahead, so i can't really give valuable feedback on that. I  just paint for fun with a basic set of rules that i picked up over time. Really digging into something, analyzing, and taking it appart like you do, definetely will bring you further in the long run. Thanks for sharing your process/progress.
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    A solid start Muzz! I can't offer any suggestions regarding anatomy or perspective, not good enough at those to give any advice. I can suggest brightening up your robot with some bounce light or rim highlights. The machine itself looks great, but the scene feels dark in a way that doesn't really communicate any kind of mood. If you arent aiming for anything past look-at-this-sweet-ass-robot you might as well add the extra light to show off it's forms.
  • Tomiajayi
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    OOhh i really like that robot design.
    it's kind of like an autobot, but kind of anime, but kind of simplified like real robots.. cooool