Home General Discussion

Will I get work VISA without any experience ? Is it possible? need help.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
kunalht polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys. So I had asked this type of question here before but at that time I wasn't sure about somethings. 
I am a computer science student in India and after 1 year I'll finish my course and get a CS degree. After that I want to work as a level designer. Now I want to work in any studio based in canada/USA . But will I be able to do that? Will any studio hire me if I don't have any work experience ?
so does companies hire people from another country if they don't have any work experience ? 
I've been learning to create games and design it from last 1-2 years and I still have 1 year. So I can learn and create things and create good portfolio in that time. 
I was thinking maybe after this if I can't get a job I'll apply for any 1 year game/level design course in those countries but that'll be costly for international students and I want to learn myself. But what should I do? 
Also if I were to start applying , when and where should I start for that ? Like I'll finish my course in maybe april 2017. So when should I start applying? How much time does it takes for the whole process (including VISA)? where should I apply? What other things I should do ? I'll have a computer science degree by then and I heard that having a degree helps getting VISA.

Thank you.

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a brain dump. Sorry if it seems a bit random:

The main thing to remember is you have to prove you're better than the local talent. You have to give the foreign studio a reason to hire you. They incur a cost to help get you a visa and you will have to pay attorney costs as well if you want things to go smoothly.

To enter the United States, you have to enter the visa process before April 1st. April 1st is the lottery. If you are chosen, or if a studio helps you qualify, then the earliest you can move to the United States is October 1st (I believe it's the 1st).

The requirements to obtain a work visa differ a bit depending on the country you're coming from. Your best bet is to start asking the consulate now.

As far as exp goes, you either need your degree or at least 10 years exp to enter the United States. This all varies based on many variables. Talent can definitely help you get into the country a bit faster.

Sharing talent also looks good on your application. Basically if you can prove you're an expert in your field, other countries will want you. So do what you can to talk at trade shows, publish papers, get featured on websites, etc.
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for reply.
    So can I say to the company who hires me like whatever  amount of money they spend for me to hire(and visa process), they can take it from my salary or something like that?
    and for visa I have to show them degree certificate right? which I can only get after my result so something like may-june 2017. Should I start applying before that or not? 
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    short answer to your questions is: very unlikely.

So can I say to the company who hires me like whatever  amount of money they spend for me to hire(and visa process), they can take it from my salary or something like that?
    it is not as simple as that, and it never works like that. you cant ask a company to take out money from salary for x or y. it is very informal and most likely no protocol for it either. also the problem is not the one time expense of the visa process, it is the long term cost of employing you and your salary year after year. you have to be good enough for them to bypass all the local talent and hire you.

the main problem here is your portfolio. it isnt the degree or the experience. if your portfolio was exceptional then the jobs would come looking for your and not the other way around.

why did you choose level design and also have other 3d stuff in your website ? level design is not usually open to junior positions or people who are fresh out of college as far as i know( i could be wrong though). do you perhaps want to be environment artist ? if so, you should focus on environment art only for now.

LMGTFY
    https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+get+a+job+in+level+design

and for visa I have to show them degree certificate right? which I can only get after my result so something like may-june 2017. Should I start applying before that or not?

you should not. there is very little point in applying to such jobs without the proper portfolio, no experience and no certificate. the companies have absolutely no incentive to hire you without any of these. you will be competing with people who have all of the above.

for now you should focus on building your portfolio strong and bold.
    without that certificates are meaningless to most if not all companies.
    once you have good portfolio you should be able to get local jobs and some local experience within your home country and use that to apply for international jobs.

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    I was looking into getting a job in the US. It's a nightmare- even if you pass an art test and secure a job offer, you then have to be lucky enough to get the Visa as they only accept so many applications a year. And THEN, if you get that, it only lets you work there for 6 years, after which you have to apply for a Green Card (from what I gather?), which is yet another massive hurdle! Basically, you have to be worth the hassle for the company trying to get you. Your work has to be top notch, better than anything they could find in their own country (because of you weren't, why would they go through the hassle of the Visa stuff to hire you if they could get the same on their own turf?).

I like the idea of moving to the US myself, but I might also stick to the EU, not sure yet. Well, unless the UK decides to leave... then I imagine even that would be a massive hurdle too haha!
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Keep in mind that any time you need a visa it also might take up a long amount of time to get the beaurocracy done. This depends on the one hand form which country you are and where you want to get it as well as on your personal case. We had a programmer from Venezuela waiting for 10 months to get the work permitt for Austria at our company. You have to be more than just good to be worth the administrative hurdle - and without Visa/work permitt the company can't give you any pay either because you can't be legally employed (mind signing bonuses or whatever, but I wouldn't count on that) - so you better be also able to afford the time waiting for it.

People from the European Union at least don't need any Visa within the Union (most of the times).
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM said:
    short answer to your questions is: very unlikely.

the main problem here is your portfolio. it isnt the degree or the experience. if your portfolio was exceptional then the jobs would come looking for your and not the other way around.

why did you choose level design and also have other 3d stuff in your website ? level design is not usually open to junior positions or people who are fresh out of college as far as i know( i could be wrong though). do you perhaps want to be environment artist ? if so, you should focus on environment art only for now.

LMGTFY
    https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+get+a+job+in+level+design

you should not. there is very little point in applying to such jobs without the proper portfolio, no experience and no certificate. the companies have absolutely no incentive to hire you without any of these. you will be competing with people who have all of the above.

for now you should focus on building your portfolio strong and bold.
    without that certificates are meaningless to most if not all companies.
    once you have good portfolio you should be able to get local jobs and some local experience within your home country and use that to apply for international jobs.

thanks for reply.
    Yes I know my portfolio isn't good enough for getting job. But I'm learning level design(Creating map for new UT now) and will keep doing it and make my portfolio better but I asked this question because I am at the point now where I have to decide whether it is possible or not and whether or not should I go to college for level design. I don't really want to go to college for that but I might have to do it if I don't get VISA directly and for that I have to start  some preparation( IELTS english test + some other things). I am not going to start applying right now without proper portfolio.
    Thanks