Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mayan Warrior

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
Here is a model I worked on a while back. I was making this model for a texturing class. For this assignment, I had to work off of someone else's concept art. I wanted to make a gladiator and this was one of the images that popped up during an image search. The drawing of the concept is not exactly the best out there, but I thought the concept was fairly interesting and it was enough to capture my attention. I know the model itself needs some improvement (The armor looks wobbly and its thickness is off, skin looks like plastic, the cloth doesn't look right, etc.). What I'm wondering is if this model is worth reworking on, or if I should just move on with something else. Also, if you have criticisms, please let me know.

Here is the concept art I was working from:

Here is my model:

Replies

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm guessing from the lack of replies I should probably just leave this model in the past. Hmm... Okay.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    dude you need to be posting regular progress if you want people to reply in earnest. Some really amazing artists can just drop and image and leave, and they'll get a ton of replies-- but you have to really be the best of the best, usually, or have something that's really easy to give feedback on.
    It's not absolutely terrible, but I would say that you're kind of in the middle here so presenting this as a "finished piece" kinda might put people who are just skimming past off.
    The model doesn't seem too bad, so I'd say just reworking it might be a good idea. The textures really need a lot of loving, though, and the cloth needs to be re-sculpted with more reference.

Cheers
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I don't get much feedback on my models here. I also tend to hop back and forth projects whenever I get sick of the one I'm currently working on. It's a little frustrating that I don't get much feedback on my models here, but I'm not going to blame people here for that. Thank for offering feedback anyway and explaining why others don't get much feedback either. As for this model, I think I will move on from here.  
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Don't be discouraged. You have to be consistent on Polycount and while you expect feedback also know that you need to give feedback too. It's a community of friends and colleagues. Keep posting and show progress. Like Bagelhero said, don't call it finished. Post progress along the way so we can give feedback in the early stages before you have fully committed and by that time it's hard to go back and rework early progress. If you don't receive feedback keep posting until you do. 

As far as critiques, you should definitely look at some cloth references. Right now your textures are flat and lacking any grit, dirt, material definition, etc. Keep making progress. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You need noise detail on those pants.  Right now, it's just reading like this flat plastic material.  Do you have a detailed cloth normal noise that's the weave of the cloth that you can apply?
  • melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    Hey there! The main problem is your detail level. Currently your model looks solid, but it lacks detail at a smaller level. I'd recommend looking at actual reference of materials and go beyond your concept. In the concept there is a lot of implied detail. With a 3d model you really need to detail your metals more, give your skin color variation, add subtle fabric detail, and so on. Essentially if you look at your character drastically zoomed out it looks pretty solid but when you zoom in it looks really simple and way too smooth. That is a general critique of your whole character, but I will also name some specific problems: Your sword looks lumpy, its best to add detail like the one at the base of the blade as a separate object rather than sculpting it into the blade of the sword. Unless its an engraving, you want to construct hard-surface pieces (generally) as separate objects put together similar to their actual construction in real life. The edges of pretty much all your metals are way to smooth, it can be a difficult process to add nice crisp edges in zbrush, but if you create them in maya (or whatever traditional modeling application you use) it will be much simpler and you will get a better result then what you have now. I hope I don't come of as a rude, your silhouette is pretty much on point, your anatomy is pretty solid (something I really struggle with). I imagine if you were to rework this you would certainly learn a lot, but I have never reworked a character as I think it would also be a bit boring. Take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm sure you will see from my work I am still learning too. Best of luck! 
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did add some cloth texture, but for some reason within Toolbag it gives off a plastic look. I originally worked on the textures within Substance Painter. Every time I import textures to Toolbag, the textures are always off. Even if I flip the normals by Y, invert the glossiness, and switch the reflection to "GGX," there's always something off. Thanks for the feedback guys. I may or may not go back to this. If I do go back to this, I feel like I would need to redo several hard surface pieces (the z-modeler is a lifesaver) and even change up the concept a bit to make it worth it. Right now I'm busy working on my Red Riding Hood model. I will update that thread fairly shortly. 

P.S. Should I make a thread where I post all of my projects I'm currently working on? 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you want, sure.