Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zameen [Overwatch Fan-made Character] - Mario Manzanares and Tim Moreels

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
Hello Polycount! My good friend Tim Moreels ( @MadGunslinger ) and I are extremely hyped by Overwatch (like all of you, don't try to hide it) so we decided to design a fan-made character for Overwatch, from sketches to the final 3D model. I will be doing the Concept Art and he will be in charge of the 3D, and yes, Polycount is the perfect place to keep a log of the creation of Zameen, master of the poisons.

Last WIP:

Zameen's Lore (WIP and subject to change):

Base of Operations: Nomad/Unknown.
Affiliation: Echis Karinatea
Role: Defense

Acting in the limits of the law, Zameen is a nomad inventor, worldwide famous for his peculiar ideas on the relation between technology and humanity. Before the Omni war, he published a polemic book proposing that technology should always serve humanity. He doesn't see robots as equals, but as servants or pets, even if they could develop their own feelings or desires. This way, he proposes, it's impossible to judge technology as good or bad, but something that completely depends on the creators.

Many protested against this idea, but meanwhile he was able to connect with a numerous group of scientist all over the world that, following Zameen's beliefs and using this new network, created many inventions. Once the Omni Wars started, the group now named Echis Karinatea, started operating outlaw and experimented with the junk and technological waste of the conflict. Both the weapon and the mechanical-snake that Zameen uses in combat are product of this research.

Nowadays, the whereabouts of Zameen are unkown, but the Overwatch heroes know he will never waste the opportunity to hoard the remains of a good fight in order to build something new, so it's easy to find him every time things get out of control

Initial sketches and exploration

In the begging, I fantasized with the idea of an indian buff character to share a story with Symmetra. I just love indian shapes and motifs and I thought it could be cool to mix some organic shapes like the head-wrap with the iconic Overwatch hard surface. When Tim entered in the project, though, we started to get bored of the buff hunky type, and he suggested me to keep the theme but experiment with the snake-charmer idea. I loved it so much and both of us thought: What if he has a robotic snake pet that he can use in combat?

We felt in love with the last drawing you can see in the exploration, so I started making some color variations and ended-up here:

The it was time for his weapon, cause a man can't fight just with a pet snake. As a character concept artist, designing hard surface stuff or weapons was very challenging (yet exciting!). Continuing with the snake theme, I thought that he could be a poison-based heroe. And what could be a better idea than a canon inspired by a Shisha that can shoot poison?

I had so much fun doing these, even if weapon design is totally out of my confort zone and it was terrifying at times. Now we only needed to make all the parts work together, so I did a few poses to explore the silhouette. My favorite one if the following (Disclaimer: it's totally WIP and in the future I would like to re-draw and render it):

At this point, I was confident enough to commit to the final design of the weapon, choosing the parts we Liked the most of the previous designs:

And that's it so far in the 2D realm! Let's see what Tim has to show us.... *grabs a bowl of popcorn*

Replies