Home General Discussion

How did Pros become Pros? (Directed (mostly) towards 3D Modelers / Texture Artists)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
I just recently graduated college and ready to move on to the next step of my life by getting a job (hopefully) and on my quest to move on I found my self astonished by the skills and techniques of other artists. I'm almost intimidated browsing through Artstation and through the forums, because majority of the work there far surpasses my own. Eventually I want my own work to be on par if not above the professionals and skillful individuals, so I was wondering how did the industry all-stars and professionals get to the point where they are now? What tutorials were they using, what were they doing for practice, what kind of workflow do they have, how did they get into the industry? Any kind of information would be helpful.

I'm a 3D modeler/ Texture artist so any information related to those fields would be nice.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've been collecting just this kind of info here on our wiki.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    I'm not sure what kind of texture artist you are (hand-painted, next gen, etc.) but I have a journal that I wrote and update every once in a while with my journey. Feel free to check it out :) 

http://missmaddytaylor.deviantart.com/journal/If-you-want-to-do-art-Then-DO-it-already-220633379

Edit: I think I read through your post too fast - my link is a little more personal than tips but I do have some tips on my DA as well. ^^ http://missmaddytaylor.deviantart.com/journal/Maddy-s-Tips-Building-a-Strong-Portfolio-438342704
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll definitely read through your stuff.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    lots and lots of practice/hard work. There is no real shortcuts or easy way to get good, its simply a matter of pounding on your craft for hours and hours over several years. Most importantly learning something from each project and actually finishing work that is started. getting feedback from professional level people here on polycount is a good step at improving quickly, but the main thing is taking action and producing work.

workflow/tools/tutorials come and go or become irrelevant over the years. acutally getting to work is the main thing that defines the successful people vs those who sit there waiting to be spoon fed the next tutorial. apply lessons from some google research and then simply pump out work. If you make mistakes it doesnt matter as you will already be ahead of 80% of the people who think they want to be game artists, then make posts whining about how to get motivated to do 3d art. Lots of people think they want to be a game artist, the ones who actually do want it are constantly working and break into the industry pretty quickly. #realtalk :P
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lots and lots of practice/hard work. There is no real shortcuts or easy way to get good, its simply a matter of pounding on your craft for hours and hours over several years. Most importantly learning something from each project and actually finishing work that is started. getting feedback from professional level people here on polycount is a good step at improving quickly, but the main thing is taking action and producing work.

workflow/tools/tutorials come and go or become irrelevant over the years. acutally getting to work is the main thing that defines the successful people vs those who sit there waiting to be spoon fed the next tutorial. apply lessons from some google research and then simply pump out work. If you make mistakes it doesnt matter as you will already be ahead of 80% of the people who think they want to be game artists, then make posts whining about how to get motivated to do 3d art. Lots of people think they want to be a game artist, the ones who actually do want it are constantly working and break into the industry pretty quickly. #realtalk :P

Yeah you're absolutely right. Just out of curiosity, how did you get into the industry?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It's work, just a ton of work. the artists you envy on artstation all did the same thing, worked for it for years and years, some of them for decades or more.

as for getting a job or getting into the industry, it's the same. Work hard until you get your skill level to that quality, and you'll find a job.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    ysalex said:

as for getting a job or getting into the industry, it's the same. Work hard until you get your skill level to that quality, and you'll find a job.
    Yep. Discovered polycount in college. Didn't stop working until I made art that hit the quality bar I was looking for. Ended up finishing school up remotely and moved to ATL to work for Hi-Rez. 

Just work work work but make sure each and every project has a clear goal and focus that will help round out your folio. For example, environment art probably wants to see good sculpting ability, good texture work, solid small props, and good texture atlases. Don't bother doing a crazy crazy crazy large environment and get burned out/frustrated and shelve it. Come up with small small scene (based on concept even) that hits all of those goals. That way, the amount of work required for the portfolio piece is broken down into much easier bite sized pieces rather than an entire huge scene where you may have 10 textures to scupt, a few atlases to make, a few dozen props, etc.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    how do people become pros? by getting paid for their work, being a professional is not necessarily connected to being good.

that said if you want to ask how people become good in their profession. it is just hours and days, and weeks and months and years put into their trade. Some will get there quicker, thats what we usually call talent, other will just have to work.
    Many professionals become better in actual work environments, i think working in a team, sharing experience is crucial to getting better, building some workhabits. Having people to connect and share with usually also just pushes one more than being alone by yourself figuring stuff out on your own. It sure is doable, but it is so much quicker with others to give you ideas, techniques, or just links to stuff on the internet.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Neox said:
    it is just hours and days, and weeks and months and years put into their trade. Some will get there quicker, thats what we usually call talent, other will just have to work.
    Personally I feel like "talent" has no meaningful effect on it.

Recent research says genetic markers account for less than 3% of differences in intellect between people.

same study says that achievement is influenced by genetics less than .5%, which means it's basically all work and environment.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/06/educational-attainment-correlated-genes.html?m=1

Its based  on the study of intelligence, but I feel like it applies just as well to art. Inate talent basically doesn't factor into it, it's all about how hard you work and the people you surround yourself with.

just my opinion. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck you it's an elite club. 
    </joke!>
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess once I graduated college I was in a "panic" mode to get a job, but after reading through everyones comment I feel more calmer and focused. Thanks again.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ftsmith said:
    Yeah you're absolutely right. Just out of curiosity, how did you get into the industry?
    For me, I had the chance to learn some 3ds max in high school and I was hearing you could get a job in games without having to college/uni so it instantly appealed to me. I always loved video games so I started learning how to make game art (bad bad art in the beginning). 
    I took a couple years to work on my portoflio, posting on sites like polycount and the old cg chat back when it existed for feedback. I remember I had posted up some shot up concrete barrier prop (super cliche I know) on cg chat at some point and came back a week or so later to see i had a PM notice flashing.

An AD at a small studio in vancouver had seen it and liked it, and wanted to bring me in for an interview. I got super excited and replied right away like a crazy 19 year old kid I was. Then I saw the PM was a week or so old and sent a second reply saying I just noticed that and had calmed down and would be cool to talk. long story short, had a quick phone interview, and they asked me to come in for an onsite interview that afternoon. I lived about an hour drive out of vancouver, so timing was gonna be tight but i hopped in the car and smashed the acclerator, roaring off to the studio, super nervous. The interview was cool, the only thing they were concerned with was my lack of experience at the time, so they gave me a week long art test to do.

For the next week I locked myself in my room and worked on that bitch. Like 8-12 hours or more a day atleast, and that week contained my birthday, which I told everyone to postpone any partying until the art test was done. also, my car got broken into and a window smashed about halfway through that week, which was an added layer of stress. Looking back I worked so inefficently on that thing and made so many mistakes, it was super noob but the most important part was I was enthusiatic, passionate and actually finished it. I also wrote a big writeup of my own personal critiques and the next steps I would take to take it further if I had more time. They really liked that .

So I got the job and my first title I was working on was Socom: Confrontation for ps3, I was a fan of the series so it was fun for me. And now here I am almost 9 years later, having worked at a bunch of bigger studios and moved accross the country to work in montreal. It's been an adventure with ups and downs for sure, and lots of hard work. 

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ysalex said:
    Neox said:
    it is just hours and days, and weeks and months and years put into their trade. Some will get there quicker, thats what we usually call talent, other will just have to work.
    Personally I feel like "talent" has no meaningful effect on it.

Recent research says genetic markers account for less than 3% of differences in intellect between people.

same study says that achievement is influenced by genetics less than .5%, which means it's basically all work and environment.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/06/educational-attainment-correlated-genes.html?m=1

Its based  on the study of intelligence, but I feel like it applies just as well to art. Inate talent basically doesn't factor into it, it's all about how hard you work and the people you surround yourself with.

just my opinion. 
    0.5-3% is not no effect. i am also not a big believer in talent, hence my words that it is usually called talent. to me it is all just work, repetition, exercise etc.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Talent is subjective but I do believe some people have an innate ability to learn things faster, visualize things clearer, and translate that better to a medium in front of them...the rest is of course what people have already stated, a ton of hard work and time.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I don't know how much this helped me, but I made it a point to be making games during my time in uni, or even outside, regardless of what was going on with my work life. Ship stuff on top of making art.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Failing constantly, that is how a pro becomes a pro....   and if you talk to these so called "pro" artist... those artists do not consider themselves "pro".