Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Art Challenge June 2016 (41)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eXecutex polycounter lvl 9

Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Art Challenge for the month of June !!!

Hey everyone ! You said Concept Art ? There is plenty of it !!!
I am so glad most of you guys participated in the previous challenge and you did some really great work ! (except nobody did that sci fi scene with the spaceship (sad face) )
This time I am blasting you with some sci fi stuff along with warcraft and darksiders concepts. You guys have A LOT to do ! 
So, what are you waiting for ? HOP IN NOW ! :D  

As always: You can still work on the previous challenge and keep posting in that thread! I hope you finish your art!

NOTE: This month and the next to come will include environment(exterior and interior) and prop. It's all up to you which you choose to do.

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.
Me: oli-graphics

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working and post your progress in this thread!

Artist: http://chaoyuanxu.deviantart.com/

Artist: http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

Artist: http://www.autodestruct.com/

Artist: http://www.simonstalenhag.se/

Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning, it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down. 

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag is allowed as well)
  • You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums. 
  • I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well   as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close. 
Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.

All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Why are you doing this :( I cant even decide on the concept o.O (and I have yet to finish last month). Seriously tho, great concepts this month, I really like all of them.
  • alexbellato
    Offline / Send Message
    alexbellato polycounter lvl 4
    Let's do it! This is going to be a nice way to practice before I start Gilberto Magno's workshop.
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Lovely choices this month!  I keep being drawn to the really, really creepy eyeball thing....
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Oh shit... I'm a character artist guy, and I can't keep it in my pants for this month's concepts.
  • Rohith06
    Offline / Send Message
    Rohith06 polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys, the concepts look really good. I am going to take part in this challenge, will probably do the environment or the prop piece. My first poly count challenge, any advice will be much appreciated.
  • Rohith06
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again guys. So I did a quick breakdown for the environment piece, let me know your thoughts
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. I plan to work on that concept as well. But I will probably do it like a diorama instead.
  • Lether
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Chaoyuanxu's concept is awsome ! I think i will prefer it as a diorama too. So much hesitation : should I do it or should I not...
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M polycounter lvl 4
    At work right now, but this is perfect! I've been practicing sculpting stonework in zBrush, so I'm going to try my hand at the Darksiders props this month :pleased:
  • JoeTyas
    Offline / Send Message
    JoeTyas polycounter lvl 4
    Will most likely give a couple of these a shot after I've finished my current project - will be back hopefully later this month!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick blockout in 2 hrs...

Sense of scale is all wrong, but that is to be expected lol !!    

Also, frigging Marmoset doesn't like object overlapping... What to do T_T 

• Rohith06
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, the block out looks good. Actually the scale is okay. Nice Job.
  • Supposable Lion
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    All of them look interesting to me this month. :D But I've only got time for one; tough.
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent my evening starting on the blockout of the props from Darksiders (AMAZING game.) I'm trying to get the size and scale perfect before bringing it into zBrush.

Here's what I've got so far:

After posting the photos, I can see some sizing issues with the hinges: they're too tall and skinny. I think they need to be fatter. Also, the rectangular sections of the hinges need to be rotated slightly. 

I have a few questions for everyone though. How would some of you suggest I do the actual door part? Should I just sculpt it in zBrush entirely and use 100% normals to make the detail of the door? Or should I continue blocking out even the detail of the door (like the skull, the teeth, etc.) before bringing it into zBrush? Just trying to get some ideas of what would be the best workflow for a game model. 

If anyone has other suggestions and critiques, please feel free to leave a comment ::chuffed:

Good luck to everybody! This month is full of some great concepts. 
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern Great start so far man. It looks pretty solid. As for the object overlapping, can you just snap them together within whatever 3D modeling software you're using?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Devon M
     Personally, I would create the details of the door in zbrush. For the skulls, as different mesh sitting right on top the door; instead of sculpting the door.
  • Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfido polycounter lvl 11
    Throwing my hat into the ring. It's been way to long. 

Here is the block out and paint over. My main goal is to really push my zbrush skills with this project, so after the block out it's all zbrush.

• SpaceSteggy
    @Devon M That's looking really cool. I was going to pick one of those but decided I need an environment on my portfolio. If it were me, and I'm currently learning my own workflow for zbrush so "grain of salt", I would build out any large features in the door in max or maya. Making sure to make them a little extra chunky for zbrush. The reason I would do it that way is just because I'm not super confident in creating those shapes in zbrush yet and it would be faster for me. For the low poly I would give the skull, the hinges and maybe the bottom panel some extra geometry. Then normals for the rest of that inner detail. My thinking is if it's gonna open or something it might be cool to have that extra volume.
  • kay-vonlanthen
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotten a little further on the block-in and scaling of the door. I made the skull a separate piece and punched out holes for the eyes and nose. I think I'll do the rest of the door in normals. I rotated some of  the hinges to better suit the concept art. I re-scaled the hinges as well.

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Omnicypher polycounter lvl 9
    I started blocking out the Loremaster Library wall. those windows are larger than i thought, and now i'm realizing there are 3 shelves for every 4 railings... which would make my shelves too narrow. 

[ Images Deleted due to photobuckets greed. ]

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Omnicypher Also, don't forget that inside those book shelves, they have a sideways H shape for the shelf (it appears that each vertical shelf has two of these shapes). Yours seem to be all going the same direction. Take another look at the concept art, unless you're wanting to pull away from the style. 

Keep messing with scale. I didn't even realize the number of shelves per railing, so good eye on that. It may help you if you try to get the angle of the shot in the concept art first. If you can get that down, then adding all the extra stuff should be a lot easier. 

Good job on using human size-reference to guide your scaling. Keep pushing it :pleased:
  • Bugpfeife
    @PyrZern looks pretty comfy so far :open_mouth:
    @Omnicypher pretty good idea with the humans as reference!

I also started to begin my scene. I tried to adjust the camera and then build the scene from this perspective.
    Pretty hard to get the right scaling though :anguished:

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    @DevonM Thanks, i want to mostly stick to the concept, unless changing the proportions improves grid snapping. I don't expect 3D game art to match up perfectly with a painting, especially since i only started 4 hours ago, but i would like to get it close. im still not sure about the back window proportions.

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem I have with human figure for scaling is ... well, that's a dwarf... a sitting dwarf. How tall should that be ?
  • Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern said:
    The problem I have with human figure for scaling is ... well, that's a dwarf... a sitting dwarf. How tall should that be ?
    if your architecture was scaled to dwarf proportions, it would be hard to tell they were dwarfs, i would only recommend that for chibi/super deformed styles, like Bravely Default.

fantasy architecture should be large enough to fit the player's camera, and railings should be higher than the center of mass of a character, or else they won't prevent falls. I usually put railings at about 1 meter above the ground, 2 meters wide. doors and windows could be as large as you want in fantasy games, as long as the camera fits. third person games usually have high ceilings. just wing it, and round the proportions to the nearest meter so you can snap parts to a grid easily.
  • Ubuska
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    Hi all! Here's my base mesh in Zbrush.
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Omnicypher Scene is looking nice man :pleased:

I've got the door ready for sculpting. This is a preview smooth, and I've got all my holding edges where they need to be for zBrush. Before I continue though, are there any other pieces I should model out? Any critiques to offer for the current blockout? Thanks guys :)

• Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Did a quick blockout for the infected modem :)
    Still have to finish last month before I start another environment, so I am doing a quick prop for now.

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shyralon Nice start man ::pleased: Really solid so far.
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to add the handles. Gonna jump into zBrush :) Will update when progress is made. 

• PolyShark
    @Shyralon Ditto what Devon said really solid start so far.

Gonna be throwing my hand into this months challenge. I really like the concept by Chaoyuanxu. I've done a breakdown sheet for it and will hopefully have the blockin done soon.

• Rohith06
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys this is my block out for the environment indoor concept. have not decided whether i am going to do it game style or like a diorama. Do the proportions look alright? Please let me know how it is.
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys ill be joining in this month heres my blockout so far

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    ROHITH06  I like your breakdown more than Polyshark's. at a glance, i can get a good sense of the modular parts of the scene.

@PolyShark  that breakdown looks like it took a long time to color and make that color key, but at a glance, i don't see any valuable information in the image, and im not sure what its purpose is. is it to make a checklist for budgeting time? highlighting everything doesn't seem any better than highlighting nothing. to save on draw calls, most of those textures will be put onto the same sheet, so i don't see how naming each material and breaking things down to that degree, really gives you any additional info. what's the difference between a wood pillar 02 and trim 01? aren't they both just wood trim? couldn't almost everything in this scene be described as a trim? 

instead of highlighting parts of concept art, i like to just start sketching out a long trim sheet with all the unique details. once everything is roughly painted in the same texture, i can always separate details to improve memory, like separating parts that require transparency or glow. 

• zekio309
    Offline / Send Message
    zekio309 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys I'm glad I stumbled onto this forum and would like to throw my hat in the ring as well =)

decided to start with the concept pieces from Darksiders 2 and wanted to use 2 of the props to make a start to a scene.

I figured It would be best to start by highlighting the parts of the props I would need to model, then attempt to break it down into wireframe so to make the modeling process faster. my big focus during all of this is mostly to improve my unwraps and texturing because I stink at it.

as for critiques so far I have none because everything posted so far looks good =). I will develop more critiques closer to other projects closing in towards the finish. I also appreciate anyone who would give me critiques and comments through my process of creation.

I will try to post a blockout as soon as possible.

• Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
  • Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ubuska
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
  • zekio309
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ubuska  very nice archway. look forward to seeing the progress on the rest of the door =)

@Omnicypher  I like your approach to the trim sheet. Is there any chance at some point I could have your input on making my own trim sheet for my models ? If so I appreciate your time.

Current progress thus far on the pyre...

• Mrfido
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfido polycounter lvl 11
    Here is my WIP 1 for the model I am working on 

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is my first time actually sculpting something serious in zBrush. I've really only practiced sculpting out stones and steps and such. Going to push my skills as far as I can on this month's challenge. 

I made some headway on the door prop.

I'm trying to sculpt out the major areas of the skull. I'd welcome any and all critiques (I'm fairly new to sculpting and zBrush.)

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    @zekio309 Awesome start man :D That's looking pretty solid :pleased: Don't forget the skulls at the top of the steps to:dizzy:

• Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhh don't know why it spammed a bunch of emoji faces...Sorry about that =P
  • Omnicypher
    Offline / Send Message
    ZEKIO309 I guess its hard to explain, i just start painting trims, with enough variety in convex/concave edges, grout lines, and recessed panels, then add any details that can't be easily made from those parts, to the bottom of the trim sheet. i make a rough painted set of trims before i even start modelling, so i have something to unwrap to as i model.

• PolyShark
    @Omnicypher Hey Omni thanks for the feedback! I should have explained the breakdown itself. The purpose for this sheet was  for me to break down the actual 3D models themselves. So a "wood pillar 2" and a "trim 1" are both going to be separate models in the scene itself. And yes a lot of the textures for these models will be sharing the same texture sheet. So trims 1-5 will all be on one texture sheet. Same with the scrolls and the books and most other assets in the scene. I see now how the breakdown would be confusing for people as I didn't specify which assets would be unique or tillable or sharing the same texture sheet. I also definitely agree with you that I didn't need to spend that much time coloring the whole concept and should of kept it more simple while still being easy for others to understand.   

Got the blockin for it complete. I'll be using UE4 for this. Just using a directional light for now but will change this later. And some models having lighting errors due to UVs. I'm noticing some of the proportions need to be fixed as well like the bookshelves being to wide, table is to small, windows could be moved higher up. 

• Supposable Lion
    Offline / Send Message
    Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
    Here's the blockout/rough scene set up. I haven't decided how I'm going put together the winding road but I did figure out the car to be a 1977 Dodge Monaco.

• Merlynn
    Offline / Send Message
    Merlynn polycounter lvl 8
    Gonna join this month. Still need to refine the blockout a bit. I'm not really confident about the skull, so I will either replace it or add it later if I still have time.

Good job so far, everyone =)

@Mrfido the sculpt looks very promising. You might want to sharpen it a bit since it looks a bit soft in some areas.
  • zekio309
    Offline / Send Message
    @PolyShark looking nice I cant wait to see the fully textured scene.

@Omnicypher thanks for the tidbit of info.!

my progress so far today has been modeling the staircase.

and now the part I dread most.... textures =(
  • Devon M
    Offline / Send Message
    Diving into zBrush like this has taught me SO much. I'm "fairly" new to the sculpting scene, but I'm loving it so far. This is one of my first sculpts (aside from a few rocks). I've learned about image planes and how to setup reference images, Dynamesh, Symmetry, general sculpting techniques, and a load of other zBrush techniques. I'm happy to say the least :)

Still have a lot to go, but I'm proud of the progress I've made so far. I'd love critiques over the progress so far, but it is still a wip.