Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Artist Demo Reel - Feedback needed and appreciated

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi guys,

I'm finishing my degree in animation & vfx and just put together my final show-reel and would really appreciate some feedback on it 

It mainly focuses on 3D modelling, with elements of texturing and lighting

Here's the link 

Thanks in advance  =)

Replies

• Snollygoster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snollygoster vertex
    The texturing and the lighting on your stills are amazing!!!!! I wish you to impart some of your knowledge to me if it's not much ;) ....I need to know how you made that fuss rug without having your PC explode on you (everytime I've tried I've made maya crash after a 30 min freeze....it's the 2016 edition that uses Xgen for those things). The modeling part is also really well done if you're going for some low poly models showcase (if not then I would say to add a bigger poly count to the deadpool and the wolverine to add a little of extra smoothness...although you've probably already considered that).  If I have to say something negative or something that definitely needs reviewing and remaking would be your animation sequence. The models have extremely unnatural movement. They jump alot and displace in a way that is just unsettling unfortunately, if you definitely want to include that in your demo reel I would say to expend a little extra time working on those because it might distract of what you're really trying to show off which is your mastery in lighting texturing and modelling. If you rigged them yourself then add a little extra controls for the fingers in the jack-in-the-box and the wolf's legs so you can perform a more smoother movement on them! I'm not sure if I can say much anymore since I'm definitely no expert but I got to say some of the things that you showed are really attractive and I would like to see more of your work :)
  • Jak_the_Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The texturing and the lighting on your stills are amazing!!!!! I wish you to impart some of your knowledge to me if it's not much ;) ....I need to know how you made that fuss rug without having your PC explode on you (everytime I've tried I've made maya crash after a 30 min freeze....it's the 2016 edition that uses Xgen for those things). The modeling part is also really well done if you're going for some low poly models showcase (if not then I would say to add a bigger poly count to the deadpool and the wolverine to add a little of extra smoothness...although you've probably already considered that).  If I have to say something negative or something that definitely needs reviewing and remaking would be your animation sequence. The models have extremely unnatural movement. They jump alot and displace in a way that is just unsettling unfortunately, if you definitely want to include that in your demo reel I would say to expend a little extra time working on those because it might distract of what you're really trying to show off which is your mastery in lighting texturing and modelling. If you rigged them yourself then add a little extra controls for the fingers in the jack-in-the-box and the wolf's legs so you can perform a more smoother movement on them! I'm not sure if I can say much anymore since I'm definitely no expert but I got to say some of the things that you showed are really attractive and I would like to see more of your work :)
    Thanks for the feedback, it was much appreciated.

I'm too sure if I'm the best to go to if you want some imparted knowledge lool. For the room, I used the hair and fur modifier in 3DS Max rather than Maya, so if you're able to use 3DS Max, maybe give it a try?

With the modelling stuff, I agree that I need to increase my polycount, but because it usually increases my render times, I tend to sacrifice polys in some areas. I definitely try to improve on this. 

The animation and rigging was done by another member of my group for that piece, and it's sad that it kinda let's down the the short but I'm happy that it still looks quite good in terms of the models (as that was my role lool)

Really appreciate the feedback tho, it really helped (:
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    Why is this in the animation section of the forum? The focus of the reel is modeling and texturing, which would belong in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques. (Mods? @slipsius ?)

A few things I see:

+ Deadpool diorama is fun! The chibi look is entertaining and well-executed.
    + Cool sharp & flowing forms on the Batmobile.
    + Good work on the archviz renders, you've definitely got the clean (if a tad clinical) interior look down.

- If you'd like to showcase the models you did for the group project, it would be better to render presentation stills and turntables of them rather than have sub-par animation distract from the work you did.
    - Deadpool diorama: the wood material on the ground is way too shiny and the poses could be pushed more.
    - Is that Mental Ray Final Gather / GI blotches all over your Batmobile Lambo interior animation? Can't say I know a good way to get rid of it right off the bat, but it's distracting. Also, the texture scale on the leather surfaces is too large. The steering wheel looks like gray styrofoam.
    - You labeled the Tribal Man as a concept, thus I see no need to show the straight-from-ZRemesher wireframe. What I would like to see, on the other hand, is more attention to proportions as well as accessories, weaponry and such that give the character more of a sense of purpose and backstory. The scars and piercings are a good start, this guy is definitely some sort of a warrior or hunter. What kind of tools or weapons does he use?
    - Another point on the Tribal Man: if you're modeling for a cool concept render, you'll generally want to have your character posed in a interesting, dynamic way, not in a T-pose.
    - V-Ray with its out-of-the-box global illumination makes everything look nice 'n' realistic, but you could explore more interesting lighting scenarios. Right now it's mostly almost-blank backrounds or env maps or white/off-white lights.
    - No point in taglining your reel 'Student Reel' IMO. Sounds mostly like "I do not have confidence in my work".

Now all this might sound a bit harsh, you've put a lot of effort in and come a long way. No need to get discouraged. The competition you'll need to match and exceed is pretty tough if you're going for the realistic VFX/AAA type of modeling work. The quirky and cartoony stuff also needs a lot of hours to develop into something extraordinary. Just keep pushing, work smart and have fun and you'll get there eventually. Give your projects the time they need to truly stand out. Good luck! :):)
  • Jak_the_Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce said:
    Why is this in the animation section of the forum? The focus of the reel is modeling and texturing, which would belong in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques. (Mods? @slipsius ?)

A few things I see:

+ Deadpool diorama is fun! The chibi look is entertaining and well-executed.
    + Cool sharp & flowing forms on the Batmobile.
    + Good work on the archviz renders, you've definitely got the clean (if a tad clinical) interior look down.

- If you'd like to showcase the models you did for the group project, it would be better to render presentation stills and turntables of them rather than have sub-par animation distract from the work you did.
    - Deadpool diorama: the wood material on the ground is way too shiny and the poses could be pushed more.
    - Is that Mental Ray Final Gather / GI blotches all over your Batmobile Lambo interior animation? Can't say I know a good way to get rid of it right off the bat, but it's distracting. Also, the texture scale on the leather surfaces is too large. The steering wheel looks like gray styrofoam.
    - You labeled the Tribal Man as a concept, thus I see no need to show the straight-from-ZRemesher wireframe. What I would like to see, on the other hand, is more attention to proportions as well as accessories, weaponry and such that give the character more of a sense of purpose and backstory. The scars and piercings are a good start, this guy is definitely some sort of a warrior or hunter. What kind of tools or weapons does he use?
    - Another point on the Tribal Man: if you're modeling for a cool concept render, you'll generally want to have your character posed in a interesting, dynamic way, not in a T-pose.
    - V-Ray with its out-of-the-box global illumination makes everything look nice 'n' realistic, but you could explore more interesting lighting scenarios. Right now it's mostly almost-blank backrounds or env maps or white/off-white lights.
    - No point in taglining your reel 'Student Reel' IMO. Sounds mostly like "I do not have confidence in my work".

Now all this might sound a bit harsh, you've put a lot of effort in and come a long way. No need to get discouraged. The competition you'll need to match and exceed is pretty tough if you're going for the realistic VFX/AAA type of modeling work. The quirky and cartoony stuff also needs a lot of hours to develop into something extraordinary. Just keep pushing, work smart and have fun and you'll get there eventually. Give your projects the time they need to truly stand out. Good luck! :):)
    Hi Limeforce,

Sorry, I'm new to the whole forum thing and I wasn't too sure what section to put it in

Thanks for your feedback, I do agree with most if not all of it. I really do appreciate you taking some time out to give me back very relevant critique.

Now that I'm finished with my degree, I'm hoping to push forward my skill-set with some independent projects and continue learning.

Thanks again (:
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Moved to the appropriate forum.
  • AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
    I would focus on improving texturing, mostly in substance painter.