Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch Mashed Up Character - Reaping Tracer

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
I realized I haven't started my own thread-project in quite a long while now. And that I miss receiving important harsh feedback on how to improve my art further than I could on my own. I mean, I'm happy that now I can totally finish a project on my own, but I believe I could do a much better job with everyone helping me.  So, please, help me ^^

>> Project Goal <<
ZBrush  Sculpt -> Lowpoly -> Texture -> Pose > Nice lighting -> Render
                         -> Posed Sculpt -> Render

I believe Blizzard already released character spec/budget for Overwatch characters. So, I will follow the guideline.

>> Components <<
Reaper's Mask + Right Arm.
Symmetra's Left Arm
WidowMaker's Leggings
Mercy's Legguards
Tracer's Hair and Torso.

Here is what I have so far. I will show her face next time.

C&C Welcome.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my, no comments. Guess I don't make major grave mistakes like I used to anymore.  Let's keep going then.

So I worked on a few more. Mostly I hard-surface the gauntlets and the leggings pieces. Will add more details to those soon. RIght now I'm focusing on the shape and silhouette. Now I'm wondering if her crotch is too... short or not. As in, placed too high ?  ANd if the thigh gap is too much... Also might change the shape of her jacket's collars a bit. So it breaks the shape and not become part of her torso. We will see.

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I really like her chestgear, excited to see the final outcome :)
    What is currently bothering me the most is the shape of her hair which seems to lack the iconic "horns" on top of it.
    Also it is shaped a bot like a heart which all in all makes her look like an older woman.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting. Haven't even thought of that. I will play with her hairs and maybe shape of her head a bit as well.
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Man, what is going on with Tracer these days :D She's everywhere! Overwatch's top hero isn't she?

Anyway, It's looking really good so far. I'm quite bad at anatomy so I won't say much except the hands looks really small to me, as does the head. I also dislike the shape/silhouette of the tibia's armor pads. Their width and curve doesn't read too feminine to me compared to the rest of the character which reads well and looks good

I also agree with Shyralon about the hair.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have no idea about the trend... I started on this like a whole month ago now. :(  And I don't even play Overwatch...  But Tracer seems like a fun character to make. 

The greave armors are borrowed from Mercy, and I actually still working on their shape... I will continue playing with them some more. Though I dislike Tracer's original running shoes design...

Failed at her hair there, lol. 

Are the hands actually small, or was it the angle presented ?  Here's sideview.  

• Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like her neck is too large and the sterno-cleidos too defined for a slim, stylized and feminine character such as Tracer, even though this is a mashup, without the typical haircut the face in itself looks like Zarya's. Also I think the huge calves armor piece make the design unbalanced and call the purpose of the character into question -> going fast ? But that's just my two cents.

Anyway, subbed this thread, keep it up !
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the overall design of the upper half! Here's a few small observations, take them with a pinch of salt.

Firstly, her small head gives the impression that she's almost 7 feet tall. Either that or the neck is too large. It might be worth trying to change the proportions around a bit and see if a more petite figure fits her better.

Secondly, I'm not a fan of her huge shin armor. I think it steers away from what I've mentioned above. Also, looking at the latest renders, her hands might be indeed a little on the small side.

Lastly, I can't comment on your influences as I don't play Overwatch and I'm not awfully familiar with its characters, but I think this is a very good start. The upper half and her face in particular are the strongest points so far!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Really help me a lot.

* I'm spending more time on her face and head in general at the moment. Plan to slim down her face a bit and more boney features. Maybe with a tiny bit of expression built-in. Also adding more stray hairs, and the 'horn' bit. Shouldn't be too hard.

* Right now she's at a whooooooooping 7.5 head tall. I will look more into different body proportions. Usually I make heroic characters, so I will see about other options I have.

* Now, the shin armors. This is probably going to be debatable. And again, I don't play the game itself, impressions I have are purely from cinematic videos and pictures and fan arts. I think of Tracer as more ..... acrobatic than athletic. So... fast, but also quite strong. Jumping and somersaulting and shit. Lots of picture I see, she's posed in this high energy, very dynamic... upside down and what not... thing.  So, to me, that means, more muscles. And therefore, powerful shape to the calves area. (actually, her bieps and forearms too) Original running shoes make me think of .... the Flash, I guess... But I want the Spiderman... kinda thing. But I digress. Anyway, I will slim down the shin armors and see if I could have some of the best of both worlds.   #Srynotsry for being stubborn :P

• Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I really like the idea but I have to agree with what has been said about the leg armor, they offset the whole design immensely. Reaper can pull it of because he has a big body and feet to offset them but Tracer is so slim and limber that they look out of place. I would also suggest slimming down her neck as the size of it now makes her head look tiny (which it is but you mentioned why already).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've got some updates here. Some others are still work in progress....

* First off; the most important one: the leg armors. I have slimmed it a lot; and changed its overall design from what I had before. I hope this would work out better.  I think the current shape now shows sleek design; which is fitting to the character. And still keep her overall look of a fast and agile and acrobatic character.
    * Her head; I have adjusted her neck and her face a bit; as well as her hair. I will add more stray hair strands down the road. Also; I'm going to do something with her eyelids... They... look weird upon close inspection. She will wear Reaper's mask. But I want to pose her with her mask half-removed too. So her face must look good as well. Maybe I will move her eyes closer together a bit as well. And maaaaybe just a bit bigger eyes and less sultry look.
    * Her gauntlets are still work in progress at this point. Though I am quite content with their silhouette.... They will look more sleek; soon.
    * I haven't touched on her overall proportions yet.. She's still 7.5 heads tall atm.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried making Tracer less tall, but I wasn't happy with it... :(   So I went with modeling her guns instead.... 

Still gonna tweak her shin guards just a tad more, though its general shape will stay now.

• Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hi!
    I'm not exaclty sure what style you are thinking when it come to the face.
    I'm not sure if you are trying to really make her look like tracer or just kind of similar-ish.
    In this case since I wasn't sure I just did an overall look over what you have for the face atm without actually just trying to make you copy the character.
    I think there is a lot of issue with the face, the mouth look very unatural, almost like if the corner of the mouth were sucking in.
    There is not much shape to the eyes, they need to be reworked as so that we can feel there is really an eye socket and a lower eye lid.
    The eyes are also a little too far apart. I would leave the eyelashes out at least until the eyes are fully sorted out. They are also very noisy and do not really look like eyelashes.
    If you are going in the style of overwatch they seem (from what I could find) to be using a thick eyelashes line instead of regular eyelashes.

Anyway I'm really not the greatest at paintover and that's why I usually dont do it but hopefully that's helpful.

keep going :) I like what you did with the clothing and suit, the sculpt is very clean
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I was scrolling down, was thinking about doing a PO and lo and behold Marie beat me to the punch. +1 to all points @Tits bought up!
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @BagelHero I'm terrible at paintover tho, if you can do better please go ahead!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tits   Thanks a lot for the paintover! Appreciate it a lot.  (BagelHero, feel free to make one as well though ^^)
    To be honest; I'm not quite sure which style I want for her face yet... For lowpoly I might do hairplanes and go more semi realistic style (instead of hairspike like in sculpt version). But I will definitely work on her face even more. Eyelids and mouth corners have been the bane for me for quite sometimes now.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd put this up as well while I'm working on it.  Definitely looks funny from side view xD  Most likely gonna replace of the hair strands and reshape some of them for sure. But I'm gonna focus on her face just a bit more first.

• Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I did a quick paintover gif (just the image here), I hope it helps.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAGIHAT That's very helpful. Thanks a lot! I was scratching my head especially about the area below her eyes and cheeks area. Your PO makes it quite clear now. 

She looks a bit Asian without the makeup on    (o_O)'  Must be the eyes. I'm gonna work more on that.
    Also gonna work more on the nape of the neck; to match the new Widowmaker hairstyle :P

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The ponytail doesn't work man.  You would never have short hairs on the side and back like that with a pony tail.  All the hair would be pulled back to the pony tail.  You should either redo the hair to work with a pony tail or just scrap it.  
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @slosh
    Wait? really ?  Can't I do something like this ? (well, with exaggeration)  What must I do to pull it off, while still keeping Tracer's iconic hair silhouette ? I don't mind starting over if I can have both.

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You could but do you find that attractive?  It's pretty awkward...basically a female mullet.  
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it doesn't cover your head like a melon/mushroom, I think it looks ok, no ?? 

I mean, it's been done a lot in videogames and comic. But I wonder if it would work in a more realistic style ?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You've seen hair in games that is short on the sides and back and has a ponytail?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmm.... Is it an Asian thing ? I consume bunch of Japanese games/anime/manga a lot as I grow up, so that kinda hairstyle is nothing new to me; and I don't find it weird. But is it strange to other ppl ??

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    To me, its pretty damn bizarre and I can't see blizzard characters having that hair.  Yuna's hair works A TAD mainly because its covered up to the end and reads more as an accessory than hair.  The 2nd and 3rd images look strange to me.  Even then, these hairs are longer than what you have and the hair is just a braid coming off the bottom whereas you have a ponytail sprouting from the middle of top of her head...which is definitely stranger.  But, it's your character so you are free to do what you want.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good point there man. I will see if I can make some compromises between the designs... Obviously I want ppl to like stuff I make too.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I'm going to point out something; Those are low ponytails. It works; layered haircuts and all that. But uh. How you have it...

The long bit would have to be coming from the middle of her head... Slosh is right, it isn't really just that it doesn't look good or mesh, it makes no sense.
    I did a PO (also, you didn't quite get tracers style right; get more ref, there at least 2 official model references). Additionally, the hair overall should be a lot smaller (or the face bigger). It's kinda comical right now.

As for the face itself, I think the eye area needs more love (try to get all the planes of the eye in there, and refine the eye shape) and the nose is a bit idd from just the front. Importantly, also, the cheeks seems a bit inflated right now; it should be lifted a bit.

It's coming along. Hope dropping in and being kinda blunt isn't too much of a problem, haha. :+1:

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover man. I thought her hair goes the opposite direction and was wondering why it didn't work... Well, still not totally working right. Tracer's hair is weird...  

But I did reach the same conclusion about the low/high ponytail.  Anyhow, still look funny from sideview though.  Are there better images of Tracer's hair ? I use the official one for cosplayer and fan arts mostly. Hair part is the most vague part...

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Face lift... Before -> After     Mostly around eyelids, and cheeks.
    Can't see what's wrong with the shape of her nose... T_T  I use realistic reference, though.

Made new hair.   Note; front part of the hair seems a bit floaty because there's Reaper's mask too.

• TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Crazy idea! Execution will be the hardest part to pull off since you're mixing everyone into one.

For Tracer's hair, you are missing the main silhouettes that define her default hair. I did a Tracer fan art before and the hair was definitely one of the harder parts to tackle, so it may take some time to really get it feeling right.

Generally I think the curves on your strands could be a little less curled, its currently making it look very slicked, rather than spiked. Exaggerate the chunks of hair, especially her "horns" that define the top part of her silhouette. Here's a rough paintover to illustrate what I mean: 

Her front fringe sort of clumps together, and this is another thing to keep in mind. Look at how @Tits did it in her paintover. In terms of flow, I  reckon your previous take on the hair was better on track than your latest one.

Keep it up. Hope this helps!
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Great idea.

1. I noticed Tracer gained in popularity after her butt pose controversy. But she was in the front since the cinematics /shrug
    2. Check out these artists:
    Pior Oberson - It is of my opinion his personal style had a large impact on Overwatch's final art style. Beastly that one.
    Arnold Tsang - He was the lead concept bad ass on Overwatch, clearly helped refine Overwatch's final art style.
    Renaud Galand - He made Tracer's model, extremely bad ass and the kindest dude you'll ever meet.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, lemme say this now that I appreciate all the helps I've been getting thus far. Without these helpful feedback, I probably would have called this all done awhile ago already. (like, even before I made this thread). And it would have been just another piece; not great, just another 'meh'. So, thank y'all.

@TomGT  I agree completely on the chuck of the hair. I find that I make the hair too much of a plane, and so it's hard to get both the shape and the coverage right. Thanks much for the paintover man.

@killnpc   I dunno man. I just finished ArenaNet's art test and then jumped on this project since mid April :surprised:  But you're right, I notice a lot of Tracer's fan art on the Internet lately... (and Widowmaker, of course).  Thanks for the links. I will look em up and see their styles.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted her proportions today. She's now about 7 head tall. (would have been less, but it seems I made her chin smaller as well...). She's also slimmer too.

Will continued adjusting her face and her hair.

• Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hi!
    I think you still need more work done on the face (don't get discouraged! faces are hard!!)
    Now that you are talking proportions, I was a bit worried when you said 7 head talls which would be a bit too small (usually I wouldn't go under 7 1/2)
    but from when I checked she seemed a bit closer to 7 3/4 which is good IMO.
    I believe the neck is currently too long and so I believe the collar bone and breast area are a bit too low.
    The red dot Is about the area where the waist/belly button should be .
    I believe the width of her hips is currently a bit too high at the moment, if you notice the widest part is isually slighly lower.
    Hope it helps!

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, when I said 7-head tall, I considered some of her hair too... as in; generally perceived as head area kind of thing. Anyhow...
    Whoaaa, her collar bones are totally off there... Great catch with the breasts and the hips. I think I had the hips area better before I slimmed her down.

Gonna work on this the next day, then continue with her face !!

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update is here; far left is before. The rest are what I have now. I made lots of small changes as well as those pointed out. This also includes the head/face, even though she looks pretty much the same...... Couldn't break away from that look now. Though I believe I improved her eyelids area further.

• Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    The tighs are still unnaturally wide and bulky. Even if you are going for a more stylized look they are offset by the low waist and thin torso.

The face is also lacking some important features that makes her look like she has no jaw. This problem is something nearly all your faces have in common. I did a little liquify-filter thing to illustrate http://i.imgur.com/FKSbx4N.jpg.

This is by no means perfect nor should it act as a guide of what to fix but it should be a hint for what you need to work on. Not only with this particular model but also when it comes to your anatomical knowledge.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Magihat   Whoaa, wait a min. Doesn't that make her look... fat ???  The jawline thing. I mean, I'm not gonna take it at face value (gonna do more research on my own too), but how much is good for stylized anime-ish character.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    PyrZern said:
    @Magihat   Whoaa, wait a min. Doesn't that make her look... fat ???  The jawline thing. I mean, I'm not gonna take it at face value (gonna do more research on my own too), but how much is good for stylized anime-ish character.
    If that is your idea of "fat" then the look of your characters finally makes sense to me. I would not call that even remotely fat.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not fat as in fat fat. But more like comparing to the Blizzard style. Was pretty sure Tracer's face/chin is more of a 'V' than a 'U'.   But I think I can adjust some jawlines without altering her cheeks too much...

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Assani, have you thought about just ripping the OVerwatch models from SFM and using that as the base?
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    V-shape you say? Its all a matter of perspective. Of course a head leaned downward have a more V-like shape (which is why people like to take pictures from above as it makes their face look thinner) but that does not change the fact that Tracer does not have such a harsh V-shape head-on like you have. I did not even look at Tracer while I did the adjustments but I still think that they are closer to the actual Blizzard design. Most features are way softer than what you have currently which makes her look more manly than she should. I hope I don't come across as harsh I am just trying to get straight to the point and make you examine your weak points as they have been pointed out from early on. You are going in the right direction but maybe you should try to make some bigger changes and scale back rather than inch along with minute changes like you have until now?

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @"Brian "Panda" Choi" I was hoping not to have to do that... If I can't work from concept arts, then I don't know why I am doing all this... Granted, I'm making a lot of stuff as I go, as well as not locking down either art style or having final concept to work from...

@Magihat You're right. I probably should push for the extreme and adjust back; since seem I am stuck in a one-face type mindset right now. I will duplicate lowest subdiv level, and build it back up again from concept + paintover without comparing to what I currently have until it's done.  Thanks for the feedback man.  I've been here for awhile now, and I can wholeheartedly say that I am here because of the harsh feedback I can get.

• Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    PyrZern said:
    @"Brian "Panda" Choi" I was hoping not to have to do that... If I can't work from concept arts, then I don't know why I am doing all this... Granted, I'm making a lot of stuff as I go, as well as not locking down either art style or having final concept to work from...
    I would recommend against doing that, I don't believe you'll be learning anything from it.
    Of course it would be easier to just rip the model off and start from it but the goal is to get better and learn from our mistake.
    The goal is to be able to reach that quality and to replicate some style and work in different art direction.
     You are doing this the proper way right now.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resculpted a few pieces. Will make some changes to the shape of the boots from the side and from 3/4 from behind. Also will make them shorter so they won't restrict her movement when she bend the knees. Gonna work more on her gauntlets as well.

• TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Good progress! Since you are working on the greaves, I feel there is still a lot of thinning to do to match it to Mercy's. The current shape is quite bulky and I initially thought it was Reaper's (until I read your component breakdown). Have a look at the Overwatch model ref sheets if you haven't already. 

Once the legs are thinned, the overall silhouette should start to look better and more agile. 

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trimming a few parts down a bit. And working on the gauntlets.
    Mercy's ankles are very very slim though... I don't think I want to go that slim.

• amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looking forward to see how this turns out
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    I like the overall look, but her jawline is too pronounced I think. 
    Also, the connection between neck chin, is tad too far. 

http://pm1.narvii.com/6054/5ef43e2724e888a55d3758020e7a3309aeed0c3a_hq.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jakub
    I'm sorry. The connection between her neck and her chin ?