Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Room - Fusion 360 workflow test

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
I'm reworking an old piece I made in ZBrush in Fusion 360. As a first step I rendered out my old piece in Zbrush in orthographic views and brought them in as canvases in the front and back view.  I then traced out the basic shapes with sketches (they snap to the edges of the image!).  Then I started reworking the design and coming up with something new.

It's still WIP. I've got a whole room blocked in, and I hope to finish it up in Zbrush and KeyShot. More to come!

This was the original piece made in Zbrush.

Replies

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Looking good, have to take a look at fusion 360 myself it looks very handy.
  • kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting, looking forward for more. Will you be creating a environment with this workflow?
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I do plan on creating all of the assets for an environment with Fusion 360.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    @dtschultz have they fixed the performance issues yet? I found a heavy-ish scene to start to slow down fairly quickily. Felt like building/designing a whole asset in that app would get super slow. I'm very interested in using it for hard surface though :)
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    My biggest hangup on Fusion has been the amount of time it takes to retopo everything from scratch. I'll be interested see how you tackle that / methods you devise - I'm sure you'll have more success than I have :)
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel: It does still get a bit laggy, but to combat this I've started building my objects with components that are linked from different designs.  It's basically just like xrefs in 3ds Max, and by working in several smaller it helps keep my scene lag down. Kirill Chepizhko describes the process here: https://youtu.be/ZsdggH_hdns?t=2338

Kadeschui:  I've just started testing the high to low poly creation from fusion 360, but if you use 3ds Max and export it as an .iges, when you import it into Max it brings it in as a Body, and you can reduce the density of the mesh by changing the curve settings, etc.  It still takes some cleanup for sure, but it does a pretty good job.    And I know a few other people who came up with the idea of removing some of your chamfers temporarily in Fusion 360 before you export the mesh to create your low poly from, and that seemed to work pretty well.  Unfortunately, I think you have to have 3ds Max 2016 or later, I believe, for this to work.
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm still working on this scene. It's all Fusion360 for right now. The render is not the best (because I don't have much control over the lighting in Fusion) and there's a lot of rough geo in here, but it's starting to head in a direction (hopefully, a good one :)).

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Hey David, I was curious and anyone else is free  to answer this, isn't fusion 360 cad software, can you use it for games? what would the benefits to using it over max/maya?
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Great models. I'm curious about what export options you got in Fusion. I had to handle some .step files from Inventor and had to rebuild everything. I read that you commented on retopo in Fusion so Im guessing this might be why?
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message

Deforges: It is a cad program.  Yeah, this is the tricky part is how much time you gain from using this software to model versus how much clean up there will be.  I have yet to use it in game dev, but from some tests that coworkers did, it appears to not need to much cleanup to work for us in engine.  Check out some videos though. You can see how much easier it is to boolean and cut in complex shapes, etc.

KurtR: Thanks!  I've been using .iges, but you could also use .stl.  These assets are all going to be pre-rendered, so I'm not going to do any clean up on these.  This is quickly becoming a part of my pipeline, so I'll have more info as I get more dev experience with it, and I'll be sure to share what I find.
  • Methexis
    Offline / Send Message
    Methexis vertex
    I did made this whole asset pack using Fusion 360.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrEo49FwT8E
  • Tomiajayi
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    beautiful mix of hard and curved surfaces.
    how do you do those cutouts for the little grooved bits?
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I am finally done with this one. I did most of the early concepting of this in Zbrush. I remade the pieces in Fusion 360, then I exported them out to Zbrush and built out the scene there. I exported this back out to Keyshot and then did final tweaks in Photoshop.

P.s. Sorry, I missed these last two posts, I didn't see an email.  Tomi: if you tell me which piece specifically, I can try and answer.
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    One more go at this. I think the separation of foreground and background is better and hopefully I made the wire placement a little bit better.

• skycity02
    Offline / Send Message
    skycity02 polycounter lvl 7
    wow that is very good work!
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much!