Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Wars Mania: Docking Bay 94

Replies

• HowardDay
    Offline / Send Message
    HowardDay polycounter lvl 10
    I am going a bit nuts waiting for updates on this. I'd love another walkthrough of where you guys are at now! 
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay-Lew polycounter lvl 3
    HOWARDDAY  >  "I am going a bit nuts waiting for updates on this. I'd love another walkthrough of where you guys are at now! "

Hopefully soon! Got derailed by a couple of paying jobs, but finished those and am back on this project. Should be integrating some new stuff from others working on the project here soon also. Will try to do an update here maybe next week some time.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to check out our stuff! If anyone has any thoughts, or ideas of things to add, or ways to turn up the Nerdgasm factor of this project to 11!!! please feel free to post it!

Thanks again!
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Damn! The first time I saw this thread I didn't think too much of it. 
    A lot of people start threads with super complicated sci-fi fan art and mostly get discouraged very early on,

but you sir are so delivering.
  • PatoGrande
    Offline / Send Message
    PatoGrande polycounter lvl 11
    Hey everyone, I'm the guy working on the Gonk droid. I've got a micro-update for you all since I don't have the UDK file on me right now, but I do have my model textured! Here's a quick screenie from Quixel Suite.

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone!!!! So my last update on the project was a little over a month ago. Sorry this one is a little late, I was going to get it up last week, but with the holidays coming up life has gone to ludicrous speed! So progress continues on our Mos Eisley environment, and as I mentioned a couple weeks ago, I had a few paying jobs that derailed me from this, and I was out of town for a week also, but myself and the others working on this with me have been able to get some stuff in.

First off, I did a BIG revamp of the layout of the city. I wanted to get the stuff on the side that the Cantina is one to be more screen accurate to the movie. It's not 100% accurate, but much more than what we had before, with a more accurate layout, and I built a bunch of those little half-dome buildings you see all over in the movie. Also one of my friends has been working on building out the big junk pile you see right next to the Cantina, so we have that in a block-out state. Also another colleague of mine has been building the iconic Moisture vaporator, and we have that in a block-out state and littered around the level. My buddy who was working on the Gonk Droid got textures on him, and we got that dropped into the level. I started messing with the terrain also. The materials are still a WIP, but it shows some promise, also got the terrain tesselation and displacement working. It's a start, but still needs some TLC. There are lots of other props we have in a untextured state as well, a couple comm towers, some awnings, and a few other cool little things to start giving the space more life. There is MUCH more in the works currently also. We also have lofty goals of more large vehicles parked in the docking bays, so I added a third bay, hopefully we will actually be able to get to them!

Here are a bunch of images of what we have running in engine right now:

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, in addition to all the city stuff going on, I got a start texturing the interior of the docking bay, still have A LOT to do, but it is a start:

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I love this! So good!
  • Maximum-Dev
    You sir, are a legend!
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm and encouragement, and I can't take all the credit for this, it's my team also! There is a lot of stuff that my team is working on that isn't quite ready to put in just yet, but when their stuff is ready to start putting in, it's gonna be a BIG drop of stuff. I keep trying to get more of them to post here also, but they are internet shy. :smile:  I will admit, now that Battlefront 3 is out, I was kinda feeling like our project is a bit less special than it was, even though we are not making a shooter game, just a Mos Eisley showpiece. ( we were also toying with the notion of maybe turning it into a little mini 1-hour long RPG with a super short story and then just putting it up on the internet as fan fiction, as several programmers that I know have offered to help out if we ever take it that far. Our big roadblock is we currently have no one on our team who builds characters. We would need some significant character support for that and right now we just don't have it. There are some avenues we can explore if we decide to go that route but right now we are just thinking about it ) I played a bit of BF3 over the weekend and it is a VERY pretty game, but they have no Mos Eisley map ( or at least they don't yet, I'm sure they will at some point. ) and I think our little project is still different enough to distinguish itself from BF3, although I am shooting for trying to achieve the same level of visual fidelity of BF3 on PC Ultra settings. So I will ask all of you, what do you all think? Should we keep going and finish this thing, or should we throw in the towel and concede to EA for beating us to the punch? Is Star Wars a big enough temple of awesomeness for all CG artwork commercial and individual to peacefully coexist with one-another?

( I am feeling better about it this week that I was last week with all the new stuff that has come together, so my discouragement has diminished quite a bit )
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Keep going on! Don't let BF3 derail you.
    The progress is really awesome and I would really like to see the finished version of it (if it's a mini-adventure or just a walk through, doesn't matter!)
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    ^^

If anything use BF3 as a quality goal. It's a high bar to reach but you and your team is doing superb work as is so keep it up :smile: 
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here is another walkthrough video of where we are at right now. Better quality than the previous ones, and I threw in some music just to make it seem a little cooler than it actually is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k48q9raIbvo

Thanks again everyone!
  • TheKlu
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 8
    It's really amazing! :D
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I want to see moooooree! Great work man! :D
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Tonight I started working on a shader for world-space normal map tiling and some tinting, so we can get a little more out of the building materials. Some color adjustments and the rest of the material needs to be done though.

• Maximum-Dev
    LELEUXART, How you doing man? :) Glad to see you on this too.
    I'm still kind of lost in translating Lux to UE4 if you could do a fantastic lighting on this and then share your workflow that'd be great!
  • dbjunk
    Hi all,
     joining up with some super talented people on this project. Here are a few WIP shots of a mobquet speeder I'm working on. 

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone! So I have a little post-Christmas update on our Mos Eisley environment. Needless to say, but with the holidays going on, everyone working on the project has had their productivity impacted with work and holiday events, but despite this, I think we have a decent update for this month. We have built out more of the city with some new block-out meshes, including a couple of neat surprise block-out that you will see in the video and stills, I am hoping we are not biting off more than we can chew here, but we are gonna try to get all this stuff detailed and finished out. So the city is a little bigger, and we have gotten a decent start with texturing, some buildings as well as some props in the city and the docking bay. I am hoping to step it up a little here in January now that the holidays are behind us.

Anyhow, here is a new video walkthrough of our current progress. Hope you all like it. Please let us know what you think - Thanks everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pjf9184P8&feature=youtu.be

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    And here are some new still images. Thanks again!

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh BOO!!!! You Tube blocked the video because of the music. Odd considering I got the music off of another you tube video and the last one I posted was fine. Weird!!!  I'll fix it and upload another one here shortly.
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Howdy all!!!! Ok so I got another video uploaded with music.

https://vimeo.com/150213559

Enjoy!!!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Superior work...well done.
  • skyline5gtr
  • ZombieDawgs
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    You're an absolute madman.

Keep being one.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Started lighting this over the weekend. Only have the dominant, luminance-based light, some temp spotlights under the Falcon and a couple of static bounce lights. Still need to add a couple of lights around and tweak lightmass settings, then it's onto the interior and the rest of the city!

• jonnyallenlwt
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnyallenlwt polycounter lvl 8
    Unbelievable.  My favorite Polycount thread so far!!  You guys are inspiring and I can't wait to see more.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Well... crap. That's just awesome.
  • KustomZero
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    Guys thats just incredible, but i am curious. Did you build mos eisley as a modular environment or is every house seen there a unique prop? Also the damage on the walls, like on the picture. Are these decals or in the texture of the prop?

Keep up the good work and maybe find a character artist to place a storm trooper here and there ;)
  • nathdevlin
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    This is coming out great. Not much to say except keep it coming.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Looking really nice, I think you could do something with the light intensity or camera exposure and get on the verge of blowing out some of the highlights and give a more scorched high heat feel to the environment, where you almost want to squint your eyes to help block the sun. Looks sweet though!
  • Paradox113
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradox113 polycounter lvl 8
    Yo. I'm just another mild mannered artist on this project. Thought I'd share some screenshots of the soon to be added V-35 Courier speeder.

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys thats just incredible, but i am curious. Did you build mos eisley as a modular environment or is every house seen there a unique prop? Also the damage on the walls, like on the picture. Are these decals or in the texture of the prop?

Keep up the good work and maybe find a character artist to place a storm trooper here and there ;)
    Hey there, thanks for the compliments, appreciate it! To answer your questions, The City is Pseudo-modular. There are 12 different buildings I believe, and the Docking bay complex, and the city is made up of instances of those, plus a handful of small wall connector pieces. We use a lot of shader tricks and decals to make them look like there are more variety than there is. Also yea, those damage marks on the walls are done with decals.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! So it has been a couple months since our last update, but rest assured we have been continuing to work on our Star Wars Mos Eisley UE4 environment. WE have got quite a bit of new stuff in since the last update, lots of textures on props and buildings / some new props scattered throughout the city / some updates to the Cantina  & the Dowager Queen basement / and our awesome lighting artist started on a whole new lighting pass for us!

Got some new walkthrough videos for you all. The last video I did was a little long, I think it might have been tough to sit through all at once, so I broke up this update into 3 separate videos for you all to check out at your leisure!

Here is the our current progress on the Docking Bay 94 interior. LOTS of textured props now, and more textures and decal work on the walls.

https://vimeo.com/156016705

And here is an update on the Cantina & RIght Half of the city

https://vimeo.com/156016873

And here is a new Dowager Queen basement and more stuff in the Left half of the city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awy165Unul4&feature=youtu.be

So we still have a lot to do, but I think we are making good progress. I'll put up some still images here shortly as well.
    Thanks everyone, and please let us know what you all think!!!
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    And here are some still shots for you all:

Thanks again everyone!
  • thess
    Hey Everyone, 
    I am another one of the artists working on this scene. I have mostly worked on the exterior buildings and the Dowager Queen Ship and Cantina. I have started on the Jawa SandCrawler. Here is how the track housing is coming along.

Hope you like were we are heading with this!
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to post a quick small update. I put together a quick and dirty overhead map for all the artists working on this with me to help organize what areas are being worked on in what order, and thought I would throw it up here so you all can get a better picture of where we are at on this so far. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on the layout here, or just any thoughts at all, please feel free to share. We all have been staring at this thing for so long now I think we are all getting a little bit of tunnel vision on our individual tasks and having a hard time looking at it as a whole.

Thanks again for taking the time to check out our thread! We love the community here on Polycount, and your encouragement helps keep us going!!!

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there everyone! So I am back with a small update. Back at the beginning of this project, when it was just me building the Millennium Falcon, several people were curious as to how I was going to approach texturing this monster. Well About a week ago I started that daunting task. ( the thought of texturing this thing has been a tad bit scary so I have been putting it off, but figured I had put it off long enough ) For those of you who are interested, I decided to use UE4's layered material system to texture this thing, and I must say it is working out quite nicely, using a set of tileable base materials, and creating masks with Quixel to blend those base materials. It allows for a nice fidelity in the model without having that tiled texture look, yet tiled enough that you can get pretty close to it before the texel density breaks down. I am pretty happy with the results so far. I am about a quarter of the way done so far, and then at the end I am going to go through and do a micro detail pass to make some floaters and decals for things like small bolts, handles, latches, etc.

Anyhow, here is a vid and some screen shots showing my progress so far. Hope you enjoy them - Thanks!

https://vimeo.com/159035221

• Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone!!!! So it has been a while since we have done an update on our Unreal 4 Mos Eisley scene. WE have been cranking away at it and I thought it was a good time to post an update. So here are a bunch of new screen shots out of UE4 showing some good progress, and some new stuff that we haven't shown before. Hope you all enjoy them, and if you get a minute, please let us know what you think. Thanks everyone!

Our project is still WIP, but we are getting there. I would say we are about 75% - 80% done, just have a few more assets to finish, and then do a polish pass. So far I have tested running our level on a GTX760 / GTX970 / GTX980ti / and a Titan X cards, and it runs very good at 1920 x 1200 or lower on all teh 900 series cards, and pretty good on the 760. Any resolutions above 1920 x 1200 are still decent, but they do get a little choppy in a few areas. I just recently obtained access to an HTC Vive, so gonna see how well it runs in VR here soon.

I will post some new videos here either later this evening or tomorrow to show walk-through as I have also been doing a lot of sound work in the level as well that need video to show.

Thanks everyone, hope you all like the update!
  • melli06
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    You folks are on it! Some serious work is happening, great job!
  • Jay-Lew
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, as I promised, here are some videos of our current progress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9VoHe6rWcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42UgUnIyg0

https://vimeo.com/167240370

And a final short one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNoXhat-Vvk

Thanks again everyone!

• jul_lef
    Offline / Send Message
    jul_lef polycounter lvl 9
    very nice project, I would love to see a VR version with teleport as navigation.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    wow.  How have I missed this! I love projects like this.  I love when people go that extra step and take environment art to a much more completed state, much more of an experience.  Love love love this. 
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    I tried watching a couple of your videos on youtube and they were blocked by a copyright claim. but it all looks great
  • ArtbyV
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    Man, this is impressive and inspiring stuff! Glad you guys did the article on 80.LV or I would have missed it.

Couple questions on workflow. In the article it was mentioned that you just created a low poly mesh and only did a bevel on the edges for doing the normal bake. I'm currently working on a couple vehicles right now and I have the low polys created and UVs finished. I'd rather forego creating a high poly for the sake of time. It was mentioned that there was some sort of shader used to smooth out the edges to get the normal map baked and that there were tools that could easily bevel all of the edges to quickly create a high poly. Can you elaborate on that?

I currently use Maya. I was trying to take my low poly into ZBrush and just use the subdivide/smooth to add geo and round it out, but it didn't turn out right. 
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Cannot believe I missed this thread, so much greatness here. You guys took a simple lil environment way too far, and I'm so happy you did. It looks absolutely stunning! Really hope we can get some updates some time soon, your guys' progress seemed somewhat steady. :)
  • jul_lef
    Offline / Send Message
    jul_lef polycounter lvl 9
    ArtbyV said:

I currently use Maya. I was trying to take my low poly into ZBrush and just use the subdivide/smooth to add geo and round it out, but it didn't turn out right. 
    Hey ArtbyV have you tried that tool for maya ? 
    ADN Modeler Tools 0.5
    https://gumroad.com/fansub
  • rogeressig
    Loving this. I'm in my rift CV1, currently standing on top of the millennium falcon, studying all the attention to detail.
  • ArtbyV
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtbyV polycounter lvl 8
    jul_lef said:
    Hey ArtbyV have you tried that tool for maya ?
    ADN Modeler Tools 0.5 https://gumroad.com/fansub
    I haven't. I did just download Bevel Preview from Gumroad and that has been working okay. I'll give this one a shot too. Thanks for posting!
  • Gregan
    Offline / Send Message
    Gregan null
    Hi, firstable, a big THANK YOU all for the work in the name of all the fans that can now spend time in a magnificient and realistic Mos Eisley starport with a level of details and fidelity that deserves to be highly salute! I wish you'll continue to improve it so we can follow your work progress in a ( is it possible?! ) better version of this masterpiece. thanks from a fan!