Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | M4A4 | Bounty Hunter *finished*

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
K_A_S_I triangle
LAST UPDATE:

-----------------------------------------------------

I will start with a little description on the design choices and what not.

What probably won't be a suprise after checking screenshots as core for the inspiration is Boba Fett, and overall Star Wars starships aesthetics. When thinking what I could do for this contest to stand any chance I came to conclusion: as it's is sci-fi themed and most people are likely to connect it to it's technicality, etc. I expect most of the skins to be sculpted fake 3-D gunsmith finishes, which I do not make, since there are far better people around in this kind of skins (eg. Millenia), so I knew that I have to take different angle. As M4A4 is my single favourite model in game I knew I had to start with it. Star Wars being my favourite movies series I had to use some of it, and it (the M4) already seems kind of from this universe with its base shape/looks (eg. you can compare it to this: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/12/A280C_blaster_rifle.png/revision/latest?cb=20151106025618). Altough in SW they do not paint guns in any way, they do it with space fighters, speeders, and armour as in Boba's example. So I took them all combined, took some reference from other sources and started pondering (I will post up all reference collected later). At this point I knew that I was going to make the skin look like painted with the sci-fi shapes from SW reference, took amazing color scheme from Boba's armor (I think it is heavly underused for how cool it is, barely few skins I seen on workshop that use those colours) and did my best to sketch up nicest shapes possible. Meanwhile I added 2 to 2 and recalled M4 skin I made earlier (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=602293809) which I think has amazing shape in form of the skull with jaw on magazine, so I decided to use it again, as I couldn't find anything better with this much character. From this point it was all mashing it together to make sense in the sci-fi theme. I decided to pull it further into grunge finish area, as: 1. I love this kind of stuff, 2. with my skill-set I excel at this kind of finishes, 3. I love those dirt panels on X-wings, 4. I except it to be unique on the range of gunsmith sculpt skins.

Also what is worth noticing are the skins that are already in game that could be considered as sci-fi. With M4 Battlestar, Desert Strike and Asiimov it really doesn't give a lot of space in the theme, and the kind of stuff I do with Bounty Hunter is one of the last things that were not done (accepted) to M4 yet.

I will post more of WIP screens later when I get collected, I only today really started working on actuall skin, last 4 days spent on sketching to find nicest shapes for it, not a fan of randomly slapped images on the gun so I wanted everything to fit properly and make sense to play with gun natural shape nicely (as all those liveries on SW reference do).

:)

Not to mention that being a bounty hunter is badass and it fits the M4 "blaster" too.

--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

First few sketches and checks for shapes and design on a gun:

Replies

• K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Hey, dropping first WIP screen here, I will post reference base and earlier sketches when I sort it out properly. Waiting for feedback guys. :dizzy:

• Ego_Death
    Offline / Send Message
    Ego_Death vertex
    This is looking really cool. The hand painted look to it is awesome!
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Thanks Ego, good to have you onboard! :blush:

Very little update, only like 2 hours of further texture painting on the upper receiver and lower around magazine holder. I also reverted some of the scratches on the grey line-work in order to find best balance or grunge and readable. Adding it now, since I doubt I'll be able to work more today on it.

Peace. :)

• Gaunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    Really liking the distressed look to the paint, adds a lot of depth and character.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Gaunt said:
    Really liking the distressed look to the paint, adds a lot of depth and character.

Great to see you enjoying the design! Cheers, Gaunt! :blush:
  • __UNSILENT__
    not to sound like a total noob... but i am... how do you upload the pictures without taking like a gyazzo screen shot for the URL? it doesnt allow me to post any pictures without the URL, which doesnt naturally get created when i save a jpeg on my computer..

also, i love your design!
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    First thanks fot the love. :)

There is plenty of different sites offering images hosting, (you can just google it to find your favourite), I personlly use imgur.com it works well and it's popular so people aren't afraid of clicking the links. Just make sure you use the link called "direct link to image" or something like this, basically it should be ended with .jpg/.gif/etc.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Last 2 days I had very little time to work with the skin, today I had a bit more of it, so all 3 days combined might be worth updating you with the progress. :)

From the texturing I pretty much finished this stage of painting around upper receiver and body skull areas. Whole design received first facelift now with like first bunch of details here and there.

I like how it is going so far, I feel like I am on a good way to catchin the SW paint/livery spirit, hopefuly you share my feeling. :)

PS. Sorry for no-ingame view today, but I thought  this stage wil be nicer to notice from PS perspective + I put here base colours as an extra thing.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle

Just a few next steps on the grunge texture expending towards the stock a bit. Yellow stripes on the body and the letters received some texturing too.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle

Today and yesterday I painted some more texture, re-shaped upper part of skull teeth, pondered on some details and started shaping ris rail covers, so far came up with this, and I think I am liking the shape, could end up different, but next I will work on stock likely.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Pushed this skin hard today, ris rail cover is painted properly, added this emblem/signature of a bounty hunter in the form of a skull on the stock, thinking what I am going to do about those shadows/stripes on the stock. Not sure if I will be able to make more today so posting this. :)

• Centauri
    Offline / Send Message
    Centauri vertex
    Woah, looks really awesome!
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Centauri said:
    Woah, looks really awesome!
    Thanks, man! A lot of work still to do, but think we are on the right track! ;)
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Today was another day of massive time spent on this skin so quite a few important updates: 1. I "fixed" the holes/shadows on the stock and I think now they look good and the paint feels planted on it. 2. Re-shaped yet again jaw on magazine and painted grunge texture on whole magazine including design on the rear of it. 3. Painted texture here and there over different areas of the gun.

This screenshot is taken with alpha channel set to full black, I am going for sure for custom alpha and I think I am going to set lowest float on minimal wear to make it all work towards the distorted texture I paint. Top RIS will for 99% remain stock.

• Ego_Death
    Offline / Send Message
    Ego_Death vertex
    You're really doing a fantastic job with this one man.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Ego_Death said:
    You're really doing a fantastic job with this one man.
    Thanks man, today will, hopefully, be more of this fantasitc job. :)
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle

After Gaunt's and SLIMEface's feedback I decided to give another try for re-shaping the eye, to give it more character and make it more aggrsive perhaps. Those are just sketches on the base of current one so it should (just should) look okay in-game ont he model.

Wondering in which direction I should go, any ideas? :)
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Many steps forward + something extra. :)

• EmkaStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    Good stuff i would refine the front stock only
  • Emkay
    Offline / Send Message
    Emkay polycounter lvl 5
    I'm really digging the more realistic looking artstyle you used! The only problem I could see that the colors are not as "attention grabbing" as valve might want them to be to get into the classified category. I can be wrong tho >.<
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Good stuff i would refine the front stock only
    Thanks, what do you mean by that? What's wrong with it?

Emkay said:
    I'm really digging the more realistic looking artstyle you used! The only problem I could see that the colors are not as "attention grabbing" as valve might want them to be to get into the classified category. I can be wrong tho >.<
    Naaah, I'm pretty sure the colours are okay, it is quite colourfull overall, the colours are rather bright and the contrast is high, some Coverts aren't as colourfull. :D

And thank you, glad you like the style I decided to paint. :)
  • EmkaStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    Front grip black line too thick for me in comparison to the rest ..i think the body black lines should match thikness
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Front grip black line too thick for me in comparison to the rest ..i think the body black lines should match thikness
    I fixed it. :)

Many, many hours spent today on it, mostly inside the psd to regain control over all the layers I made when painting, this is in-game test for checking how those phong settings with this skin look under lighting, and I like the results. I am close to the end, areas on screenshots covered with base coat (it's not a real base coat, since no alpha made yet) will remain base coat to keep balance and not go too much with details into covert area, it is already colourful and bright enough I belive.

What's left are details, and off angles that were not covered properly when I was merging the texture onto the model. Later, when I'm done with finishing I will make alternate colour versions for those who either do not like this colour combination, or think it's too close of a Boba Fett's thing.
  • EmkaStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    Super solid looking good =D
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Super solid looking good =D
    Thanks both for pointing the issue and now for compliments. :D
  • kingfisher_ws
    This is just super solid, fantastic job mate !
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    This is just super solid, fantastic job mate !
    Thanks man, glad you like it!
  • AKTrashheap
    Another bounty hunter lover!  :0

I think the overall design is great and the way you created the skull on the receiver and clip is cool.  My only real feedback is that the clip area with the text doesn't make much sense for the overall design.   I guess when i think of how the person who would have designed that cool custom work, would most likely not artistically incorporate a stencil of information regarding the bullet count/bullet size.   I dunno, that is just my thoughts.

keep up the great work, duder.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Another bounty hunter lover!  :0

I think the overall design is great and the way you created the skull on the receiver and clip is cool.  My only real feedback is that the clip area with the text doesn't make much sense for the overall design.   I guess when i think of how the person who would have designed that cool custom work, would most likely not artistically incorporate a stencil of information regarding the bullet count/bullet size.   I dunno, that is just my thoughts.

keep up the great work, duder.
    Hey, let's make sure Boba has all the best equipment for each gun, right? :)

Thanks for compliments, I'll explain why I wanted to do the text. I knew that it isn't exacly what star wars do (altough on starfighters there are little notes like WARNING! and so on), but I looked at the bounty hunter in this case a bit disconnected from just what SW say. I looked at him like at professional guy who earns cash for living by dealing with military stuff, soldiers often mark caps with different info (maybe not exactly what kind of bullet is inside, becouse they know it by the shape of the cap), but I could imagine that such bounty hunter has plenty of different kind of ammunition and that as a rough real guy he is not afraid of dirt and scrapes, and stenciling his magazines isn't an issue for him, but usefull practical thing to do. I belive it isn't supposed take 1:1 everything from the source but we are expected to kind of play with inspirations and their use. :D 

Also what is something from other area, not just pure meaning, I thought that it wasn't the most healthy way for the design to have the HNT-R text solo on a whole skin, it looked lonely so I wanted something that won't damage the core of clear swooping lines (that's why it's ouside of the core design), but will be cheezy and nice to look at.
  • AKTrashheap
    I can see what you are saying.  might be cooler to see it in some made up language :0

The HNT-R was a solid idea.  look forward to seeing the final!
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    I can see what you are saying.  might be cooler to see it in some made up language :0

The HNT-R was a solid idea.  look forward to seeing the final!
    I am not sold on made up language, as I want it to be fairly understandable, but I will try to make something else or change the font, etc., to upgrade the design (as long as it is possible :P).

Cheers, I am looking forward to the final too, I spent quite a lot of hours already and I am not as close as I thought I am to ending it. :)
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    @AKTrashheap following your feedback I decided to take best of both worlds: made up font with somewhere english look to it. So I painted those letters/signs from the scrap myself in the place of the font in the past, inspiration was obviously SW fonts, etc., and I think it is quite a big upgrade to the design so thank you for pointing it out!!! :dizzy:

The skins is pretty much ready, I fixed all merging errors, It's all ready, I just need to fine tune the colours (eg. red I think will end-up being less pinky, more browny, and the grey outlines will be brighter) and make alpha channel properly, but other then that is good to go. :D Finally after all those hours its nice to see it in this shape. :dizzy: 

PS. Yeah, I won't keep "DONE" on the other side of the gun... :)
    PS2. Yeah I forgot to apply the AO stock-fix, sorry for that!
  • kingfisher_ws
    I for one wouldn't make the red less pinky, I think it's good if it pops out more because it will be classified after all.
  • AKTrashheap
    I like what you did to the mag.  Can you show a screenshot with an upclose of your texture work? those images don't seem to zoom in.
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    I like what you did to the mag.  Can you show a screenshot with an upclose of your texture work? those images don't seem to zoom in.
    The HNT-R line got new letters too.

As requested:

• AKTrashheap
    is your main monitor 24inch?  That screen is still tiny for me :0

From what i see, i think you should work more variances into the paint effect and to build more contrast near the edges of the grey and green.  also, a super minor note....that "T" is bugging me how it bends to the left.  Sorry, i do a lot of food photography and my eye is trained for stupid little shit :D
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    is your main monitor 24inch?  That screen is still tiny for me :0

From what i see, i think you should work more variances into the paint effect and to build more contrast near the edges of the grey and green.  also, a super minor note....that "T" is bugging me how it bends to the left.  Sorry, i do a lot of food photography and my eye is trained for stupid little shit :D
    Well my main and only monitor is 24 inches, sorry. :(

The thing is that I am going for an effect of the design being stenciled level-by-level onto the gun. I want the lines to be a "bit" flater as they are not striaght painted, time and dirt made them textured if anything. I had higher contrast on it earlier (pretty much on everything if you check first screens), but I tuned it down with time, it feels to me more accurate.

T isn't really bent, it's being irregulary scraped/distorted, that's the result. :P

Yeah, my girlfriend is doing food photo too so I personally feel the pain everyday. :)
  • AKTrashheap
    they say its not the size that counts, it is how well you use it.   It seems to me you are using it just fine!

ya, i am sure you have worked this thing to death and kinda know the sweet spot when it comes to the colors and contrast.  I now spend about 3-4 days on just trying to get the textures right.  everytime i learn something new, my process gets longer not shorter :0

• K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    they say its not the size that counts, it is how well you use it.   It seems to me you are using it just fine!

ya, i am sure you have worked this thing to death and kinda know the sweet spot when it comes to the colors and contrast.  I now spend about 3-4 days on just trying to get the textures right.  everytime i learn something new, my process gets longer not shorter :0

Alright, let's just say that I use it properly. :D

To death and further, I have crossed every border together with this skin...

"everytime i learn something new, my process gets longer not shorter :0" - it was the name of my last 2 weeks :D
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    model

This is pretty much the very final version. I applied last changes, thanks to Ego Deaths feedback, those were: painting the area under rear sights, adding yellow peephole and removing the paint from the ring between body and stock "pipe".

I have alpha and other CWs set up, so I'll be dropping it onto workshop as soon as I get all the screenshots ready, so if you think anything should be still changed for perfection: speak now or forever remain silent. :D
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    I just finished uploading all three colour variations to the workshop, you can see them here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689047054

And the pictures:

Thank you all who shared feedback, helped me on improving the design, who commented nicely and to everyone who just came back and gave it a look. :D

This is probably like last "WIP" post as I ended the skin, the workbench only screens and UV I will add to the final submission thread, since that's what the rules say. :)
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Actually as there won't be the final submission thread I decided to come here to add workbench screens and UVs just in case. :D

Alright so first main scheme, work name Bounty HNT-

Navy version:

And last "haze" scheme:

All versions have same wear model/alpha channel:

Link to the collection on workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=689047054

• ifrostbite7
    Offline / Send Message
    ifrostbite7 triangle
    I love the hand painted style of this!
  • K_A_S_I
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    I love the hand painted style of this!
    Glad you like it, thanks man! :)