Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | Ectorcist + Ectocoil Bizon + Equalizer by Kitch.sb

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
sboxle polycounter lvl 4
Hi all! 

I'm Kitch.sb on Steam Workshop, and am excited to be working on this theme! Thanks to Valve and Polycount for the opportunity!

First submission final:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689161784

ECTOcoil railgun variant:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689819094

WIPs below: 

I'm just going to track all my submissions in this thread, starting with the Bizon. The thing I like about the Bizon is the capsule clip, and I'm really keen to play this up. Got a few directions in mind to explore.

Style-wise I'm going for a hammy, pop sci-fi weapon inspired by over-complicated audio and computer hardware of decades passed. I want this Bizon to be the kind of thing that comes with a 200 page operation manual. Wielding an abstract interface you're afraid to touch because it works "just how you like it" now and you don't want to lose your eyebrows again.

On top of the base styling I'm hoping to make a few functional variants to depict it as a lazer/electrical weapon or similar. This is where the capsule will shine!

Anyway, here's where I'm at:

Replies

• sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Continuing to refine this, thought I'd add a note on process. 

I've tried a few different approaches to Workshop, but my tried and true is still going between Blender and Photoshop.

This allows me to draw out my design on the model in the texture paint mode, save the drawn on UV's as a jpeg, take that into Photoshop and paint it properly. Just an easy, quick way to plan it out and refine when working on a design with lots of little parts as opposed to a big gun-spanning illustration.

Painting directly on the UV's in Photoshop (rather than projecting images onto the object in Photoshop) also means I'm painting all the bleed around edges as I go, and don't need to clean that up later. 

Just been working out little details today, to be continued!
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    At different points in the process I go into the CS workbench to check it out. I'm working with the gunsmith style and plan to blend the texture with the raw metallic parts on the stock and the clip, just using the custom paint part of the Gunsmith style for the clip tube.

I think it's looking decent in workshop, the jpeg compression gives it some discolouration and the appearance of wear which I think is fine (even complementary!) to this weapon, especially since it's a blue tier. It helps the textured parts blend in with the raw gun metal.

My biggest concern was the texture detail since all the dials and text are so small, but it's not an issue for me. It doesn't need to be legible in-game, just to give the impression it's complicated device!

I've scrawled over a screenshot from workshop with some iterations I want to make to existing details. To be continued!
  • flisky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking really cool :)
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks, Flisky :) Cheers for stopping by!

Coming along! Back half of the body almost complete (on this side).

• dcneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcneil polygon
    Really like this, keep it up!
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I feel like this would be a good weapon used by like Boba Fett. I like it
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks, DCNeil and 9thKnight! That's an interesting observation, I could probably work a version to be Star Wars-y. Maybe as a junkyard kinda weapon, something partly scrapped by Jawas. HMMmmm! 

When I've got all the body texture done I'll get onto and reveal the main sell for this weapon. Don't want to give it away too early! All the body detail is definitely the big grind for this, trying to make it cohesive and interesting, for a blue at least... haha, almost there! 

• enzYm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice gun - great idea and use of this raw technical stuff. The gun feels like a home-made railgun I could absolutely imagine beeing used by a crazy scientist like in "Back to the Future".
    Keep it up and best of luck =)
  • DarkChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkChaos null
    sboxle said:
    Thanks, DCNeil and 9thKnight! That's an interesting observation, I could probably work a version to be Star Wars-y. Maybe as a junkyard kinda weapon, something partly scrapped by Jawas. HMMmmm! 

When I've got all the body texture done I'll get onto and reveal the main sell for this weapon. Don't want to give it away too early! All the body detail is definitely the big grind for this, trying to make it cohesive and interesting, for a blue at least... haha, almost there! 

I would like to add in my own (unprofessional) opinion, I think where the coils are near the back the metal connections look quite flimsy, maybe make them look slightly stronger or add a glass(-esque) panel to the side there, 
    Good Luck,
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    @Enzym - Thanks mate! I hope I have time to do a version that's railgun-y. So many ideas I want to execute! haha

@DarkChaos - Good points, I'll give it a go!

Working away at this... The first avenue I'm exploring is a sort of Ghostbusters inspired spirit-trapper type gun. I think I need to refine the proportions still - the ghost is probably a bit big at present, but I'm trying to render it squishing itself against the inner tube, like it's really crammed in there.

I don't know how I feel about this... I think I've been looking at it too long. hah

• sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Trying the ghost out in a little window instead, I think it's better. Also going to do a version without the ghost, as more of a pure electromagnetic weapon. Still need to detail the handle and tube more.
  • EmkaStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    Ahahahahah so good :D
  • EmkaStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    2nd version wayy better
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    @EmkaStudios Thanks so much! Great to hear that feedback, I wasn't very pleased with the first one but I think it's working ok in the window.

Just tested out another, chubbier ghost face. Not really working for me though.

I think the more ape-ish skull ghost is better and looks like it could fit into the Ghostbusters world. Here are some more refs I've been working with while trying to capture the 80's spirit for the gun.

I was trying to make the ghost in my gun sort of look like it could be a plasticine model.
    Here's how it looks on the texture sheet (without metal detail):

Also working on a coiled tube version that hints at electromagnetism, and applies the cabling features onto the magazine tube.
    I'll be preparing a submission for each direction. 
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Also made a process gif using some of the 30ish .vtf's... A lot of thought went into all the little bits! Unfortunately they won't be visible in-game but might as well make them all fit the narrative! Got stream control buttons and knobs, magazine safety latch, various dials and panels for different readings and ofcourse the faked internal wiring and cables.
  • dcneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcneil polygon
    voted hard for this one, love the ghost in there haha! Very original
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks @dcneil ! Appreciate it! haha, nice to know you've enjoyed it.

Working on a railgun/coil sorta version.

Also trying a colour scehem with some blue in it... But not sure which I prefer.

Thoughts anyone?
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Expanding my research to add more cabling reference.

Next weapon I'm working on is a railgun style AWP. In the same sorta flavour as the Bizon but not ghostly, just pure power, charged shots.

• sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Because the UV area's so small for the side of the AWP I'm trying to check regularly in workbench to see how details are reading.
    Slowly but steadily refining pieces and building on the style.

Also referencing a few bits from Back to the Future for this one:

• sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Back to the drawing board a bit on this one. Wasn't liking the direction so back to blocking some shapes...

• ifrostbite7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ifrostbite7 triangle
    The spring is really cool! Are you planning to have this like an open weapon or like the x-ray where the insides are painted on the outside?
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks man! I'm trying to make it look like a sort of metal chassis around cutout sections showing internal wiring, coils etc. All guts to give it that homebrew sci-fi look like the props in Back to the Future, Ghostbusters and 80's hardware. 
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Making slow but steady progress.

Sketches below were for the back section of the AWP, since it's the most visible bit I wanted to do something special with it. 
    This is the power supply for the weapon, which also makes practical sense as you don't want the heaviest part of the gun far from the body.
    The back end acts as a detachable batter clip - in the Gunsmith style this is a Custom Paint area so I wanted to make it more of a hard plastic casing, where the body of the gun has a lot of metal strut-like features.

The drawings helped me envision the sort of cutaway clutter I wanted, then with a lot of trial and error I've been trying to get this effect reading in workbench, prioritising the in-game angles since that's when players really wanna show off their sweet weaponry. 

Still so much to do...!
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Hoping to get the texture finished today but that seems unlikely!
    Gave the middle section a major overhall, made the electricity look cooler, also reworked the screw clips along the side of the gun as I wasn't really happy with the previous ones - they looked a bit too uniform. I feel these look more natural (flat colour areas atm, texture still needs a bit of polish).

Made good progress though, spent a lot of time trying to get the top of the gun to look like an embedded coil system but think that looks pretty decent now!

Also changed the barrel end of the side to a sort of injector system which I'll refine and blocked in a metal casing for the grip tube. Taking inspiration from the Delorean with the latest additions. Onwards!

• sboxle
  • sboxle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Also, UV's for my entries (2x Bizons and the AWP)

• xung.lee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xung.lee null
  • SjiZzZLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjiZzZLe polycounter lvl 2
    I like the awp man, nice 3d effect.