Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag 2 | Feedback & Suggestions

Replies

• vertex_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertex_ polycounter lvl 7
    Not a big deal, but if SHIFT + L is used while renaming a scene entity ("Light01"), the entity becomes locked.

Would love to have a more organized material viewer. I believe someone mentioned the short material captions, it makes it difficult to quickly find materials.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malcolm: We're still planing on adding refraction at some point, but we don't have an ETA.

Vertex: Amusingly, I just noticed that bug yesterday and logged it, thanks though!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, any chance we will have self shadow normal maps one of these days?
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Two annoying things:

Importing camera from a 3D application (Max or Maya), same position, same résolution, same focal length but not the same FOV, my frame isn't the same.

Importing texture in EXR, in the option panel, the sRGB Color Space flag isn't saved.

Thanks.
  • Eric Williams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    Marmoset Viewer request

Multiple cameras maybe tied to keys 1-4.  This would allow for a few nicely lit views and also get the camera into spots to see specific parts of the model that would otherwise take a little time to orient properly.  For instance a car.  Camera one would show the whole thing, cam two would show wheel and brakes, cam three maybe interior dashboard etc.  The person could just switch views by hitting 1 - 4 or however many you have setup.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Node based shaders please, with options for things like detail tillable textures.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    True VR Support would be great.

- True VR Support (Like UE4). So you can directly control the Rift/Vive without Changing your monitors..
    - Controls for looking around the object in VR (and maybe walking around it)
    - Resolution Downscaling (Rendering on a Higher resolution)
     https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43062

Especially the Resolution downscaling is important too, as it gets rid of a lot of aliasing due to the current low screen resolution on VR devices. And since marmoset is mostly used to displays only game assets there should be little problems with the frame rate.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    here are a couple feature requests that came up in the last few weeks:

- global toggle for mip map and filtering switches that affect all textures in the scene. for getting crisper renders when zoomed out
    - display mesh data (triangle count, etc) for multiple selected meshes, same for selected folders or groups too (summed up, obviously)
    - multi layered material (for car paint, etc) instead of having to fake with separate meshes. bonus points for being able to define number of layers
    - composite material that takes vertex color and bitmap as mask input. bonus points for being able to define number of blended sub-materials
    - multiply/subtract blend modes as transparency option (was already in toolbag 1 if memory serves)

thanks!
  • ThomasBrissot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using Marmoset as a concept art tool, to make quick images and/or matte paintings.  It be would be super cool to be able to make render depth and ID passes.  I often have to stick with Keyshot only for that reason...
  • rodgon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon polycounter
    Hi! :)
    I don't know if it was already requested, but here it is a feature suggestion that might help save some time. Hope that helps.

* Would be awesome if the Marmoset has a kind of "export/importer marmoset material" plugin/script to load the Marmoset's material setups into the Unity3D and Unreal4 scene, that creates/setup a material along with imported textures in the game engine's project.

I understand that is not a easier/simple request.
    Maybe if the Marmoset have ability to export a XML file that has the Marmoset's material setup information that is relevant to each material's game engine, like diffuse/albedo, gloss/roughness, spec/metalness, maybe additional material's parameters/sliders, and then, the plugin/script for the game engine would load/read that XML file and setup a material along with loaded textures in the project. It's similar concept of what Modo's importer plugin/script for Unreal4 and Unity3D already does (links below).

* Some key benefits that I can imagine:
    1- Marmoset can be much easier/faster to setup a material and see the maps working.
    2- Especially if you use Marmoset to check maps and setup material before go into a game engine, It would save a time if needed setup a new materials in another game engine.
    3- Automate boring and repetitive tasks, like: setup a new material in the game engine.
    4- It would be possible to share the XML files that has material's setup along with the team members, making the work easier, or at least have a good start base material to work with in the game engine. (assuming that would have a plugin/script in the game engine to load that Marmoset's XML file).
    5- More time to do art! :)

Please, check the "Modo-material-importer" plugin for Unreal and script for Unity as reference to have more info.

- Modo Unreal Material Importer
    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/modo-material-importer

- Modo 10's Unity editor plugin/script (for loading of PBR materials / textures)
    https://github.com/TheFoundry-Modo/UnityPlugin

Video of the "Modo material importer" in action in both engines.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YXH0SrMW8Y

Thanks! and keep up the awesome work! :)

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rodgon said:
    Hi! :)
    I don't know if it was already requested, but here it is a feature suggestion that might help save some time. Hope that helps.

* Would be awesome if the Marmoset has a kind of "export/importer marmoset material" plugin/script to load the Marmoset's material setups into the Unity3D and Unreal4 scene, that creates/setup a material along with imported textures in the game engine's project.

*snip*

This is something we're working on, and even have some prototypes for, so it should be safe for me to say that we'll include it in a future update.
  • ThomasBrissot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be great to have displacement  working on Mac Os' version of Marmoset, not just Windows...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be great to have displacement  working on Mac Os' version of Marmoset, not just Windows...
    Unfortunately this is not something we have control over.  From what I understand, the OpenGL drivers on OS X do not support real-time tesselation, so we can't add it to Toolbag. If at some point the drivers are more mature on Mac, we'll likely add support for it.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Hey, @EarthQuake. I'm currently planning on creating a fire source and some smoke in my scene and i wondered... What if Marmoset had some kind of material that always face the camera, like a billboard? I know unity has this for some of it particle effects. Just a thought, i don't know if that is the way to go for these kinds of effects. :)
  • sergiomengual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sergiomengual polycounter lvl 5
    Hi:
    I have seen you are working in a new feature implementing the use of curves for control the image output of the camera. I was thinking on that, and I tough that could be really great and usefull if you implement a similar control based in curves for the maps in the materials. That could work similar at the map output curves in the materials Editor in 3DS MAX. 
    This would be very usefull specially for fine tune the normal maps. I have noticed much times that the normals in marmoset, not look or not have the same strenght than in application where we made the normal map extraction. For this reason the use of curves would be very usefull to avoid jump from one app to other to retouch the normals/sculpt detail, and back to see the result in marmoset. For the AO and Cavity maps would be great to. With the use of curves, you can adjust no only the power of the texture, you could modify on the fly the contrast of the map, amplify it, etc. Take in account that. ;-) 
  • JackPerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackPerry polycounter lvl 2
    Hi,

I haven't really had time to read this whole thread, so please forgive me if this had already been mentioned.

My main interest in using MT3 is the new baker, and for the most part it is excellent.
    I really love the ability to split objects into separate bake groups to avoid cage overlaps or the need to explode your mesh.
    However It would be even better if within a bake group you not only had "high" and "low" but also "AO only" sub groups to give you greater control over
    which parts of your mesh cast or receive AO.
    This is especially important when dealing with characters, where skinned deformations would cause certain AO interactions to become problematic. 

On a second point, it would be great if when a mesh is reloaded that the baker could somehow retain its custom painted cage.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JackPerry: I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "AO only", could you give a practical example?

Bake settings on reload is something we're actively working to improve.
  • JackPerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake: Sorry for my lack of clarity.

What I mean is a sub_group within the bake groups of each baker, which objects can be added to that will only influence the AO bake, being ignored for all other bakes and not influence the cage in any way.
    For example, I have a "head" mesh and a "hat" mesh. I want both objects to bake in independent groups to avoid any cage overlaps with normal, AO and curvature etc.
    With this setup however, I will not get any AO information between the Head and Hat meshes, which I actually want for my final composite bake.
    Currently the only way to achieve this is by checking the "ignore groups" for AO button. However, this effects all groups within the baker and there are parts of my character that I wish to still adhere to the groups for AO, because during skinned deformations the AO bake would not work well. ie, a skinned strand of hair in front of the face that will get pushed to the side during animation.
    So with the addition of the "AO only" sub group, I would set up groups as normal, but then also duplicate the Hat mesh and add it to the Head's AO only sub group and duplicate the Head mesh into the Hat's AO only sub group.
    Using this setup for my whole character, I have complete control over the objects both casting and receiving AO.  

The baker for Topogun already offers a function like this as a reference point.

I hope I have explained this well enough, but if you need any further clarification please let me know.

Cheers. :)

• JackPerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To further add to my point. I often have models/characters which are split across several UV layouts for texture resolution purposes. ie one layout for character body, and one layout for character props.
    In this instance each texture layout would be designated its own baker.
    Currently there is no way of receiving AO from objects not part of the active baker.
    With the addition of the "AO only" sub group, you could add all relevant AO influence objects that sit outside of the active bakers texture layout, as well as have total control of AO influence objects within.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JackPerry

Thanks for the explanation, we'll look into what we can do to make this easier.
  • Nivellen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nivellen polycounter lvl 2
    hello everyone, I'm new here and I hope to stay longer. First thing, many thanks for such a wonderful program that is Toolbag. But to make it even better, you have to improve it :) And here my question / request:
    - Is it possible to sort the objects in the scene menu? I mean such a menu, a kind of layer in 3ds max, where you can sort it according to different criteria. At the moment, you can group objects to the folder, but it is not enough.
    Regards