Home General Discussion

poliigon pbr texture/material site.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
pestibug polycounter lvl 18
Hi all, I just ran into this site, thought it might be interesting to share.

http://poliigon.com/

pbr textures /tiling materials (diffuse+normal+ etc etc), 30 day free trial.

example from their site:

Anyway, hope its usefull to some of you guys!

Replies

• Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    very useful, thanks for sharing!
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    absolutely amazing stuff. I'm going to be using this from now on I think!
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    site doesn't even load for me
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Honestly it looks like they just ran their photos through Bitmap2Material and didn't even put much effort into getting the best result.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Honestly it looks like they just ran their photos through Bitmap2Material and didn't even put much effort into getting the best result.
    Have to agree even though I don't want to be a cynical whiner, I just think anyone would be better off getting a decent DSLR camera and B2M.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth

They say nearly as much in the promotional video (except the "not putting in much effort" part, of course). The value proposition is in time saved, not in better results than you could get on your own.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov said:

They say nearly as much in the promotional video (except the "not putting in much effort" part, of course). The value proposition is in time saved, not in really amazing textures.
    I'm a bit confused.... What other site do you know of the offers extremely high resolution textures (some that already tile) with the proper diffuse weight already tuned in. Did you expect them to texture your asset for you too? lol :tongue:
     These aren't mean to be final textures, just a really great starting point. :smile:  the best stuff on that site though is for sure the overlay maps (listed under the surface overlay tag).  Those kind of maps are difficult to make yourself and hard to find online.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah these looks kind of meh honestly. Probably good for base materials, or for blending in as texture layers in dDo and the like, though. Looking at the content it looks like the abledo is just a straight photosource with highpass and increased saturation.

Unfortunately there aren't many better alternatives out there. The Quixel Megascans content is a lot better but not publicly available yet.

The overlays do look nice though.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest said:
    Meloncov said:

They say nearly as much in the promotional video (except the "not putting in much effort" part, of course). The value proposition is in time saved, not in really amazing textures.
    I'm a bit confused.... What other site do you know of the offers extremely high resolution textures (some that already tile) with the proper diffuse weight already tuned in. Did you expect them to texture your asset for you too? lol :tongue:
     These aren't mean to be final textures, just a really great starting point. :smile:  the best stuff on that site though is for sure the overlay maps (listed under the surface overlay tag).  Those kind of maps are difficult to make yourself and hard to find online.
    My point is you can get better results out of b2m then what is provided on this website, so for an artist that would be the better route imo. Sure you save a couple bucks and a few hours of work but personaly i would always go for quality with my library.

Not sure why you think it's difficult to make some black and white masks btw. It's literally just some desaturated and level adjusted grunge photos or some random PS grunge brushes on a black canvas.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    these scratches alphas look amazing, probably getting those
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    mmm

yes, I'm still a bit skeptical too, but in the same time I hope they can improve and provide better quality resource in the future.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest said:
    Meloncov said:

My point is you can get better results out of b2m then what is provided on this website, so for an artist that would be the better route imo. Sure you save a couple bucks and a few hours of work but personaly i would always go for quality with my library.

Not sure why you think it's difficult to make some black and white masks btw. It's literally just some desaturated and level adjusted grunge photos or some random PS grunge brushes on a black canvas.
    But where are you going to get your B2M input photos from? Are you taking 16K photos yourself? If so then yes, you're probably going to get better results. Sure I've seen better scanned materials before but just judging based on what's out right now... This site is probably your best bet. I'll admit though, it doesn't look very well suited to game development. Seems to be more geared towards vfx and arch rendering.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use textures.com mostly if i need a texture input for something. I don't use that high resolutions tho, albeit they have some 16k and up textures aswell. In that case you're right, poliigon.com is considerably more affordable. Guess i had other uses in mind that don't require such resolutions.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    from what I see from the website. the best textures are the overlays with the scruff marks, grime. other than that pretty much your standard metal/rust/concrete.