Home General Discussion

Software Investment?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
Hi all, I haven't been on polycount forums for a long time. I recently graduated from school back in December. I'm going to be attending the graduation ceremony next week and get my diploma. My major is in 3D Digital Design for games. I'm a environment artist / texture artist with strong interest in game design as well. I need to work on my portfolio and start a new project to showcase my skills before applying for jobs. I haven't had any chance to apply for jobs or work on my portfolio in the past 5 months. I plan on working on my portfolio this summer. I realize that my student license of Maya 2016 and 3ds Max 2016/2017 may end. I know they cost $1k per year which is too much for me and my parents can't afford that for me. What should I do about this? I don't have any adobe software either. I used them at school computers to use photoshop. I hate using blender and gimp. It cost $600 for adobe cc and it's kind of tough getting that kind of money for investment. Should I figure out a way to get Adobe CC and maybe Maya LT on steam? What is your opinion on maya LT? Is it any good? I keep getting mixed reviews on it.

It's kind of stupid how I lose access to these essential software after graduating and then I can't work on portfolio on my free time unless I throw like $3K for software I need (Maya, ZBrush, Adobe CC). I understand it's a investment. What should I do?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Why do you need Adobe CC? Just get Photoshop CC in the digital photography package for $10/month.

No opinion on Maya LT, Modo Indie and Blender are both reasonable alternatives though.

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Honestly this is the best time ever to own stuff legit as far as pricing goes. As mentioned above, you can get Photoshop CC for $10/month in the Photo package, and Maya LT is only $30 a month. I have absolutely no issues using either. The only thing to be aware of with LT is to understand the limitations, the biggest thing is that there's no Python scripting support and you cannot export meshes that are over 100,000 triangles. If neither of those are a problem for you then you'll be fine. So for $40 a month you have all the professional software you'd need to model and texture stuff.

Also mentioned above, Modo indie and blender are fine alternatives too, it's mostly down to preference.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes I use Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro to make demo reels or trailers for my projects. I also sometimes use Illustrator but not often.

Not being able to export 100,000 triangles models might not be a big deal but can be once in awhile when it comes to baking and stuff like that. I use Substance Designer/xNormal/ZBrush for baking anyway. Although if I do hard surface modeling high poly for baking in Maya, that where the issue can occur. Also since it has no Python support, does it mean I can't use python scripts plugins I download or created on Maya 2016 on Maya LT?

I also need to buy ZBrush which is a one time purchase at $800 (good thing it's not a subscription and you get all future version free).
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Adobe CC is not at all worth it, especially if you're just going to make demo reels and trailers... If you care that much then just buy one month of Adobe CC when you're ready to make your trailer/reel.

From what I understand a lot of people get around export limits in Modo Indie and Maya LT by exporting their mesh in pieces and combining them in Blender. It's inconvenient but it works and is cheap.

• Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, good idea. I will just get Adobe Photography subscription or whatever the photoshop one is called for $240 a year. 

Would it be possible to open Maya 2016 files in Maya LT and vise versa? If I wanted to export a mesh that is more than 100K as a .fbx, could I send the file to a friend online who has Maya 2016 and just have him/her export it for me then send the file back to me? I could also do the pieces as well in Blender. I primarily use .fbx most of the time. I find the 100K export limit stupid, aren't 3d models getting more intensive in games? Look at Uncharted 4, I bet the characters are easily 100K with amazing substance textures.

I found out that I may be able to keep my 3ds Max 2016/2017 & Maya 2016 student license for 2-3 more years after graduating. Hopefully that's true, if not, I will think of getting Maya LT for a year. I will probably buy ZBrush since it's amazing and essential to me. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Would it be possible to open Maya 2016 files in Maya LT and vise versa?
    No.

I personally don't believe in the whole subscription thing at all, especially for programs that are gimped with arbitrary limitations like the polygon limit that you mention. My advice would be for you to get one-time licenses for programs that are not crazy expensive, and to also seriously consider open-source alternatives when relevant.

To give you an idea: I bought Photoshop CS5 about 6 years ago, a one-time purchase. I have no need for ANY of the features that have been added to the program ever since, and so far none of the more recent versions I tried were as fast as CS5. The $10 monthly subscription might seem cheap, but it does pile up.  Same for Mudbox, I am still using 2012 since it does all I need from it. And Zbrush has free upgrades.

As for regular 3d, Blender is free, opensource, and is very, very powerful once tweaked according to ones needs. I am more than happy to not have to use Max or Maya anymore - and that's after using them for about 10 years at various studio jobs.

So to sum it up: 

- For Photoshop you could try to see if you can find a used license (I hear that in Europe it is possible), or, go for the relatively cheap monthly subscription. 
    - For 3d, Blender is free
    - For texturing and presentation, you'll need Substance Painter and Toolbag2, that's $149 + $149
    - Zbrush for sculpting - $795
    - For video editing, Sony Movie Studio is a $49 one-time purchase.

And ... that's about it really ! $1042 total + $10 monthly for PS. Good luck !
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i think student versions cost nothing from autodesk... they are free...
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I write off all of my software purchases through taxes. 
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    Would it be possible to open Maya 2016 files in Maya LT and vise versa?
    No.

I personally don't believe in the whole subscription thing at all, especially for programs that are gimped with arbitrary limitations like the polygon limit that you mention. My advice would be for you to get one-time licenses for programs that are not crazy expensive, and to also seriously consider open-source alternatives when relevant.

To give you an idea: I bought Photoshop CS5 about 6 years ago, a one-time purchase. I have no need for ANY of the features that have been added to the program ever since, and so far none of the more recent versions I tried were as fast as CS5. The $10 monthly subscription might seem cheap, but it does pile up.  Same for Mudbox, I am still using 2012 since it does all I need from it. And Zbrush has free upgrades.

As for regular 3d, Blender is free, opensource, and is very, very powerful once tweaked according to ones needs. I am more than happy to not have to use Max or Maya anymore - and that's after using them for about 10 years at various studio jobs.

So to sum it up: 

- For Photoshop you could try to see if you can find a used license (I hear that in Europe it is possible), or, go for the relatively cheap monthly subscription. 
    - For 3d, Blender is free
    - For texturing and presentation, you'll need Substance Painter and Toolbag2, that's $149 + $149
    - Zbrush for sculpting - $795
    - For video editing, Sony Movie Studio is a $49 one-time purchase.

And ... that's about it really ! $1042 total + $10 monthly for PS. Good luck !
    $1000 is not terrible for long-term investment especially if I plan on finding a job in 6 months to a year and start making money then. I will probably use my student version of 3ds max & maya as long as I can unless I am going to sell something on the Unity/UE4 marketplace for quick money, I will get Maya LT and Blender. I can't live without out 3ds Max or Maya, I love them. I already have Substance Designer 5 / B2M 3/ Painter 2. Also got Toolbag 2. I just need to get ZBrush and a video editing software like Adobe or one month of Adobe CC for AE and Premiere. 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Oblivion2500 said:
    I can't live without out 3ds Max or Maya, I love them. 
    Eh... I think you'd be surprised if you actually tried.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I can't live without out 3ds Max or Maya, I love them.
    Of course you can.If you keep this mindset of excluding certain tools you will not get far in this industry.

We're not talking about Paint VS Photoshop or Inivis AC3D VS Modo,this is Blender VS Max/Maya,and as a Maya user i can guaranty you that Blender is far more impressive modeling-wise than Maya.Just give yourself a week,watch some tutorials and see how to create basic stuff in the software.

If you can't afford Maya full or Max full,then just go with Blender.Maya LT and Modo Indie are castrated versions that can make you cry because of how stupid their limitations are.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I would recommend giving Blender a try. Sooner or later, in your professional career, you will have to learn new software. Might just as well get used to it right now. I'm not sure about Gimp, but there are other free alternatives to Photoshop, some are even more specialized, depending on what your requirements are. Otherwise stick with subscription models and indie versions, if possible.

In the end, software doesn't matter. Great art is great art, regardless of software used. And, you're expected to learn new tools as the industry evolves. The only jobs you'll lose out are short term "OMG we need a Maya guy" jobs, but trust me, you don't want those.

Also I would love to see more open source in our industry when it comes to content creation tools!

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Id say as a 3d artist the only software you have to buy outright is ZBrush. Even then I saw some pretty nice sculpting done in Blender on a youtube demo. In your shoes I would go with Gimp, Blender, Xnormal, Unity and Unreal 4. All of which are free. I used Blender a few times out of curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. I got the impression that it can do anything I want and even more. Personally I dont like using Maya, but if I have to I do. The reason I dont like it is only because I am not used to it, not because there is something wrong with the software.

I come from a time where the first 3d computer (take note it couldnt do anything else) cost as much as a decent house. The software cost the same. So if you wanted to practice 3d you had to take out a mortgage because you were buying 2 houses. I am amazed when people complain about having to buy software,.... because you dont, and dont get me started on the dirt cheap prices of incredible hardware now. I remember my first computer had 1MB of ram and cost a pretty penny. Now I am sitting on a new i7, SSD, 16gig ram plus an onboard HHD 2TB which a mate of mine put together and it all cost under 800 euro.

Take a look at what folks are making with free software. As far as I can see you have no problem at all.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I can't say anything much RE: Blender, but I can almost guarantee you'll have a better time with Krita + something to cover any missing functions than you'll have with just plain vanilla GIMP. There are also always "slightly cheaper" alternatives, as opposed to just open source/free vs $3,000 programs. It's not worth putting yourself or your family into financial trouble just for the tools when there are solid backups.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I would probably go with Blender and a Photoshop subscription. And I think I would be more than happy with Blender, from what I have seen recently.

With a little more budget, I would buy a Modo license, as it is my current tool of choice. The indie version seem pretty good as well as long as you're a solo artist. At this point I don't think I would go back to Max/Maya unless it was required. Autodesk pricing just doesn't seem justified and their software feels dated.

If you're doing characters, than there is probably no way around Zbrush. If not, then sculptris is free and actually pretty nice.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    full-featured video editing can be free (and good!) - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/products/davinciresolve
    if you need a node based compositor that can be had for naught, have a look at https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/de/products/fusion
    there's also the open source natron http://natron.fr/ which is a direct rip of nuke.

competent photoshop & illustrator replacements will soon be on windows: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/
    one time purchases at around 50 each. i'm using them already and photo blows the adobe stuff out of the water for pure speed. 2.2 ghz mac mini kills 4+ ghz windows pc running CS6 consistently for everything, the larger the canvas the more obvious. i have only a vague recollection of what illustrator is like but designer feels very nice to use to me and is snappy.

blender is very cool for 3D. i especially love how reliably it renders alpha mapped geometry in the viewport as opposed to max (i do a lot of hair jobs). needs a lot of reconfiguring on the user interface for max/maya users though. it can be done but might be a painful transition.

the downside to all of this is of course that most of it is not industry standard. it broadens horizons to learn new tools but might not be what an aspiring game artist looking for a studio job should consider.

• Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    A very compete free tool for Vector grpahics is Inkscape btw: https://inkscape.org/

• Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand that I can't get far in the industry without learning new software and adapting to change. I don't dislike Blender at all. It's just that I know it has some issues with exporting to UE4. I found out that I can keep my student version of my Maya 2016 and 3ds max 2016/2017 for 2 more years for portfolio and non-commercial stuff.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea, the educational licences for max and maya are free and last 3 years, and after that there is nothing stopping you from just creaiting another gmail account and re-signing up. for portfolio work and learning, there is really no reason why you shouldnt be using industry standard software, especially in a situation like there where it is free :) 
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I don't dislike Blender at all. It's just that I know it has some issues with exporting to UE4. 
    I haven't had any problems with it.

The biggest concern going forward is that afaik Blender will not continue to maintain their FBX support.
  • shaderfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    @Oblivion2500 Yes you can open .ma files in LT.
    You cannot open Maya LT files in regular Maya.

This is to prevent it being used for things it is not meant (modelling movie props and only have one copy of regular Maya in an entire studio for example)

You can export larger then 100.000 if you export to a game engine like Unity or Unreal.

So the limitation is really minimal and just there to remind you what it is meant to be used for (Indie game developers)

(You can also get Maya LT and get the Stingray game engine included for the same $30.)

In the end Maya LT sounds like it is targeted at people like yourself (lower budget, Indie type people who need something more affordable)
    Also, Autodesk products are available free to students, so that is another option (if you are one)

Of course if you need it to be free and you are not a student, then there is pretty much only Blender that I know of.
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    I already mentioned in my own thread, but I have an account builder savings at a local Korean American bank. I put in about $265 per month, and with the interest it will become $10,000 in 36 months. I plan to use it wisely for the software and the hardware.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    As some have said, its hard to go wrong with Modo and or Blender. I prefer Modo however, especially if you are on a budget. Load up a Maya/Max keymap and go from there.
    https://modo.thefoundry.co.uk/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/401090/

For sculpting, if you want to keep the price down you also have 3D Coat as an option. Its not bad at all, I'd rank it the second best option next to zbrush. I find the controls more enjoyable... and a pro license only cost like $375... not to mention you get some killer retopology and texture painting tools. http://3dcoat.com/home/  The sculpting approach and skills easily transfer over to zbrush and vice versa.

Video editing, as some have said Sony Movie Studio being a great option. For Free you can also check out Hitfilm 4 Express. Its a combination of video editor and After Effects like compositor. Really easy to use, practically no learning curve. https://hitfilm.com/express

• poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    What's the difference with Photoshop cc compared to the Photography price and the single app price?
    The photography plan looks like it has lightroom plus a bunch of other stuff. And the single app looks like it has 20 gb of cloud storage.

I only need Photoshop.
    Are both full Photoshop?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    poly_bob said:
    What's the difference with Photoshop cc compared to the Photography price and the single app price?
    The photography plan looks like it has lightroom plus a bunch of other stuff. And the single app looks like it has 20 gb of cloud storage.

I only need Photoshop.
    Are both full Photoshop?
    They are both full photoshop
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx said:
    @Oblivion2500 Yes you can open .ma files in LT.
    You cannot open Maya LT files in regular Maya.

This is to prevent it being used for things it is not meant (modelling movie props and only have one copy of regular Maya in an entire studio for example)

You can export larger then 100.000 if you export to a game engine like Unity or Unreal.

So the limitation is really minimal and just there to remind you what it is meant to be used for (Indie game developers)

(You can also get Maya LT and get the Stingray game engine included for the same $30.)

In the end Maya LT sounds like it is targeted at people like yourself (lower budget, Indie type people who need something more affordable)
    Also, Autodesk products are available free to students, so that is another option (if you are one)

Of course if you need it to be free and you are not a student, then there is pretty much only Blender that I know of.
    Good to know. Thanks for the more insight on Maya LT limitations.
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob said:

I only need Photoshop.
    Are both full Photoshop?
    The photography subscription is also half the price of paying just for photoshop by itself. $120 for 1 year.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    someone beat me to saying just resubscribe with a different email address
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    believe it or not photoshop has some simple video editing tools.  you could probably make a decent demo reel in it. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZJX_F6HVI