Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• solkar
    Offline / Send Message
    solkar vertex
    zweek said:
    As a fan of the 80's i love this. (i'm going to go listen to some Kavinsky now)
    I didn't played Kavinsky while making this. Just Perturbator and Power Glove  :p

@PolyHertz I have a demo where you control a ball tilting the Cardboard (something like Marble Madness), and I made this to use it with that demo. But I'm enjoying it so I'll probably use this style to explore more ideas. We'll see. Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    (i'm going to go listen to some Kavinsky now)

You should check out Trevor Something !

Nice work SOLKAR !

• swann
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    Fansub said:

Trevor Something Doesn't Exist.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool

You should be ashamed of yourself :D

• solkar
    Offline / Send Message
    solkar vertex
    nodeway said:
    Fansub said:

He seems a nice guy   :#
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Adding tools to my rigs that allow you to dynamically change from World Space to any Object Space.

It even lets you convert after the object has been animated.

• Najo
    Wow! it looks so awesome, that's really great texturing and rendering.
  • joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    Here is an update on the tool I'm working on. Added a stretch IK function. I'm still a rookie so there is a lot of bugs and stuff I don't really know how to solve. But I've learned a lot these last couple of weeks and I'll try to improve this tool when I have more time on my hands.

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    joarwho said:
    Here is an update on the tool I'm working on. Added a stretch IK function. I'm still a rookie so there is a lot of bugs and stuff I don't really know how to solve. But I've learned a lot these last couple of weeks and I'll try to improve this tool when I have more time on my hands.

That looks pretty rad. What else are you thinking of adding/tweaking to it?

For my own thing, I had previously said I made a small "first" maxscript for just quickly exporting all selected objects (center pivot to object and place on 0,0,0, export then re place pivot and position) to a folder in the same folder as your max file...but that turned out it was highly broken (would actually export ALL your selected objects instead of single exports) So I revisited it and fixed it up. 
    Trying to figure out how to make a maxscript installer like all the fancy ones have as I am hoping to start working on more max scripts and would like to bundle them...
    http://travisevashkevich.com/Shareables/CenterExport.zip
    If anyone wants to check it out (gif of it wouldn't be that entertaining really so didn't make one :wink: )
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there,
    Some advances with the skin shader for Unity. Happy with those early results. There is still a lot to do on specular, lighting, etc. :)

• solkar
    Offline / Send Message
    solkar vertex
    fire67 said:
    Hey there,
    Some advances with the skin shader for Unity. Happy with those early results. There is still a lot to do on specular, lighting, etc. :)
    That looks spectacular.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12

I made some simple scripts to access the CryEngine Texture export dialog without needing to go through Photoshop :)

GitHub:
    https://github.com/mystichobo/EzCryTifTools
  • fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    solkar said:
    fire67 said:
    Hey there,
    That looks spectacular.
    Thanks @solkar ;)
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    I have recorded a video of the latest tools I have made in one package called Dark Blender. I have automated almost the entire pipeline of game asset creation. My tool allow to generate a mesh from a drawing (in the video i do that manually, this tool doesnt existed) http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?383624-Dark-Blender-(Official-Thread)-optimized-for-sculpting-and-game-asset-creation&p=3030968&viewfull=1#post3030968

You can convert your high poly into a game asset at your desired polycount, unfold the UV, optimize the texel density, bake and save your textures, generate all your Lod, setup the lighting and import the textures and get painting layers all of that is done is one single click. You can generate a billboard, abox, a sphere base mesh symmetrized, polish your model, convert for sculpting.
    You can paint using an ID mask system attached to premade gradients and an image with colors to pick to apply stylized color effect. You can composite to show your work in one node. You can change the image scale and aspect ratio by unmuting node groups, add your own gradient easily.

It is completely free. DL: http://linko.projects.free.fr/dblender.zip

• solkar
    Offline / Send Message
    solkar vertex
    I've been doing more work on my retro synthwave inspired scenes. Instead of the typical car I've opted for a speedboat.
    I'm not very happy with the boat itself, I grabbed a high poly model from TurboSquid and tried to decimate the mesh with MeshLab. But it turns out to have too many triangles and the upper part of the boat looks like a total mess. It's quite clear that I'd need a proper low-poly model. Let's see how I manage to do that, I'm basically a programmer and my Blender skill is quite limited to do that in a decent amount of time.

I also have to do something with the water splash particles ( the pink cubes ). I reckon they don't quite look like water splashes yet.

[EDIT] Uploaded a gif to make it clearer:

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Some progress on Quick Pipe :)

This new gif shows the Transfer Settings command which basically transfers the settings of the first selected pipe to all other pipes.Also added some error handling in case some dumbfucks select non-pipe objects and run it :p

http://i.giphy.com/xTiQywoXNqDKstAz5e.gif

• zweek
    Offline / Send Message
    zweek polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good Fansub!
  • fuzzzzzz
    Offline / Send Message
    fuzzzzzz polycounter lvl 5
    wow i just discover that topic today, there is so much great thing on there :)
    I will contribute soon, i am working on a Zplugin , having some slow progress, but i can already share this image of the plugin with you sorry, it a wip so the final UI will evolve a little bit. hope you enjoy !
    I put the much love i had to zbrush to make my best on this plugin.

UPDATED :
    Sorry for the lack of information i still work on the UI of the plugin and that not easy to create tutorials and the documentation at same time, but i will try to resume quickly :)
     The objective are multiple with quicksketch master plugin, ( if anyone have a better name you can suggest me )

Illustrator/Rendering Usage:
    The plugin has PSD Editor bridge and a Render Passes Batch system that renders and save all the requested maps so you can open them in photoshop and rebuilt the all the passes to get a similar rendering then when you render in material shaded mode.
    The problem is that Zbrush can't to export a layered psd file, so you have to do that manually within the psd Editor
    oh it's even better when the PSD editor supports the hot reload.

Sketch and concept art,
    There is a tool that acts like the originally Quicksketch function made by pixologic,
    but it renders the selected maps using BPR,save as a psd file, then reload the file as a texture, to apply the render onto a plane3d mesh texture maps slot
    and turns the texture into polypaint data. So you can instantly start to sketch/draw on it.

It can be useful, when you make some silhouetting /concepting sketch into Zbrush, example : if you use move tool on the plane3D mesh
    there is a distortion that can be removed  by using BPR 2 Quicksketch feature.
    There is also the classic Quicksketch option so everything is at the same place within Zbrush UI.

You can even transform a texture into a paintable quicksketch mesh. You just import a texture, make it be the current texture selected, then push "texture to quicksketch"
    and it acts similarily to bpr 2 quicksketch, so you can paint on it

Note : at this moment , an option is missing , the one that reload the depth data into the displacement slot of the plane3D mesh instead of the BPR shaded render in texture maps slot.
    , but i will add that soon before  i release 1.0 version of the plugin.

That say, the main reason and objective with the development of that plugin was to create PBR textures using Zbrush, unfortunately, Zbrush shader system is
    restricted, so I made some workflow preset so you can work with many other software, substance designer/painter, quixel suite,
    using matid maps with the rendering batch. I work on a save plugin preference to File, so you can load custom settings and make you own.

I added some tools that help to create RGB mask for using with UE4 material editor, so you can have different shaders blended on the same UV set.
    Lately i could develop a material library for ue4 or even use the starter pack material at first time, so i could recreate the setup just by pushing a button
    and reading a config file that will be created from Zbrush.

Note  that PBR shaders in Zbrush are preset materials already calibrated for UE4  and that respect the pbr charts.

shaders are simple quadshaders, you can load from lighbox, ( it a full mess, into the Zb material picker to handle all this pbr presets so i prefer to use lightbox. )

Albedo, gloss or rough, specular, metallic are store within the SH1, SH2 sh3 sh4 properties, just that pbr are very flat at export, because the quadshaders do not support texture input.

There is a switcher in pbr Workflow subpalette, it checks every materials used in the zproject, and switch to SH1 channel, disable all the SH2,3 and, 4 than bake the maps,
    after that it disable SH1, enable SH2  and render again, and so on.

Now that everything is working as expected, i am working on tools that will support the use of nanotile mesh to create tiled textures.
    When i would have achieve this part of the plugin, it will mean that Zbrush will have a full NONE DESTRUCTIVE Workflow, to create Tiled Textures maps.

I planned for the 1.1 version, after the release 1.0,
    to add models support, so you could export from Zbrush your scene and subtools models and then Bake the maps you need using Substance BatchTools.

Sorry again for not having posted that information before , hope you will like and i don't make it confused :)
    Nicolas

• Eleszar1
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleszar1 polycounter lvl 11
    what is this zplugin for?
  • PanAtoman
    Offline / Send Message
    PanAtoman polycounter lvl 7
    Fansub said:
    Sorry for spamming this thread ^^

Made some progress on the script.We're getting closer and closer to the release and most bugs on the previous versions were solved :)

http://i.giphy.com/l2JJslUa5iQlumMnu.gif

Oh hell. this looks really impressive. I'll be one of the first who'll  buy this.

• fuzzzzzz
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleszar1 said:
    what is this zplugin for?
    I had just updated my original post, adding some more information ;)
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    FUZZZZZ wow that's really nice,always loved multi-usage tools !

By the way,how hard/easy is Zscripting to you ? Would really like to try it someday,but don't how much time will be required to fully understand how things work.

Thanks PANATOMAN and ZWEEK ! :)
  • fuzzzzzz
    Offline / Send Message
    Your feedback is welcome , and would love to get a little more feedback, from the community, right, here is not much matter to give excepted what i already posted as information about the project.

Fansub said:
    FUZZZZZ wow that's really nice,always loved multi-usage tools !

By the way,how hard/easy is Zscripting to you ? Would really like to try it someday,but don't how much time will be required to fully understand how things work.

About zscripting it 's not as hard as you might think, most of restriction are about UI and debug tool,  no enum support, the syntax is just different than any other scripting language, and splitting a zscript into many *.zsc files and call them from the main interface, is not really comfortable to work with, so the full code of my plugin is contained into a single file. and making it harder to navigate into the source code. :/
    Oh now i remember about the about the main HUGE restriction that exists in Zbrush scripting/plugins !
    When you run a script  the process is executed as a single run, mean by that if you want to do something else and continue to proceed step by step to create something specific,  like if you have the need to access to another plugin interface, (like Fbx export or what ever you want, decimation, just as example for the purpose)  before your script process is finished, the script is terminated, and you must to run it again.
    so if you make a sort of stepping creation process, i suppose you need to store the vars data somewhere on the disk or in temp memory block and press a button to continue the process.

hope i have been clear enough :P
    Nicolas
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Wow,thanks a lot for all the details,Zscript  looks like a really nice language to learn ! :D

Some new stuff about Quick Pipe.

In the previous versions you had to go through a pipe's hidden Group to find the path,make it visible,start editing it and doing all the other operations again to get it back to where it was.I've cut down this workflow to one button : Edit Pipe.
    With a pipe as a selection,it basically toggles it's path visibility,which can come in really handy like in the example below :

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4hLR7ylktQPHVgUE/giphy.gif

I am also very happy to say that Quick Pipe 1.0 will be released by the end of April !
    The goal to me was first to create a small script and learn MEL at the same time,but now i hope it will be a unique,complex yet simple   tool that everybody can easily use :)
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Moar QuickPipe stuff,wanted to see how fast one can make clothing folds with the available settings,and it turns out to be really easy !

Currently wrapping up some video tutorials that will get published with the release.A few bug fixes,better documentation and the Open Profiler are all that remain.Can't wait to finish this project ! :)

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7HfQwjjw5vzJVWWA/giphy.gif
  • fuzzzzzz
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Fansub, if you need some one to test out your mel script in MayaLT, just ask me, your script is taking a really nice progress even if i don't model hard surface meshes and even more in maya, the twist feature is looking really great :)
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Hey FUZZZZZZ,thanks for your interest in Quick Pipe !

Will make sure to add you to my beta-tester list as soon as i update the beta with the latest version ! :)
  • fuzzzzzz
    Offline / Send Message
    just posted a tutorial that show the use of my plugin in that specific case, its just to batch the render passes and then recompose everything in photoshop for illustration purpose.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WSi1xMcaQ
    sorry for my bad english / voice :/
  • ultramedia
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Been working on planetary terrain for UE4.  Early stages yet, but is going better than I expected :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7GryUGJRtA
  • ultramedia
  • BigErn
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Fansub said:
    Hey FUZZZZZZ,thanks for your interest in Quick Pipe !

Will make sure to add you to my beta-tester list as soon as i update the beta with the latest version ! :)
    Hey Fansub,   Been lurking in this thread to see when you release your amazing script :) Would be happy to test out if you need too!   Any ideas when the full release will be and its cost?
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Would be happy to test out if you need too!   Any ideas when the full release will be and its cost?

Hey BIGERN,glad to know you're interested in Quick Pipe !
    The tool will be released on April 30 for 5$ :) Will make a proper thread next week for it,'been spamming this one like hell ^^'

• walter
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Nice Fansub, it's mine.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Thanks WALTER !

Took a few hours to work on something other than QuickPïpe.Always wanted to boolean objects super quickly so here is a GIF showing a small script (roughly 80 lines of code) that creates "Smart Bevels" without all the annoying stuff you would normally face in Maya's Bevel.

Early WIP,might work a little bit more on it next month.I've made a (ghost) thread where i put all my bevel/boolean/hard edges experimentations.You can find it right here :

http://polycount.com/discussion/164254/maya-surface-based-asset-generation

http://i.giphy.com/3o6ozF4UaVLlzsbQqs.gif

• BigErn
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Fansub said:
    Thanks WALTER !

Took a few hours to work on something other than QuickPïpe.Always wanted to boolean objects super quickly so here is a GIF showing a small script (roughly 80 lines of code) that creates "Smart Bevels" without all the annoying stuff you would normally face in Maya's Bevel.

Early WIP,might work a little bit more on it next month.I've made a (ghost) thread where i put all my bevel/boolean/hard edges experimentations.You can find it right here :

take my money now please!!    so why cant Autodesk spend the time to make this!?
  • Maddog4america
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddog4america polycounter lvl 5
    The mighty power of ncloth with polygonal objects.

video below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzig9kraxI

• badmouse
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    BigErn said:
    Fansub said:
    Thanks WALTER !

take my money now please!!    so why cant Autodesk spend the time to make this!?
    Becouse they are too busy thinking in rename the actual tools and how can layout all manus again in every version of Maya, is pretty tough work you know...lol
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Fansub said:
    Thanks WALTER !

I would pay $80 for this script. I need this.
  • Psychotic_Mike
    Offline / Send Message
    Psychotic_Mike polycounter lvl 11
    PanAtoman said:
    Fansub said:
    Sorry for spamming this thread ^^

Made some progress on the script.We're getting closer and closer to the release and most bugs on the previous versions were solved :)

http://i.giphy.com/l2JJslUa5iQlumMnu.gif

Oh hell. this looks really impressive. I'll be one of the first who'll  buy this.

Where can someone find this?
  • Der_Kevin
  • zweek
    Offline / Send Message
    zweek polycounter lvl 17
    Makkon said:
    Fansub said:
    Thanks WALTER !

I would pay $80 for this script. I need this.
    @Fansub looks awesome! you got my number if you need testing! :)
  • solkar
    Offline / Send Message
    solkar vertex
    Der_Kevin said:
    This game is going to be anything but boring.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Finally created an official thread for Quick Pipe !

It's been one hell of an adventure and i want to say thank you for everybody on this thread and sorry for spamming for so long ^^'
    http://i.giphy.com/l3V0qii9ogYOimUVy.gif
    http://polycount.com/discussion/168802/maya-quick-pipe-curve-edge-based-path-creation-tool

• artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Working on automating some high poly holding edges!

Check out my thread here:

http://polycount.com/discussion/168879/new-tool-for-maya-autohighpoly-beta#latest
  • vonBerg
    Offline / Send Message
    vonBerg polycounter lvl 5
  • vonBerg
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Quite recently I started to learn scripting in 3D software, for me this is exciting new stuff :)

This is a work in progress of a tool I am working on, it is called Tycoon. (A lot of inspiration came from Tycoon games. )

Tool for 3Ds Max: Create bending objects like:  Cables, Pipes, Street lights, Fences, Roll bars, Engines etc.
    Or curve edit: Rollercoasters, Roads, Fence etc.

Still very very WIP. But it is fun.

http://gph.is/1TchLnL

Example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc3n_lJVm4Q&feature=youtu.be

• fuzzzzzz
    Offline / Send Message
    HEllo guys,
    Fansub congratz for the release of your tool.
    Here is my progress for tileable texturing Work
    with a None destructive workflow using BPR render and QuickSketchMaster Plugin + Photoshop .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_RqyP3wEQ4
    Hope you enjoy.
    Nicolas

• fuzzzzzz
    Offline / Send Message
    i had been capable to technically reproduce the creation of a tillable texture using nanomesh and Array mesh.
    just have now to code that in my plugin ;)

Waoh, i get impressed myself !
    I can make 1 tileable texture per minutes, and also edit the nanomesh , and generate full some new tileable pattern, render with bpr then go to ps and apply the offset!

sorry it screen capture from photoshop using shareX.
    Nicolas

• StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    [Animation stuff below]
    Last month, I set out to build a GUI. 
    This GUI was intended to take care of my FK/IK animation setup that I enjoy using in Maya.
    Before this, it was long and tedious process to do to each individual limb on a character... let alone many characters for a scene.

So, now that most of it is setup within melscript...I'm able to add in extra pieces & features on top , as time goes on :)
    Guess that's the beauty of scripting stuff eh
    Anyways, I think I may be the only one who's stoked about this...but hey.. maybe there are others that'll dig this too

An example of the DualRig system here

• vonBerg
    Offline / Send Message
    [3Ds max tool]
    Tycoooon -- Update --  Custom meshes support and twisting in progress!
    Testing it with custom rollercoasters of course :)