Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PancakeMSTR polycounter lvl 4
    This is what I don't understand how to do 
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9

After some thought and trying to channel the spirit of @Pedro Amorim and @perna, I made a semi-parametric version. I used a 72 sided cylinder - I tried 36 but the chamfer left some pinching along the slope but you could add better loops and it should be fine. The Chamfer modifier I think is only available in Max 2015 onwards but you could also look at the quad chamfer modifier someone made. Clone modifier can be found here http://www.itoosoft.com/freeplugins/clone.php

Hopefully this helps.
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    I've tried a couple different ways to accomplish the task and I've had a decent outcome but with the pinching occuring.  I've improved greatly with high poly modeling and I normally like to start with the low poly and go with a turbosmooth/swift loop and/or a combination of the Quad Chamfer tool.  I'm trying to figure out how to get the extrude I have in the image below to work well in a high poly fashion without getting the corners to pinch.  I'm currently using 3ds Max 2016.  I'm looking at the post above and I may have my answer with the way the edges are laid out on near the corners but thought I'd ask for help just to see if the answer may turn out differently.

• PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kroma!
     Yes, wow, thank you. 
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, thanks so much guys. With minimal pinching I was able to get more or less what I wanted. Thanks! 
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I've tried a couple different ways to accomplish the task and I've had a decent outcome but with the pinching occuring.  I've improved greatly with high poly modeling and I normally like to start with the low poly and go with a turbosmooth/swift loop and/or a combination of the Quad Chamfer tool.  I'm trying to figure out how to get the extrude I have in the image below to work well in a high poly fashion without getting the corners to pinch.  I'm currently using 3ds Max 2016.  I'm looking at the post above and I may have my answer with the way the edges are laid out on near the corners but thought I'd ask for help just to see if the answer may turn out differently.

what is that, and how is it supposed to look?
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    perna said:
    More less
    this!
  • Klim3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klim3D polycounter lvl 6

Please help understand how to model this chandelier, rather whorl for lampshades?

http://www.kutek.com.pl/media/produkty/big/FIO-ZW-6+1(P).png

• acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:

what is that, and how is it supposed to look?
    My apologies for the late reply.  First chance I've had to check Polycount.

When it's finished, a computer console that'll have control over a power core.  They are air vents.  I'm looking to have softer corners than what is there already.  What I tried was using Edge Loop near each side.  Leaving it alone for the weekend and coming back to it, I tried that again and it worked pretty well this time.  I'm guessing I did something wrong the first time and the results were kind of buggy.  Below is a close up of one of these vents.  Turned out much cleaner this time.

• another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Hey hi everyone, thought this place would be the right one for this question, didnt feel like creating a new subject just for that - tell me if im wrong

So I am switching back to Max after a while rolling with Maya, and I can't find anymore the way to isolate your poly/element selection (equivalent to ctrl+1 in maya). Not the whole object just the polygons you're working on.

just spent some time googling it around, cant find any working way all it gives me is the isolate object which I know already

Thank you
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    Hey hi everyone, thought this place would be the right one for this question, didnt feel like creating a new subject just for that - tell me if im wrong

So I am switching back to Max after a while rolling with Maya, and I can't find anymore the way to isolate your poly/element selection (equivalent to ctrl+1 in maya). Not the whole object just the polygons you're working on.

just spent some time googling it around, cant find any working way all it gives me is the isolate object which I know already

Thank you

there it is in maya 2014 i dont know about 15 or 16

• The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    It's also more conveniently in the right click menu under display (top right quadrant).
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Oh right under my nose
    thank you guys
  • franman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13

When I connect the train to a path constraint, the pistons flew else where in 3D space.

As you can apparently see, near the top left hand corner is where the piston is at in perspective view while the train is on the spline.

I was basing the animation concept from this bonus chapter on "Rigging the Hudson" by Chris Harvey.  It was a bonus chapter on this DVD "Advanced Modelling 2" by Chris Thomas.

All I did was set a position node (its the red node where the pistons are) put a position script on it so it moves left and right as the wheel turns.  Furthermore, since the length of the bars of the pistons are short I've duplicated another copy of this train having to select only the bars of the pistons delete the rest of geometry of the copied train move the extra pistons and snipped into position of the edge of the original position and linked it to the node that controls the original pistons.

In case you need to see my sample here's my 3ds Max file: please see attached.

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get your post..
    This is a thread about modeling help. Are you trying to ask anything related to modeling that I didn't understand?
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, back again....Could someone help me out with this part? I've got ideas, but I wanted to see what the experts had to say....I could use help with the WHOLE part, but the bit circled in red PARTICULARLY. I've posted where I'm starting from in Max as well. 
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna
     I Don't know how to get that soft indent on the side, the part I circled in red. I mean I have ideas, but I wanted to see what polycount had to say. 
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    Pancake: You just make the cage, then subdivide it. It's a rectangle with slanted sides, in other words the most basic level of modeling. If that's the case I would recommend some videos on fundamentals modeling rather than asking individual questions here. Or perhaps I don't understand your problem.
    I don't think it's quite so trivial....but I'm working on it. There are a lot of subtle details that I think are pretty difficult to get right. 
  • EmilyBrooks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmilyBrooks polycounter lvl 3
    I'm trying to figure out how you would model thick hair braids like this. Suppose you were trying to make the character model decently low poly, around 1000ish polys. I can think of a couple ways to do it but they don't look correct from multiple angles. image
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    I don't think it's quite so trivial....but I'm working on it. There are a lot of subtle details that I think are pretty difficult to get right. 

Below seems to be as accurate as you would ever want it, but it's just using basic poly modeling. From top to bottom: Concept overlaid on hipoly, hipoly, cage. The only thing is the rear view doesn't match the perspective view in the (3D!) concept, and there's a tiny oddball shape which can go one way or another, but however you chose to interpret it, the end result is straight forward to model out. Or?

That's not a bad basis. I'm doing it a bit differently, and a lot of the difficulty I'm having is associated with keeping things straight in....the particular way I want to. I dunno, it's hard to describe, but once I've gotten it all working I'll post it. 

I figured out HOW to do it, but it's tricky and I haven't gotten it all completely right just yet. Like I said, I'll post the results when I have them. Thanks for the help, though, anyway. 
  • PancakeMSTR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    That's not a bad basis. I'm doing it a bit differently, and a lot of the difficulty I'm having is associated with keeping things straight in....the particular way I want to. I dunno, it's hard to describe, but once I've gotten it all working I'll post it. 
    Is this according to the Chopra New Age School of Modeling?
    What, like the Deepak Chopra school? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but no.  More like the "I'm a perfectionist to the point of it being detrimental" school.  I can't describe the problem exactly because it would take me 30 minutes to do so and like 10 images. It's also something I think I can work through on my own, so no sense wasting everyone's time bringing it here. 
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't want to start a new thread and feel this may be the best spot for this question, I'm using 3ds Max 2016 and a mesh I'm currently unwrapping will stretch out when I use the relax tool or pelt map it.  This normally doesn't happen.  I feel like a setting was accidentally checked.  I'll have to use the Freeform mode to size up the checker texture properly to get the UVs to lay out properly.  After I set it up correctly, I used the Relax tool to see if it was a glitch and it it'll go back to the slightly stretched position.

If this isn't the place for such a question, send me in the right direction.  Ha ha!

• Dz1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dz1986 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, everybody! Help to understand as it is correct to make topology in this element further to understand the principles of topology!
  • Dz1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dz1986 polycounter lvl 2
    I have correctly made or it is necessary to correct?

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dz1986 said:

When you turbosmooth that shape... does it look the way you want it to? 
  • sqrRedwend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sqrRedwend polycounter lvl 9
    I really don't want to start a new thread and feel this may be the best spot for this question, I'm using 3ds Max 2016 and a mesh I'm currently unwrapping will stretch out when I use the relax tool or pelt map it.  This normally doesn't happen.  I feel like a setting was accidentally checked.  I'll have to use the Freeform mode to size up the checker texture properly to get the UVs to lay out properly.  After I set it up correctly, I used the Relax tool to see if it was a glitch and it it'll go back to the slightly stretched position.

If this isn't the place for such a question, send me in the right direction.  Ha ha!

Be sure to reset transformations before unwrapping your model. It is found under utilities tab > Reset XForm
  • Dz1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dz1986 polycounter lvl 2
    Dz1986 said:

Yes. I have correctly constructed loops?
  • Dz1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dz1986 polycounter lvl 2
    Dz1986 said:

Yes.shape after turbosmooth that which I wanted to receive turns out!
    I haven't correctly asked a question. At me everything is correct in respect of topology? all loops, or it is necessary to add. I the beginner just try to understand the principles that further at construction not to make mistakes! For earlier thanks!

• Dz1986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dz1986 polycounter lvl 2
    What to do from this shape arranges to leave so with turbosmooth result me but same it isn't correct, or to add loops I only don't know as well as where prompt!As it has to be correct?

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ixrob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ixrob polycounter lvl 10
    I am trying to model this and want to know other peoples workflows    i really am trying to find a fast way to do these types of things 
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    Hello, I'm working on a low poly scene and I'm good with all the man-made stuff, but I'm utterly failing on the plant stuff. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do the window boxes? I've tried so many models/textures and nothing looks right. The real hangup I'm having is that the boxes should look good when viewed from the ground, where the player would be standing.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    ixrob said:
    I am trying to model this and want to know other peoples workflows    i really am trying to find a fast way to do these types of things 
    take a look back a couple of pages. There's a lot about this! =)
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I'm trying to figure out how you would model thick hair braids like this. Suppose you were trying to make the character model decently low poly, around 1000ish polys. I can think of a couple ways to do it but they don't look correct from multiple angles. image
     I use this method for subdiv but a modified version of it might work for your case. Make one segment and twist it into the shape you want or create one repeating segment and FFD so it tapers or flattens in certain places. Used the same method for these braids and can be modified so there's only two "ropes". 
    It sounds silly but using braided bread for reference really helps in identifying an individual segment to repeat.

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Any advice on modelling these shapes?

Without getting hard edges and maintaining the roundness of the cylinder? It's something I've had trouble with for quite some time.
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9

Without getting hard edges and maintaining the roundness of the cylinder? It's something I've had trouble with for quite some time.
    Doing on a plane , apply smooth , and then use bend modifier .
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    BohSheh said:

Doing on a plane , apply smooth , and then use bend modifier .
    Why didn't I think of that... jeez..

Thanks!
  • ZiDo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZiDo polycounter lvl 2
    Hi!
    I will try with cylinder with many segments.

• ZiDo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZiDo polycounter lvl 2
    Hi!
    I will try with cylinder with many segments. Soon I will model this.

• ooParanoia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooParanoia polycounter lvl 3
    More of a general question. How would you go on modelling an environment like seen in the picture as modular as possible?

Even this little screenshot seems to have like 100 unique assets put together. How could one break this down? I mean of course I will never reach that level of detail alone in a couple of weeks which is basically the timeframe I have for that, but how can I get fastest to something as close as possible while being as efficient as possible? :)

My approach at the moment would be to sperate the shops from the flats on top of them. The shops in tiles of 2m x 4m (WxH) and the flat-tiles 2mx3m. Some unique decorative assets to spice things up (clock, flag, pillars etc.)

Thanks

• oscrjhnssn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oscrjhnssn polycounter lvl 3
    More of a general question. How would you go on modelling an environment like seen in the picture as modular as possible?
    You are on the right track. Break it down into re-useable modules with variations in texture and objects in the way you describe it.

Damien Bastian from Ubisoft actually did a talk on the environmental tools and pipeline they used on ACS on GDC2016. It's available on GDC Vault if you have access to that. Look for Assassin's Creed Syndicate: London Wasn't Built in a Day
  • ooParanoia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooParanoia polycounter lvl 3
    You are on the right track. Break it down into re-useable modules with variations in texture and objects in the way you describe it.

Damien Bastian from Ubisoft actually did a talk on the environmental tools and pipeline they used on ACS on GDC2016. It's available on GDC Vault if you have access to that. Look for Assassin's Creed Syndicate: London Wasn't Built in a Day
    I do have access to the vault :) Thanks a ton. Will look for that!
  • Tomseas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomseas polycounter lvl 5
    Question about how to model a certain shape. I'm doing a London scene and working on a phone booth and doing the roof. I'm curious how you'd go about doing it. I started trying to do it from scratch then decided instead to use curves and extrude one along the other. It gave me the overall shape. I'm guessing with better topo and some extra polys it would look better. Is there a more efficient method?
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low_seb polycounter lvl 12
    hi, I am really stuck with one particular shape. I going to model this knife

and the big hole in the handle make me crazy, I try lot of stuff but nothing satisfying
    this last shape give me weird result

thanks a lot

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post the obj for the part where you want the hole in? So i can take a look and help you out.

• low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomseas said:
    Question about how to model a certain shape. I'm doing a London scene and working on a phone booth and doing the roof. I'm curious how you'd go about doing it. I started trying to do it from scratch then decided instead to use curves and extrude one along the other. It gave me the overall shape. I'm guessing with better topo and some extra polys it would look better. Is there a more efficient method?
    you could model it flat and then select the extremities and soft selection it move down.  in max it's the ffd modifier. 
  • low_seb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot, whats your workflow with this shape ?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low_seb said:
    thanks a lot, whats your workflow with this shape ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuVZjTrRVY

Here you go. It's basically using 2 cylinders with pro boolean. the outside cylinder acts as the control edge for the inner cylinder. 
    Then it's just a matter of doing a little cleanup.

edit: Just noticed teh video gets cut when i add the first cylinder.  No worries. Basically as you can see, you make one cylinder and then duplicate the other and increase the radius. When using boolean, select the Imprint option and no edge removal. This way you don't actually carve the mesh. You just get a cut where the meshes intersect. then clean up on aisle 6 yo.