Home General Discussion

Finishing projects. The struggle is real.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ariannwyn polycounter lvl 4
Does anyone else have trouble finishing projects? I start them, end up getting stuck or just slogging through, and then it ends up not getting done. Sometimes the length of time a project takes to complete is discouraging.

Replies

• RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    I struggle with this a lot myself, as other artists do as well. Maybe stepping back and instead of doing a full Character/Environment just do part of it. For example (Character: do a bust or accessory and for an Environment: do a prop or just part of it) from start to finish and gradually start doing more. Maybe is a situation where you're taking on too much at a time? or your passion for the project is not as high as when you started.

It happens, you just have to power through it!
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Plow through it! - I promise it gets better - 
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Pick projects that you know you can finish, or find a like-minded individual who can work with you, swap tips, help with blockers, and help keep you on track.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I watched the video half way and now I feel dizzy....
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    for me learning something new is the project... i never finished any private asset in the last 15 years... learning and improving is the important part for me... 

if i would like to finish a project i do a challenge with a fixed deadline...

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Yes, I have ADD and one of the big issues I have is that I'll finish 90% of a project, or 1 aspect of a project (i.e. high poly model) and then I just give up because I already finished the challenging parts. That's when the "spinning around the model time" kicks in. 

Starting small is good advice.  Also try to pick projects you're truly passionate about. For example it's much easier for me to finish photography related stuff like texture packs and HDRis because there's a clear purpose involved. And it's very rewarding to get positive feedback from people. When I'm just making art for the sake of art I'm much more likely to can a project.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I started modelling a BMW in 2002 and I am still working on it. must be some kind of record. My problem is that I will
    deliberately choose a project that is hard to pull off , ie the challenge is the thing rather than making something I am really passionate about
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    got the same  problem. Once the initial challenge is mastered personal projects hover at 60 - 80% completed. I have yet to convince myself that actually finishing is the greatest challenge of them all. It's a far greater challenge than anything artistic or technical. It's all in the mind...
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Finish most of your project, put it away if you are sick of it and then finish it with a bang some time later. You'll also have a benefit of a fresh eye and see some minor flaws you weren't able to notice before. I've started my car project as an exercise in full cycle modelling but was able to finish it only 2 years later. It made to Polycount front page so I consider it was worth it. Learned a lot in the process too.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    I think finishing a project can be pretty daunting sometimes, especially if the scope of it is huge.  Something that helps me if I'm building an environment or assets for a game is to list out the assets and cross them out.  

It is kind of tedious, but it does really help to show progress and how much more you've got to go to get it done.  
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Working on something when you're excited about it is easy. That fades after a while and you just have to plow through. It's the same reason people get super motivated each new year and head to the gym for a week before abandoning it. That said, I have a million half finished WIPs so you are definitely not alone.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Didn't know this was so prevalent. With me it's especially irritating because I'll do all the legwork on a project, then get freaked out when it comes to the final touches, texture work etc. That point at which it stops being conceptual and starts becoming concrete, portfolio work.

But I'm starting to catch myself. Follow-through is an important skill to learn just as much as anything else.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

(Planning For Success)
    Pretty sure that basically everybody has trouble finishing projects. Hell, I have about four projects right now that I'm completely ignoring. That said, I'm still able to finish things if I decide to focus on them. Here's what I do if I want to start a project, maintain the energy to see it through, and push through the last 10% that takes 90% of the work:

1. Understand the scope of what I'm doing

If I have a very large or very involved project, I try to figure out exactly how it needs to look once it's finished. I ask myself simple questions about the project, and try to always come up with concrete answers that provide a way forward if I ever lose track of what I'm doing.

I recently made a character for a client, and it was a guy wearing a suit. The character's head and hands were already finished, but I needed to know what his outfit looked like, so I started doing research on suits and then asked a series of questions that had very definite answers:
    • How casual or formal is this suit in general?
    • Is it a two- or three-piece suit?
    • Is it double or single-breasted?
    • One, two, or three front buttons?
    • Does it have notch, peak, or shawl lapels?
    • What style of pockets does it have?
    • How many sleeve buttons does it have, and how are they spaced?
    • Does it have no rear vents, a center vent, or double vents?
    • Is it silk, synthetic, wool, a blend, or other?
    • What actual type of fabric does it use?
    • What color and pattern does it use?
    • Etc.
    These are all questions I can get definite answers on, whether I'm working with a client or making a character for myself. Once I have the answers to these questions, I can start using them as points to check off a list of things I have or have not accomplished.

2. Understand how to achieve the end result I'm looking for

If I don't know how to do something that's absolutely necessary to finishing a project, there's a good chance I'm never going to finish what I set out to do unless I make learning that thing a part of the process of finishing the project.

Let's take the suit guy example from above as an example:

I don't know how suit jackets are constructed. If I'm trying to make a believable guy in a suit, I need to understand a few things:
    • Panel shapes
    • Seam placement
    • Proper fit
    • Etc.
    And each of those things has sub-items I need to know:
    • Why are suit jacket sleeves not made using straight lines?
    • How are the lapels attached to the front panels and collar?
    • Do rear vents overlap, or are they just straight cuts?
    • How do you make a shaped waist using darts?
    • Etc.
    For every potential problem area in a final product, I physically write a list of things that are going to give me trouble. I can then use this list as a basis for doing research on how to solve those problems. I use lists like this for all kinds of problems, especially when it comes to things like rendering and lighting.

Having a list of problems I've solved also serves as a reminder to myself that I'm getting stuff done.

3. Work in a timely manner, and use deadlines to my advantage

I find working under pressure is the best time to get good work done. Time pressure forces me to do the best I can in an allotted period, and this allows me to objectively judge how well I've done.

If you're working on a personal project without deadlines, you can still get stuff done by either focusing on a specific task or by forcing yourself to work for a specific amount of time.

If you focus on a specific task there are some great results:
    • You understand how far into that task you are most of the time
    • Knocking out a specific task and calling that part done lets you see your overall progress in much better context
    • You can tell yourself you actually got some shit done instead of procrastinating

If you focus on working for a specific period of time, there are also some good results:
    • You're usually going to keep wanting to work if you cut yourself off after a specific time period
    • You get a very good idea about what you can accomplish in a set amount of time
    • You start to understand how long the entire project will take if you split it up into similar increments

If you force yourself to work in a timely manner, whether it's by focusing on a specific task during time you have available, or by forcing yourself to work for a specific time period, you're going to develop good working and scheduling habits.

4. Never think about my motivation and only think about how to achieve the end result

Finishing projects is not a problem with "motivation" because motivation is a bullshit term for "I have a reason to do this thing." The reason you have to do the thing is the same as doing the thing. Making projects is fun and rewarding, and if you get good enough at it, you can make it so you pay your bills doing something fun and rewarding.

The carrot on the end of the stick is not paying your bills. The carrot on the end of the stick is the fun and rewarding feeling you get from making cool stuff.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Fantastic post, @swizzle

Added a few words at the start of your post just to help out the front page readability. 
  • BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    I used to have a hard time finishing my personal projects to update my portfolio.  Working a full time design job then coming home and having to motivate myself to keep working on portfolio work is a challenge in itself.  It gets even more difficult when your personal project feels stale, or you're at a point where its becoming tedious.

While this may not work for everyone, this is what I did to keep myself moving,  I started 3-4 projects at a time (I know it sounds like a bad idea but stay with me.)  Each time I have spare time I work on a different one of them,  For me it has kept me fresh on each one of the projects.  The nice thing about it is you learn something from each project you can use in the others, and in the end you have 3-4 good pieces.  The downside is it takes longer to finish them as you are splitting your focus.

Like I said, probably won't work for everyone, especially people who are very single task oriented. In my mindset I feel I work better when multitasking projects.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    The thing is, I can finish pieces easily, 
    the hard part is how they will be received by everyone as a whole.  
    Right now I have more than five fellows on  stand by because I feel as though the meat-brigade would rush me and say 
    "That's not good enough for anything, it has to look like the current popular hyperreal/disney styling/blizzard stylings and be a high rez scuplture. " 

Normally that wouldn't bother me
    ,  but lately I have been pondering this a bit  too much.

A four day projects can turn into two week projects due to indecision.
    Also taking suggestions from everyone can be  irksome  ; some people think piece should be one way, yet  even more people think it should be the other. If you go one way instead of the other the first group will think you don't listen to anyone. So in the end there is no appeasing everyone. 

Some folks say be an ultra low poly fellow with 512 maps and 4k poly counts
    Some folks say it's an out dated method from 15 years ago
    Others say be a high resolution fellow  100k tris
    Some folks aren't interested in that and only want to see low poly 
    Some folks say be a zscuplt fellow
    Other folks say primarily zscuplting fellow is unproductive
    Some folks will say you should be a hyper real fellow
    Others say they aren't interested in hyper real fellows and only want to see your toons

You can't appease everyone.

My advice is to only listen to a select group of people who  you really trust, or else you will end up not completing anything
    because everyone is pulling you in every direction  imaginable. 
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    valuemeal said:
    The thing is, I can finish pieces easily, 
    the hard part is how they will be received by everyone as a whole.  
    Right now I have more than five fellows on  stand by because I feel as though the meat-brigade would rush me and say 
    "That's not good enough for anything, it has to look like the current popular hyperreal/disney styling/blizzard stylings and be a high rez scuplture. " 

Normally that wouldn't bother me
    ,  but lately I have been pondering this a bit  too much.

A four day projects can turn into two week projects due to indecision.
    Also taking suggestions from everyone can be  irksome  ; some people think piece should be one way, yet  even more people think it should be the other. If you go one way instead of the other the first group will think you don't listen to anyone. So in the end there is no appeasing everyone. 

Some folks say be an ultra low poly fellow with 512 maps and 4k poly counts
    Others say be a high resolution fellow  100k tris
    Some folks will say you should be a hyper real fellow
    Others a woodland fellow. 

My advice is to only listen to a select group of people who  you really trust, or else you will end up not completing anything
    because everyone is pulling you in every direction  imaginable. 

I don’t necessarily agree. I think the best thing to do when working on a project is to get it out to the world and let as many people see it as possible. Everybody will have their own opinions on how the project can be improved or changed but you just have to take each one with a grain of salt and ultimately you should decide want to change or keep based on the critiques that you have received. You never know who you might inspire or what idea you might come up with when sharing it with people.

Awesome post, @Swizzle

• Ariannwyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ariannwyn polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, thank you everyone! It is so good to hear your stories and feedback.
    You all have great things to say, and I agree, fantastic post @Swizzle! :D 

• melli06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melli06 polycounter lvl 2
    Book marked! The knowledge in hear is golden!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    The last 10% of the work takes up way longer than that first 90% >_<"
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    there are 3 awesome books I would recommend to anyone struggling with stuff like this. the first is No Excuses! by Brian Tracy, a great book on self discipline, a key component of getting things finished. His other book Eat that frog is also good for those looking for some great info on avoiding procrastination and getting to work. Finally, The 80/20 principle is another good read, basically sums up what Pyrzern said above, 20% of your efforts tend to deliver the best 80% of your results. killer reads and I highly recommend them to anyone who needs a kick in the pants to take action on a project.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I have problems focusing too which leads to projects piling up. I get through it by working on Multiple things at once. 

I think I'l stop once I reach 10. 
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Yes. 
    When I can do game art at all, I can only spend up to 4 hours before numbing out.  Most of the time I don't get to have these hours.  I've cut off other projects and even fan art.

The license involved doesn't help either (GPLv2+), often limiting potential contributors to programmersthataresittingontheirthumbsinmaililnglistslookingfornewbufferoverflowstosubmitpatchesfor which isn't exactly something an art project would need. 

The project is now in its 10th year of existence and isn't yet complete and is undergoing a reboot because the last incarnation turned out aesthetically awful.  Been solo-ing it for quite awhile. :(
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Da Vinci worked on the Mona Lisa for 15 years, he was a notorious procrastinator and perfectionist.
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    There's a lot of good advice in this thread.
    Feeling relieved after reading all since I know that i'm not the only one. :D