Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yukina, a female japanese samurai.

Really need some feedback on this one. Still a WIP. Sculpted in zbrush, textured with quiixel suite/mudbox and some test render in vray for maya. All C&C welcome and appreciated! 

https://www.artstation.com/artist/charleslee

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think your proportions are fairly off.  You might want to go back to base anatomy and porportions.  The arms feel short and the hands seem very small.  Her pose also feels unnatural.  Cloth on  pants look pretty good.  The chest wrap feels very strange and overtly sexual for no reason.  Just my opinion of course.  Texture could use a lot more work but it seems like a solid start.  Hair looks pretty good so far though!
  • Charles1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I will definitely go back double checking the proportions and fix it. I guess the wraps looks strange cuz it's being too thin. I'm going to try making it look thicker and see how that goes. About the texture, everything does look quite flat but I honestly don't know where to start. Maybe I could age the cloth a bit and add some color variations to the skin. Thanks again, I'll post some new test renders later after I'm done fixing.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I'd suggest trying to find some patterns for the traditional clothing you're going for here. These clothes don't really look convincing. Though they cast a similar silhouette, the structure is weak. At least look up the correct names of the pieces so you can get good refs; there are lots and they're free and publicly available because they're historical costumery. Additionally... Is she western? If so, uh, why? Is there any other reason beyond her being surface-level "sexy" or "cool"?

And on the bandage wraps

It's actually a terrible idea (look up girls and boys who bind with Ace bandages, or any other kind of bandages... broken ribs, passing out... not exactly stuff a samurai should allow for the sake of fashion!), but I get that it looks cool. Note that they're generally tight wrapped; a bit more like a boob-tube than loose-noodle.

The actual work is fine; I just think you need to pay closer attention to the details. That's what sell it.
  • Charles1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! That's actually a very good point. I will find more refs for achieving a convincing look for sure. And for the wraps, I will try making it tighter first but if that still doesn't look right I might just replace it with a big piece of silk cloth something like this:
  • Charles1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update. Tell me what you guys think?

• Charles1234