Home Technical Talk

Hard surface retopo. How you do it?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
yk89031 polycounter lvl 3
Hello there!

I'm interested in how you guys do retopology for your hard surface models. Do you use the same app as for modeling hi-poly? Or do you use topogun / zbrush etc. for your retopo workflow?

As of right now, I'm using Max for my retopo, however I feel it being a little bit more time consuming than it probably should be. It takes me few hours to retopo fairly simple object (violin in this case). Therefore I'm interested in other solutions which would help me achieve the same result sooner.

Thanks!

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    How did you create the mesh? sub-D? Dynamesh?....
  • yk89031
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on a model. Sometimes I use only subd, sometimes I use subd for base mesh and then punch in details with dynamesh.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure what to call what I do but I suppose retopo is a word that works. I primarily use max so making use of the modifier stack goes a long way. Almost every time I make anything hard surface I'll embed my LP inside my HP and use edit poly modifiers to separate them. Depending on what I'm doing I sometime have to collapse the stack but most of the time I don't need to.

Simple example is to add an edit poly modifier before you cut in control loops so its easy to remove/toggle later on.
  • purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    There's so many ways of approaching the entire workflow that it comes down to what the project entails and what workflow you're comfortable with. Personally I enjoy making the low poly, duplicating it then making the high poly with supporting edge loops, and finally retopo the necessary pieces.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    My workflow for Hard Surface game-based HP modeling: might not be the most efficient way possible (though retopo is definitely an area of a 3D artist's pipeline that I think need more tool innovation, alongside UV'ing...), is to start by just modelling a really solid HP.  Where I spend a majority of my time in 3D suite.  Model it without even thinking of your LP, aside from general restrictions and what not, as well as creating edges that will bake well.  If you are thinking of your LP the entire time you are modeling your HP, you will run into areas where you are afraid to push the model to the next level of detail. You get to the point where you are letting LP restrictions get in the way of artistic freedom.

This is why I model HP without worrying about LP restrictions > Delete edgeloops or rebuild sections of LP in insert model suite of choice here > UV.  With most HP models I create, I am able to easy remove many of the control edges by hand, quickly.  Just a lot of clicking... Sometimes I will rebuild sections of the LP around HP with tools like Topogun/3DCoat/Zbrush (point retopo workflow is what comes to mind, not zremesher).  Like @yk89031 said, there are many different ways to approach many different situations, but more times than not, I will retopo by hand in my model suite of choice (Maya).  On average I can get a LP built and starting UV's in a single workday, give or take half a work day to get LP finalized and UV's started/done depending on model complexity of course.  
  • yk89031
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your answers! There were some really good points. I'm starting to think more efficiently about my workflows and what tool to choose to different situations. As there are many ways to do it as you mentioned, I will try to get to know the workflows to be able to determine the best tool / workflow to use. Thanks!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    yk89031 said:
     I will try to get to know the workflows to be able to determine the best tool / workflow to use. 
    Now you're thinking like a bloke who wants to get s@@the done quicker :)