Home Technical Talk

Should I go to Max?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
nikola3d polycounter lvl 4
What are main pros and cons between Maya and 3ds Max?
I heard that a Maya is getting so much more love from AD then max, but also I've seen that most 3D artist (modelers prefer.) are using 3ds max. Why?

I'm intermediate Maya user (who focus on character/creature modeling) but there are some things and tools which I really hate and which are useless.

MODO is very good software but I try to keep away from it coz AD products are industry standards and more likely to get you a job.

Any ideas should I stick to Maya or change my workflow to 3ds max? Is it worth?

Replies

• lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    In the end it does not matter much. If you're comfortable with Maya, stick with it. There's certainly also alot of studios that use Maya, so you shouldn't worry about that. What lands you jobs is the quality of your work, not the tools used. 
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Wether you use max or maya does not matter at all. No art director ever said "This artist is amazing but he uses Maya while we use Max in our workflow, so let's hire this less talented guy!"

Stick with the software you feel the most comfortable with and if you get hired by a studio that uses a different soft you'll just learn it on the spot, like everyone does. It takes something like 2 months to learn a new modeling software.

So don't worry about what software to use and focus on producing great art, that's the only thing that matters :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    As long as you know the "industry standard" software, it doesn't matter what you use on your own. There are plenty of Modo artist that are proficient in either Max or Maya. It can get you employed or can be used at work... and the nice thing about Modo is depending on the location you can just bring the license along with you. No biggie.

I did hear through the grapevine though that the Max dev team has been downsizing, where as the opposite might be true for the Maya's team. Just worth taking into account given Autodesk's business choices as of late.

My perfectly biased advice ;-) would be to go with Modo (has a Maya keymap built in) but hold onto those Maya skills for employment. Thankfully there are enough similarities between the apps that you wont really get too rusty.
  • nikola3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was helpful alot, for now I'll stick to Maya, however if 3ds max is going to finish it like softimage in the future, doesn't worth for me to start learning it now.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    How about just checking it out? Get the Trial and wrap you head around it. If you think it's worth the change. 
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Learn max.

Popol said:
    Wether you use max or maya does not matter at all. No art director ever said "This artist is amazing but he uses Maya while we use Max in our workflow, so let's hire this less talented guy!"

I've worked at a few studios that have rejected modellers without max experience. (Albeit entry level positions).

In a perfect world it shouldn't matter. But in reality if there's 2 similar candidates, they'll go for the one that can hit the ground running.

Keep in mind most studios don't have 2 months to spare. For an industry incapable of managing crunch, relies heavily on outsourcing, is prone to a day 1 patch, budgeting for 2 months for rampup-time isnt a possibility for even the biggest projects (let alone smaller indies).

Learn both. It's really not hard.
  • Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    nikola3d said:

.....there are some things and tools which I really hate and which are useless. (in Maya).

I am curious what are those tools you hate and think are useless?
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I find that it doesn't matter as long as you get the work done. In addition, my xperience is that the your abilities in one program transfer over pretty simply. I've had no problems, moving from Maya>Max>Modo>Maya>Modo. 
    In my opinion its simply a matter of knowing what you want to do, and asking the right questions, (looking for an alternative version of a certain function in your favorite program). 

Hope this helps. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ive been using Max  for years. It has really good reference docs and the support is also good. I recently had to rig a character in Maya and found it difficult, not due to Maya but just because I wasn't used to it. If I look at what artists produce with Maya there is no doubt that it is capable of producing anything that can be made in Max. General hearsay is that max is better for modeling and Maya is better for rigging and animation, but I couldn't really say. I don't think you are going to produce better art in one software or the other.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I've moved from Maya > Modo > Maya and i really can't think of anything you might qualify as "game changer" on any other software.

Most modeling tools have become quite similar in almost every aspect and while a few years ago switching to a tool like Modo would make a huge difference for a Maya user,it is not the case anymore imho.
    If you're looking for industry standard tools,try Max,see if you like it and if not,try Modo.But i would suggest you to stick to Maya and keep improving your workflow instead.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Get the trail and check this course out.
    https://www.udemy.com/learning-3ds-max-after-knowing-maya-modeling/

I wouldn't say you need to know Max as well as you know Maya, but going into an interview with the ability to at least be able to function in Max will probably help you if you apply to an all Max studio.  That way the studio doesn't feel that you have to start from scratch with getting used to Max interface.

• nikola3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U said:
    I am curious what are those tools you hate and think are useless?
    Well, first thing which comes to my mind is Maya's paint weight. I mean, compare it to Blender for example where is literally 10 min job to paint weight whole mesh, while in Maya is so confusing and major of all is that there's not "subtract" option, instead you have to move from bone to bone and drive your self crazy. Maybe it's just me, but I can't rely on that feature.
    Also by my opinion Modo for example have alot better modeling, retopo, uv kit. 
    Never tried 3ds max so I can't comment on that.
  • nikola3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get the trail and check this course out.
    https://www.udemy.com/learning-3ds-max-after-knowing-maya-modeling/

I wouldn't say you need to know Max as well as you know Maya, but going into an interview with the ability to at least be able to function in Max will probably help you if you apply to an all Max studio.  That way the studio doesn't feel that you have to start from scratch with getting used to Max interface.

Tbh that's true. But as I know till know, game industries uses 3ds max much more, while film industry is based all around maya. Why is that?
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    But as I know till know, game industries uses 3ds max much more, while film industry is based all around maya. Why is that?
    AFAIK,Maya has become/is becoming the game industry standard.You can tell by almost every making of of a video game where everybody uses Maya most of the time.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there is still a lot max used in games...
    character animation is more and more maya based cause of the better integration of human ik.... the link to motionbuilder... for modeling it doesnt matter that much which app you use...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vKkHHphGEY

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    If you`re a modeler, learn max. If you are an animator, stick with maya.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool

I've worked at a few studios that have rejected modellers without max experience. (Albeit entry level positions).

My first studio was a Max studio. At the time, I only knew Maya. I brought it up during the interview and mentioned that I would have no problem learning before I started. I did exactly that and there wasn't any problem. 

Once you know one 3d modelling package inside and out it isn't too hard to switch to another. Unless you're rigging / animating / fx / etc, switching to another package just for modelling is pretty quick. I'd focus more on portfolio work and making awesome assets than spending time just learning software.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I've gotten to use Maya at both the studios I've worked at. The first mostly used Max, but they were fine with me using Maya. And the second uses mostly Maya.

Maya's becoming more and more common in this industry. I would say it's getting close to being an even split. No use switching, I'd say, unless you want to.

Maybe watch a video or two on youtube, to learn how max works, so if you do have to learn it for a job, you'll understand it a little beforehand. I would recommend doing that for other software too, in fact. You can never learn enough.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Here's the thing. Every software has it's strengths and weaknesses. you need to do the research to see what can most benefit you in your projects. I suggest trying most of the major 3d apps. I've tried most of them
    so far to varying degrees. (still haven't tried blender for a full project though.) I use 3ds max at work and I'll just say that honestly I feel that these days it's pretty archaic.

Autodesk has decided as far as I can tell that 3ds max will no longer support vfx. It will probably continue to be developed for architectural rendering. But I see so many studios choosing Maya as the base package these days. It won't be long before barely anyone uses it. Don't get me wrong, it has some really great stuff but Maya has caught up almost completely in modeling. The modifier stack is pretty much the only benefit of Modeling in 3ds max now. And with auto desk continuing to dump more development into Maya it won't be long before it leaves max in the dust.

Which is sad really. Would have been nice to see both software packages get the same love. But business wise it doesn't make any sense so I'm not surprised. 
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Here's the thing. Every software has it's strengths and weaknesses. you need to do the research to see what can most benefit you in your projects. I suggest trying most of the major 3d apps. I've tried most of them
    so far to varying degrees. (still haven't tried blender for a full project though.) I use 3ds max at work and I'll just say that honestly I feel that these days it's pretty archaic.

Auto desk has decided as far as I can tell that 3ds max will no longer support vfx. It will probably continue to be developed for architectural rendering. But I see so many studios choosing Maya as the base package these days. It won't be long before barely anyone uses it. Don't get me wrong, it has some really great stuff but Maya has caught up almost completely in modeling. The modifier stack is pretty much the only benefit of Modeling in 3ds max now. And with auto desk continuing to dump more development into Maya it won't be long before it leaves max in the dust.

Which is sad really. Would have been nice to see both software packages get the same love. But business wise it doesn't make any sense so I'm not surprised. 
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    IMO, learn whatever 3D program you like (I use Blender forever), but learn to import your finished models (non-triangulated) to Max and/or Maya, set up scale and materials, then spit out the final low poly model for the game engine. If it's a character, pass the scene file for the rigger and it goes out smoothly.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Tidal Blast said:
     In the latest Modcast, The Foundry talked about one of the new features that is coming next; procedural (non-destructive) tools. Which is why I always called Modo; 3DS Max 2.0 all new and redesigned.

Better said, if we look at things objectively, the industry standard for 3D modeling and game art currently is Modo + Zbrush. Alternatives are 3DS Max, Maya and Blender. If 3DS max was greater, all things considered, I would still be using it. Now, it's a matter of time before those Low Poly vs High poly workflows get merged together as one unified 3D modeling/sculpting workflow.
    Woah there, Modo's upcoming procedural layer stack/workflow is still supposed to be kept hush hush... even if it was mentioned in passing on a modcast we should try to keep the surprise... well... a surprise. =)

That said, calling Modo "3DS Max 2.0" doesnt sound right. It would be more accurate to compare it with Maya or Lightwave (from which you can trace Modo's origin), though adding the procedural stuff  can certainly challenge comparison.

Modo is also, objectively, not the industry standard for 3D modeling and game art. Industry standard implies it is commonly used, the first go to app for game asset creation within the industry. Objectively, it is not that, not even close. We shouldnt confuse wanting it to be the standard with it actually being "the standard". Maya can take that crown.

All that said, in light of trying to keep the conversation on topic... OP: you should have no trouble working with multiple 3d applications once you get the hang of one of them. Knowing Max and Maya is the best for job placement, branching out past that is more for your skills/sanity as an artist.

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Fansub said:
    But as I know till know, game industries uses 3ds max much more, while film industry is based all around maya. Why is that?
    AFAIK,Maya has become/is becoming the game industry standard.You can tell by almost every making of of a video game where everybody uses Maya most of the time.
    People have been saying this for ages, I've been watching people predict the doom of 3DS Max for at least a decade and yet whenever people do surveys the usage comes out similar between apps. I'm sure animation is maya dominated but that doesn't seem to be the case for modeling.

This is one of those things that is oft repeated and never proven.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    They're both worth knowing.
    Maya has been gaining a lot more traction lately due to it seemingly getting the bulk of R&D / improvements instead of Max. but Max still has close to the same amount of overall market share that Maya does.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Here's the thing. Maya is always going to grow because it is the weapon of choice of tinkerers/tech artists/riggers/animators.

Yet Max will still be around because it still has the most flexible modifier stack, making it essential for non-destructive modeling workflows.

But ironically enough ... both are either stagnating or getting worse to an extent. Slow to load, bad response time, it's all kind of getting ridiculous really. That's pretty much a direct consequence of a forced yearly release cycle, which is great for marketing and sales but can only hurt development.

To the OP : 
    AD products are industry standards and more likely to get you a job.

No. The quality of your work is what get you the job - not the software you use or "who you know". These are just widespread misconceptions - these factors can weight of course, but nowhere near as much as the quality of ones body of work. And if a given studio insists on you using a very specific piece of software for a task that you know you can do better/more efficiently using some other tool, you always have the choice to simply not go work there :)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    pior said:
    Here's the thing. Maya is always going to grow because it is the weapon of choice of tinkerers/tech artists/riggers/animators.

Yet Max will still be around because it still has the most flexible modifier stack, making it essential for non-destructive modeling workflows.
    Couldn't agree more (with this and the rest of your post). As someone who prefers Max for modeling work due to the stack, I only really began to understand the appeal of Maya when I started learning Maxscript. What a headache to get into, as opposed to Python which is a generic and widely-used scripting language with zillions of learning resources.