Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rogelio Olguin's Art Booth (Substance)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
rogelio greentooth

Hi everyone,

My name is Rogelio Olguin and as some of you all know I have been part of Polycount for a while it seems like I am coming out of hibernation... working on games tends to do that :)

We just finished Uncharted 4 and it is due to release. Super stocked to see the reactions and yes eventually an art dump will be here.

This is going to be my art corner, I will post anything game art related and maybe a few non game related art stuff like clay sculpts.

Links

The Last of Us Art Dump
Tomb Raider Art Dump
My FB art page
My Portfolio Site
Environment Art Blog
Gnomon Substance Texturing Tutorial

Latest Art

Replies

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    been working on this since last Friday learning substance painter this is my first painter project.  Doing finishing touches in Toolbag.

This is in the substance painter viewer.  Started using substance painter literally 5 days ago it is an awesome painting tool!

Clay render in maya.

• xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Rogelio, your work always hits me in the inspiration, can't wait to see more!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Thanks XCHRIS :)

Just could not wait to put into toolbag :)

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Your work on both TLoU and TR are breathtakingly awesome, and I'm so stoked for Uncharted 4 and your art dump for it.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask from you, but I have one question. My focus is to become a character artist, and I have an indie licence for Substance Designer 4 through Steam (not having SD5, because I bought it in the wrong time and didn't get a free update). I haven't really touched the software since the December 2014, which is ridiculously long ago. But now I have a new character project going on, and I'm about to include SD4 to my workflow/pipeline. For the base texture work, I'm using ZBrush's polypaint and xNormal for baking maps such as normal, AO and curvature. So, is SD4 procedurally capable enough to create the final textures for my future characters, from my base maps (and custom masks made in either GIMP or PS if needed)? Currently I can't afford to get SD5 or even Painter.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Hi Fourtynights,
    for the free update thing it might be a good idea to contact the substance team and see what could be done maybe the timing was not completely wrong or if the timing was close who knows just maybe I would give it a try etc.

But to answer your question, I think you could do most of the work in SD4 especially the way you described the workflow of using polypaint and bringing all the bake data into SD4 for the final polish. With that said  for characters I would recommend painter it just feels much more useful for characters and or complex props... so if later you are able to I would go painter first rather than SD5 especially since you already have SD4. 

And yeah if anyone has questions substance related or workflow related I can do my best to answer here also I am totally open to that.  I am here to share :)
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Finished the Shaman creature :)  Texturing done in Substance Painter and Modeling Maya / Zbrush surface/materials in Toolbag.

• 3DKyle
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Looks great Rogelio! 
    You ever think of trying to add some Sub-Surface scattering to the face and more in the ears?

Can't wait to see more in the future.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Man i would really like to see how you made the Tileable Textures in Substance Designer for The Last Of Us. Looks very nice. Are you planing to make a Video Tutorial? I would pay for it ;)
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    Gazu said:
    Man i would really like to see how you made the Tileable Textures in Substance Designer for The Last Of Us. Looks very nice. Are you planing to make a Video Tutorial? I would pay for it ;)
    There is a Gnomon Workshop tutorial he put together for a cobblestone material in SD5.  I went through it, on chapter seven at the moment.  I might post my results here.  It is RO's thread though.  Ha ha!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    3DKyle:  Thanks! :) I did add some SSS kept it pretty low though  I kept going back and forth from less or more and at the end balance of the shot was more important did not want the ears taking too much away from the scene. 

Gazu:  Yep I have the one I did for Gnomon, but I also have a few free ones linked here. https://vimeo.com/user474658   go to the environment blog it also has several others one by other artists who have a good workflow understanding.

Acealmighty13:  Sure go ahead and post here if you like :)
  • CodeferBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeferBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work. What's interesting to me is that you've started to learn Substance Painter not so long ago, yet here you are harnessing it's capabilities to create breath taking 3D art. Where as, in my case, I'm confused as f*** in Substance Painter... :/
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rogelio, Here's where I'm at thus far.  After six chapters, I'm quite happy with how well it turned out.  I'm still trying to get the stones to not stick together but at the same time it kind of works.  My only gripe about the material are my pebbles.  For some reason, I can't seem to get the height information fine tuned to raise them up.  Instead, in a couple of spots, they appear like little grey-ish spots.  I've tried messing with the Levels Nodes on the end Blend node for the height information.  Everything else has come together pretty smoothly.  It may be that I'm just looking at things to closely.  I've provided a material render and my height map.

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Looks great!  Yeah I would try to shift the tiles a bit apart so they do not start to merge together. As for the stones you need to keep tweaking the levels node to shift the values a bit higher.  One thing I might of not gone over the tutorial is maybe try to shift the cracks so the cracks do not go over into another stone making it look odd that the crack continued over if you get what I am saying.  Try putting it in vray or toolbag to get some shadowing. 
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing with the stones for now.  The pebbles are getting on my nerves.  Ha ha!  With how close some of the stones are together, I can see what you mean about the cracks.  If tweaking the levels nodes doesn't help the pebbles, any suggestions on fixes?  I've thought about altering the mask to have fewer pebbles show up, hoping the particulars I'm talking about disappear. 

I got distracted with this post and found out that what I thought was the stone pattern causing the melding of stones when it was the cells pattern I was using and the settings I had for it before inverting it.  I think, fixing it, fixed most of my problems.  Gotta love happy accidents.  Unfortunately, I've used up my 30 day trial period for Toolbag and saving up for a new PC, so SD and SP will run smoother, mine is four years old.  Anyway, below is an updated render.

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Looks good.  For the stones I think the issue is also that color mask seems to be in the wrong spot. like the color for the stone is not masking according to the where the stones are so some looks flat or just gray spots.  Overall I dig this! I think at this point you might want to consider cleaning up some the edges of the stone cobble some of it feels a little too wobbly or beat up... try defining that a tad it might be pulling back from the slope or warp settings a little bit.  But honestly at this point it would be more awesome to see what you can do with what you learned and do some other textures.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Heyo. Just wanted to pop in and thank you for making the substance designer tutorials as they have helped me out a ton. I sat in on your talk at GDC and it was great to see how you guys have adopted substance into your workflow. I'll be eagerly awaiting the Uncharted 4 art dump
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio said:
    Looks good.  For the stones I think the issue is also that color mask seems to be in the wrong spot. like the color for the stone is not masking according to the where the stones are so some looks flat or just gray spots.  Overall I dig this! I think at this point you might want to consider cleaning up some the edges of the stone cobble some of it feels a little too wobbly or beat up... try defining that a tad it might be pulling back from the slope or warp settings a little bit.  But honestly at this point it would be more awesome to see what you can do with what you learned and do some other textures.
    That was the plan.  There are other textures I have now that could use improvement with what your video series has shown me.  There's another stone texture I have that could use a few more nodes to improve on the overall look.  Being away from this cobblestone, I see what you mean on being too beat up.  The other thing I like about SD tutorials is that the results from tutorials never turn out the same way as shown in your videos, or another. 

I'll tweak the settings when I get home tonight from work and see what results pop up.  And finish off the series with the Roughness pass.  There's a game demo I'm trying to put together with some others, there's a brick material I have, I'll have to do a before and after render to see how much things change with the new info I've picked up.
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    Heyo. Just wanted to pop in and thank you for making the substance designer tutorials as they have helped me out a ton. I sat in on your talk at GDC and it was great to see how you guys have adopted substance into your workflow. I'll be eagerly awaiting the Uncharted 4 art dump
    I made it to his talk at the SD booth.  I SO wanted to see the graph on ND's Stone Carver Node.  Ha ha!
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rogelio After some tweaking, replacing one noise with another, overall it's complete.  I backed off on the crumbly rock, finished off the roughness pass and found out the color was too white on the base and toned it down and it appears more natural than before.

• Cordero
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    shaman looks dope! love that bird on the top of the head :D 
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Finished this clay sculpture here is the link to more shots here at ArtStation

• 3DKyle
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    This is awesome, I've always wanted to try clay sculpting. 
  • _Archimedes_
    I just finished a tutorial you made on substance designer for Gnomon. It was worth ever penny! Thanks for the help! I hope to continue seeing your stuff on here. Will you be making any more tutorials by chance?
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rogelio A material I have just about finished.  Using what I picked up from your videos I was able to put this marble tile material together.  The dirt spread is a work in progress.  I have a Histogram Range node attached accordingly to alter the amount visible.

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Awesome Acealmight13 :) 
    Thanks _Archimedes_ that means a lot :)
    Sorry for the late reply been out of it but well starting a new series kind of abstract texturing. 

Doing a series named "Beautiful Algorithms"  This series is about a celebration of procedural beauty. I am spending at most 2 hrs 1 per day for as long as I care and have fun doing these :)

Series #1 Crystallize

Series #2 Hades

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    these are really fun and stylish, keen to see what you do next
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Thanks Ged :) 
    Beautiful Algorithms Series #4 Mercury

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Beautiful Algorithms Series #5 Polarization

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Beautiful Algorithms Series #6 Flesh

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Beautiful Algorithms Series #7 Symmetry

httpsscontent-lax3-1xxfbcdnnett310-814701010_10205701575258546_4403610790142206400_ojpg

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Beautiful Algorithms Series #8 Porous

• Nicorepe
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicorepe polycounter lvl 4
    Its always amazing to see your work rogelio, really inspiring!
  • rogelio
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Beautiful Algorithms Series #9 Dark Matter

• rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Study : Lime Stone Cave Stalagmite