Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Clementine (The Walking Dead fan art)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
FourtyNights polycounter
UPDATE 4.5.2016: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aL5OX

UPDATE 2.4.2016:

Alright, time to start a thread for my current character project, Clementine, from Telltale Games' "The Walking Dead" game series. She is going to be after the events of season two, a little bit older. Around 14-years-old.

I'm aiming for stylized style, but not a comic style with outlines, like the original. The final look isn't going to be the exactly like her, but very identifiable though.

For the outfit I'm still following the original Season Two outfit, created by Steve Moore:

Mod_Clementine200_Agif

Mod_Clementine200_Bgif

I've been thinking of creating her with the full hair and rolled up sleeves AND with the iconic hat. So, two versions; with and without the hat, just by deleting some polygons from the hair under the hat in the final low poly.

Here is the current anatomy process. Just trying to nail the basic anatomy down before proceeding to clothing, hair and other stuff. Extra objects will be a hammer as a weapon for her, and her backpack. But that's after the character is done first.

Still, I'm always sceptical with my anatomy, even though in this kind of project it doesn't need to be so detailed, for the sake of the end result. Because she's underaged and going have clothes after all. But anatomy, yeah... important nonetheless.

All kinds of critiques and comment are welcome, because I'm still tweaking the anatomy a lot, because I feel I'm far away from the satified level with this.

ftPjP47jpg

lqVJc9Qjpg

m88GuzGjpg

mUCRdcLjpg

fC3gTnCjpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Her anatomy doesn't read as a child. What you have is sorta a stylized super skinny adult id say. If she is a child, she should be pretty much flat chested and be slightly chubby looking all over. Thick looking joints and subtle curves.
    I agree that anatomy is important, but its actually a touchy subject (due to the age) which I haven't thought about. I mean, you probably shouldn't be looking up reference on the internet, you'll wind up like that subway guy. lol.

It might be difficult to get crits here, but anyway I think it is a cool character to tackle based on the concept art.
  • e_turn95
    Offline / Send Message
    e_turn95 polycounter lvl 7
    Currently that is way too skinny and curvy to be a child. Unless you're making a significantly older Clementine she should be much more flat and . Both genders don't really look much different as kids, so you should be aiming to make someone that without the hair and facial features could pass as either a boy or girl.

Just look at the original concept art that you have as your reference and cover up the head with your hand, and you can't tell whether it is a boy or girl at all from body shape. That should be what you're aiming for.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Yeah, I agree that her anatomy isn't in child proportions, mainly because adult anatomy references, of course... and the reason for her being skinny in my vision, is that she's starving in the post apocalyptic zombie world. As a sidenote, I got the ending where she's alone in Seaon 2, so I got my thoughts and inspirations from there. AND... when she'll get clothing on top of that body, she shouldn't look THAT skinny anymore, heh. ;)

Anyway, now that I've finished her basic overall anatomy, I finally moved on to the hair sculpting... which is so friggin' hard.

I find it amusing that some beginners here in Polycount are a lot better with making the hair than anatomy in the first place...

My problem is that I'm trying to find the right flow for it. The original hair is kinda messy, but still looking convincingly good. Trying to find how the hair is starting from the front, going behind the ear, and where the pulling starts for the tied up stumps on the back, and so on...

I've started from this dynamesh base a couple of times, but it always gets logically wrong. So, the natural and logical flow for hair strands would be the key for this. Kind of stuck for now. Those "sideburns" are also hard, because it's not actually the hair from the hairline, and it should be more like under the longer strands from the hairline...? So confusing... :D

TB9ybL4.jpg
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I had to study hair and clothing a lot. Couldn't find a proper workflow, until now... kinda.

* Dozens of MD simulations for clothing -> failure

* Sculpting clothes by hand in ZBrush (the classic way...) -> seems like it's going to be success
    (But I still need to study wrinkles and folds a bit more, so maybe I'll copy straight from a good reference)

* Sculpting or using cards for hair -> failure, it was painfully hard for me

* Creating hair using bezier curves in Blender and converting it to dynamesh in ZBrush -> a decent success... but LAZY, because hat is covering the rest of it. :P

...and here's the result.

c0huqGS.jpg
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I'm such a slowpoke with this project, but I managed to finish the sculpt of Clem's jeans recently. I might add some smaller wrinkles around the seam lines, because the overall look for jeans is a bit too smooth, apart from very foldy areas such as knees and ankles at the moment. Backpockets may be a tad too small, so maybe I'll redo them as well. I also got the high poly of her sneakers done. Here are some ZBrush renders.

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Decided to go with a little bit different version than the original. So, here's the final polypainted high poly. The hat is a bit too saturated, so I'll desaturate it in PS later. Now it's time for retopology, UVs and baking then. (;

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Alright, she's pretty much done. Maybe I'll add some actual roughness maps, even though using the values from sliders is okay for this kind of stylized work.

Check her out from here, from the Marmoset Viewer:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aL5OX

But now, time to work on my next character project, which will be realistic and I finally add Substance Designer for my workflow.

• skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should work on the anatomy before moving to something else there is still of room for improvement. Her eyes need work along with facial definition 
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I think you should work on the anatomy before moving to something else there is still of room for improvement. Her eyes need work along with facial definition 
    Yeah, I'm aware that she's not anatomically correct from her face, but going back to change something in the sculpt from this stage causes a LOT of work for the reprojection of low poly's retopo, changing UV's, rebaking, readjusting textures and whatnot, so not really improving it that much. I would've done this on the sculpt process, but there wasn't enough feedback to fix things back then.

Anyway, next character will be many times better. (;
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I agree, Dustin, and those are great tips from a pro like you. I wish I had known these things before I even started.

I could say that my weaknesses are:

- I can't draw
    - I'm very bad at design (pretty much always needing a complete concept art or tons of references from many angles as possible)
    - Still quite inexperienced with PBR texturing and texturing in general
    - I'm quite slow too

Anatomy is something I'm comfortable with, but still a lot to learn as you guys notified me with those crits.

My strengths are:

- Anatomy in general
    - Modeling, retopo and animation friendly topology
    - UVs and baking
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Her upper arms are super long. Just shortening them a bit so that her elbows rest against the side of her belly would make a pretty big difference to what is otherwise a quite well executed model.

Likewise, I think darkening and perhaps expanding the outer ring of the iris would also help alleviate that slightly alien appearance you've got now.

Should be pretty quick tweaks that might be worth considering before finally putting this model to bed.