Home Unreal Engine

[UE4] Shadows on grass

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
So, I am trying to find out why the shadows are not baking on my grass. Here is a picture of the tree's set to create dynamic shadows (BEFORE baked lighting)

After I bake the lighting this is the result:

And here are my settings for the Tree mesh in the landscape foliage tool:

Replies

• stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Hum, we can see your ligthing setup ?
    For an exterior lighting, used a dynamic setup are the best way. You can read this page.

PS : Great modeling !
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i have the basic generic Dynamic light source:

And then i added a sky Light to add some more depth to the colors

From there, the only other thing I have is Atmospheric fog

I am doing my grass in a method i found online. I am not using the foliage option in the modes. However, I am using the "Landscape Grass Type" option and then trying that into a material so it only spawns on the grass for my landscape material. If you want I can show you that material stuff. The odd thing is the clouds (which are particle meshes) cause shadows so it seems dynamic shadows are working, just baked shadows are not.

Also, thanks for the comments on the models. Got a bit of work to be done still, but happy with the results so far.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, just enabled distance field, and same stuff... hm....
    EDIT: Upon further investigation, I found that using the foliage tool, the shadows work. It seems that the "landscape grass type" is what is causing the shadows issue. So now to find out what would fix that. Here is a link to the picture with the Foliage tool

• riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BAH!! found this after i typed in the issue in google:

"I also noticed you added the Landscape Grass Type to the tags of this post, and just for your own information if you plan on using this foliage feature, it currently does not support Static (Baked) Lighting. We are working now to have this feature implemented at some point for an upcoming release.

This means, if you want to have accurate lighting and shadows for your foliage landscape grass type assets, you will want to set your Directional light to Stationary (Supports Static and Dynamic Shadows), or Movable (Fully Dynamic)."

So this means it is currently jacked with baked lighting.

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    riuthamus said:
    BAH!! found this after i typed in the issue in google:

"I also noticed you added the Landscape Grass Type to the tags of this post, and just for your own information if you plan on using this foliage feature, it currently does not support Static (Baked) Lighting. We are working now to have this feature implemented at some point for an upcoming release.

This means, if you want to have accurate lighting and shadows for your foliage landscape grass type assets, you will want to set your Directional light to Stationary (Supports Static and Dynamic Shadows), or Movable (Fully Dynamic)."

So this means it is currently jacked with baked lighting.

But that says that stationary light supports the shadows? Your directional light isn't stationary?