Home Technical Talk

Is 3D Coat 4.5 (with PBR stuff) any good?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
yaschan polycounter lvl 7
Is anyone using new version of 3D Coat? I am using the older version for UV mapping and stuff. The new PBR stuff looks promising. I wonder if it's worth to upgrade? It's 100 bucks for 3 owners.

I have heard rumours that the new 3D Coat support TMikk Space tangent basis so it should fit to my xNormal workflow / Unreal Engine 4. Is this true? Their online documentation doesn't mention.

Also, I wonder if its possible to get a proper calibrated Albedo maps for example using the Smart Materials?

Am I better off investing into Substance Painter?

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Some how I ended up with Mari, 3D Coat and Substance Painter... out of all them, 3D Coat is my favorite when it comes to painting.

Its worth it. You can try it in trial mode btw, meaning just download this:
    http://3d-coat.com/download/ or directly via http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076

As for the normal maps, yes it has Mikktspace. You can set it as a standard under preferences. =)
    2015-09-11%2016_44_31-Mail_zpsyzrcjnvn.jpg

What you get with 3D Coat vs what it cost is pretty much a steal, worth the upgrade.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also own all three of those, and prefer 3dcoat.

For me, it's partially that I do a lot of handpainted stuff, which Substance Painter doesn't really do, but even for PBR I really, really like 3DCoat.

Mari isn't aimed at game art at all (Although has a lot of things going for it), but that may change.

You'll miss out on the non-destructive nature of SP, but 3DCoat just feels like it's good at what it's designed for: painting stuff. And the tools feel like they're limitless. I can use splines to make complex shapes, I can paint on only the edges, I can flatten depth, I can smudge and pinch normals, I can easily copy and paste, rebake things to a new uv-set (which you can also make inside of 3dc) hassle-free, there's a one-click export to Photoshop...

I can see myself using 3DC and SP together though, since Substance Designer is already an essential part of my baking workflow (and I add base materials in there as well)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    SP lacks a proper PSD export feature, and although I believe you can export the individual layers/masks and build a PSD manually from them, that's guaranteed to be a pita. If your ok with that, then give it a shot, but otherwise I wouldn't bother for now.
  • Skumtron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skumtron vertex
    Dataday wrote: »
    Some how I ended up with Mari, 3D Coat and Substance Painter... out of all them, 3D Coat is my favorite when it comes to painting.
    For sure. I've done texture painting in ZBrush, Mudbox, Substance Painter and even the new Photoshop 3D workspace and prefer 3D Coat by a mile. Very powerful for both hand painted and PBR textures, and easy to use. It's a joy.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since the post is still here, I'll point out that ^that^ (bestellen) is a spammer. What he says is always vaguely related to the topic at hand, but weird in some way, and his profile links to 'www. stromectolkaufen .de', which is a website selling pills.
    His name even means 'ordering'.

I've reported it, but given that he has 24 posts already and hasn't been caught, maybe more people should.
  • janpec1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janpec1000 polycounter lvl 7
    It isnt just good, it is by far best PBR painting software if you ask me and i tried pretty much all of them. Is it worth upgrading just to have PBR painting features? YES. I love UV/retopo tools of 3d coat, i think software was worth buying before just for that, but upgrading only for PBR is defenetly worth it.
    Advantage of 3d coat PBR to Substance is performance, its much more stable, materials are loaded instantly while in substance large lybrari can be pain to load each time, it has very robust layering setup-straightforward. I needed several long tutorials to get grip on Substance, while i needed nearly 0 with 3d coat, just jumped in and that was almost it.
    As for its TS normal maps i have been exporting them into UE4 without any problems, seem to display fine.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    if only they could implement layer masks in a human fashion....
  • myclay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    Are there some recommendable PBR related tutorials available for 3DCoat?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    myclay wrote: »
    Are there some recommendable PBR related tutorials available for 3DCoat?

Well the general PBR theory applies to 3D Coat just as much as it applies to say something like Substance Designer.

It really just comes down to understanding how to use 3D Coat and how to texture in general with it.

That said, there's still the question on how to actually create new PBR materials with 3D Coat's Smart Material system... and thats something I think they need to both go into greater detail with and also how do some quick streamlined material creation.

Anyways, this is the best first step:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WifiPC6asz0[/ame]

Also be sure to check out their official YouTube page for a big list of videos going over the application.
  • myclay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    Dataday
    thank you, will look into it.
    I hoped there where additionally some tutorials available in which you were seeing on how to set up a metal and wood brushset etc. ;)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount wrote: »
    if only they could implement layer masks in a human fashion....

Don't worry. They think the current way is okay, but I'll keep reminding them it's not :D
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You and me both. :)
  • pho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pho polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe it's a little bit off-topic question, but I wonder is there anyway to paint straight lines from one point to another? I mean like in photoshop:
    You clicking in one place, move your cursor to another, press and hold shift, click - hooray, straight line. This is something I really need in 3d-coat.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pho said:
    Maybe it's a little bit off-topic question, but I wonder is there anyway to paint straight lines from one point to another? I mean like in photoshop:
    You clicking in one place, move your cursor to another, press and hold shift, click - hooray, straight line. This is something I really need in 3d-coat.
    if you hover your mouse over the very top of the tool bar (it should show a paint brush stroke) you will see all the options for ways to use the brush. This includes straight lines, shapes, etc.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you click+hold, then press and hold shift it'll draw in 45 degree angles.
    Alternatively, you turn on the "2D Grid" and "Snap To 2D Grid", then rotate it as needed with the top right corner options.