Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - general (noob) questions

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
I just discovered this software and decided to give the trial version a try. Right off the bat it seems I'm doing something wrong.

I tried using a sample project that came with the software and i wanted to test material painting, and this is what i got:
pgC8vdx.jpg

Whats the reason for artifacts coming up like this and how do I avoid them?

When I tried uploading a simple obj and painting on that, I got this:
yim7wwg.jpg

This model had overlapping UV's to save space, does Substance Painter not support overlapping uv's for game assets? Also, is there a setting for backface culling?

Replies

• Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Those looks like bugs to me.

What is your hardware and software configuration (GPU, Operating system, and so on) ?
    Are the drivers for your GPU up to date ?

For your mesh with overlapping UVs, Painter can't paint outside the 0-1 are of the UV coordinates.

The backface culling setting is available in the settings of the brush (tool window) in the advanced mode.
  • WindchILL
    Offline / Send Message
    WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
    Froyok wrote: »
    Those looks like bugs to me.

What is your hardware and software configuration (GPU, Operating system, and so on) ?
    Are the drivers for your GPU up to date ?

For your mesh with overlapping UVs, Painter can't paint outside the 0-1 are of the UV coordinates.

The backface culling setting is available in the settings of the brush (tool window) in the advanced mode.

krlIPRE.jpg

wdtRyYK.jpg
    not much of a computer person techincal-wise, is this not powerful enough?
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Thousand polycounter lvl 9
    Is Substance Painter 2 still unable to paint UVs, that are outside 0/1 UV space (i.e. UVs that are taking advantage of vertical tiling etc.)?

• Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Thousand Yes it is still a limitation.
    WindchILL Your graphic card is an integrated chip, and not one of the most high end kind, so it is likely you will encounter issues with Substance Painter. However, your driver seems to be 2 years old, try to see if Intel has a more recent one on their website.