Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• skankerzero
    Wrote an ascii ray-marcher

That gives me so many ideas!
  • tsabszy
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    Titus said:
    Hi, i have done with this:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/thememax , i made it coz i like to tweak themes alot. And some time when you jump from one max to another it's a pain to use standard UI customization windows.  
    wow! thx mate! been waiting for something like that for ages now! 
    much appreciated
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Wrote an ascii ray-marcher

So nice!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    been working on fixing some of the UI issues I have had with 3ds max for years now. 

One being the material windows and the length of the names displayed and having to hover over things to get the full name of long materials and the other was the render to texture windows and having to constantly scroll horizontal.

I redid a lot of ui stuff in maya despite being a max guy but it is time to fix this nonsense.

Seems autodesk doesn't make it easy to modify these things but i did find a lot of the scripts and stuff hidden in the install directory so i've been breaking things off and trying to expand on them.

Will post up when i have more to show but if anyone has any suggestions or feedback/things they would like let me know.
  • Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    Just finished my first script. Just a little export script for speeding up teadious tasks. Super proud of it as it's my first!  B)
    http://www.jacrossiter.com/scripting/2015/12/29/jexport

"Export with only a click! When executed this script will open the JExport UI. From there you can do a simple 1 click of either an OBJ or an FBX. 

When you click OBJ/FBX the script will export your selection within a folder named "Exports" located in the same Folder as your current .max file.

There is an option for export prompt. This is required to be checked if you would like to adjust your default export settings. There is another option to enable Zero the World Position on export (and move it back to it's original position after export completes). To enable this click the Zero checkbox. 

Features

+ OBJ Export
    + FBX Export
    + Optional Prompt
    + Optional Zero Transformation on export
    (and move back after export completes)
    + Automatically Named Exports
    + Open Export Folder Button
    + Error Handling
    + User Interface

+ Link to Script Page"

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Did a big update to my 3D-Coat applink, which now lets users create their own material presets (applies material and hooks up all relevant maps to it on import). Been posting the updates over here: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6692&page=6#entry130444

@Jakro Congrats! Is Maxscript your first coding/scripting language in general?
  • purehilarity
    Offline / Send Message
    purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
    Lorex said:
    Hullo,
     scripted an alternative to GoZ for maya.
     I'm thinking about releasing it and doing a Twitch stream to explain how to install and use. i'll record the stream for whoever missed it.

Anyone interested in beta testing it ? and what time would be the best to stream ? ( I'm in europe )
    looks awesome! I'll try it out!
  • purehilarity
    Offline / Send Message
    purehilarity polycounter lvl 6
    If anyone wants to develop something similar to the Cinema 4D cloner / mograph for Photoshop layers, I'd pay my left leg
  • rmercier
    Offline / Send Message
    rmercier polycounter lvl 4
    If anyone wants to develop something similar to the Cinema 4D cloner / mograph for Photoshop layers, I'd pay my left leg
    Did you consider importing your Photoshop file in After Effects and using the expressions and shape layers operations there? I wonder how you could get the same realtime feedback when tweaking values of cloners and deformers as in C4D, everything is dialog boxes in Photoshop, even the transform you have to commit or cancel.
  • Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    @PolyHertz
    Thanks! Yes it was my first time, it  was a fun experience and I'm sure not my last!
  • Tino
    Offline / Send Message
    Tino polycounter lvl 4
    Hi!

I'm a long time polycount lurker and never really contributed but this thread triggered me to share something with you who care. It's a little script that automates baking of lightmaps in Unity 5. Super useful if you need to bake several scenes overnight and don't want to lose sleep over it. :)

I've made the script available on our company blog with instructions on how to add it to your project if you're interested.

http://sassybot.com/blog/light-baking-automation-in-unity-5/

I hope it helps. :)
  • c.buliarca
    Offline / Send Message
    c.buliarca polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe this script is closer... I never updated it because there where no interest in it... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLNMlKIBrE
  • Benjam
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    An all inclusive Maya bootstrap for Windows users:

Hello all, I haven't posted on here since I made the move to Tech Art a few years back. Thought I would jump back in and post a piece that I documented a short while ago.

It is an all inclusive Maya bootstrap for Windows Users, the documentation will cover how we can set up a local Maya session by using a batch file. This eliminates needing to jump into the registry to set pathing varibles and gives us much more control within our session.

We will be setting a dynamic environment for our Maya setup to live in.
    Setting environment variables like the PYTHONPATH, we can tell Maya explicitly which scripts we want it to have access to.
    Easily customise the look of Maya for each individual project.
    Any pathing can be taken care of for us and is relative to the users machine.

The link below leads to my portfolio where the link to the documentation and resources folder can be found :)

I hope you guys find it useful.

-- Ben

http://benhearndesigns.webs.com/scripting-programming
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool

Recreated Seneca Menard's Quick Pipe in Maya for work :)

It's actually three scripts : the first one creates the pipe,second one allows in-viewport attribute editing to change the thickness,divisions and caps toggle.The third one cleans everything left behind the operation.

http://i.imgur.com/VCWHqUD.gif

• walter
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Great FANSUB !
    It really miss to Maya.
    I usually switch to 3dsMax for modeling pipes, the tools are more efficient.
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Fansub said:

It's actually three scripts : the first one creates the pipe,second one allows in-viewport attribute editing to change the thickness,divisions and caps toggle.The third one cleans everything left behind the operation.

Nice! I attempted to do the same a few pages back, but your implementation seems to be a lot better than mine. How did you do it by the way? I converted the edge selection to a linear curve, then did an animated sweep of a nurbs circle along it, and then lofted the circles. In particular I'm curious how you made the attributes adjustable in the viewport? I couldn't work out how to do it.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I've been working on getting controller input functioning in Maya... because I feel like... I'm getting some sleep now that it's 4am... but, upto this point I've managed to implement a functioning loop that will process Raw Controller Axis Input from a 16 bit Signed Int (-32768 to 32767) and remap those values to floating point between -1 and 1. After I sleep, and wake up later today, it'll be time to implement movement and then collision and shooting... 
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Thanks Walter and Fingus !

Fingus :

In particular I'm curious how you made the attributes adjustable in the viewport? I couldn't work out how to do it.

The dragAttrContext is your answer :) can't say more for now since the tool is not my property (Freelance work) :(

I would have loved to share the script right now but it was done for work and I'm only allowed to show images of gifs,not the code.I'm currently working on a more efficient one so i might end up publishing something even better than this i hope :)

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I've managed to make Maya move the object when I give it controller input... I need to work on making it less... floaty. The viewport is a little bit behind the input sometimes. Though, at least I fixed the problem where it would create an endless loop of creating new control interfaces and crash. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pncy9uKR5VA
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    And... I've managed to make it perform better and move smoother. Implementing Delta Time based movement was Extremely Important. Tomorrow, I will start tackling "enemies", collision, restricting movement to the "play space" and more. I guess then I'll need to add shooting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGaNc2MJJ8I
  • GeorgeNasiotis
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeNasiotis polycounter lvl 2
    i am not sure about if this the correct topic to post this but here it is:
    photogrammetry project one of my warhammer 40k miniatures. 

model

after some sculpt and retopo i hope to be able to animate it
  • Flynny
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9

model

That looks amazing and fun George! If you plan on releasing I'd love to rig animate that!
  • Flynny
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    I've been working pretty hard on a super minimal and more powerful fbx exporter for Maya, its essentially a gui for the export as fbx option, learning a few new tricks on this project..

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    FLYNNY that tool looks really interesting !
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Working Python Game Script with Xbox Controller.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoACuRUr8Ug
  • GeorgeNasiotis
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeNasiotis polycounter lvl 2
    Flynny said:

model

That looks amazing and fun George! If you plan on releasing I'd love to rig animate that!
    Thanks Flynny i have a project in mind to make some minature fighting, my stronger skills actually is rigging and animation but i will have you in mind because i want to do some camera traking and stuff like that so if it is a lot to do i will ask :)
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Been working on my Maya PyCharm integration plugin again now it is fully integrated with the PyCharm Remote debugger allowing Maya to be debugged in 1 click as well as making its old features operator more like how they would if native to PyCharm.

MayaCharm

# MayaCharm
    Maya integration with run and debug configurations for Maya. MayaCharm lets you execute the current document or
    arbitrary code as if it was in Maya from PyCharm. For users of the professional version of PyCharm it will also setup
    and connect the pydev debugger to Maya as well.

## Installation
    It requires some minimal setup. The settings panel is in “Settings > Other Settings > MayaCharm” just define your port number
    or leave the default and be sure to copy and paste the code it generates into Maya’s userSetup.py

## Usage
    If using Community Edition just setup the MayaCharm Runner run Configuration than it will work just like a normal python run configuration.
    If using Professional  Edition you can use the MayaCharm debugger instead which can be used as a runner or debugger.
    There is also a Execute Selection and a Execute Document actions in the run menu, that can also be accessed via alt+s and alt+a

• zweek
    Offline / Send Message
    zweek polycounter lvl 17
    Fansub said:

Any updates on this? I would be glad to test it for you!

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool

I just put a video update :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcHWQA2U-4U

There's still a lot of work to do on this thing but things are getting together slowly but surely.

Thanks to Disting for encouraging me to keep working on it !

If you're interested in Beta-testing it send me a PM :) will take a few people to help me build this tool.
  • skankerzero
    That's looking very slick!
  • RyanB
    Fansub said:

I just put a video update :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcHWQA2U-4U

There's still a lot of work to do on this thing but things are getting together slowly but surely.

Thanks to Disting for encouraging me to keep working on it !

If you're interested in Beta-testing it send me a PM :) will take a few people to help me build this tool.
    Looks cool, nice start.

Every cable and conduit has a minimum bend radius based on codes.  If you add those rules into your script, it will make the cable/conduit follow a more realistic path. 

The BX cable you are modelling would crack open on the tight bends and expose the conductors.

• Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Every cable and conduit has a minimum bend radius based on codes.  If you add those rules into your script, it will make the cable/conduit follow a more realistic path.

If your source edges/curves have the correct bend amount on every change of direction then the script will take those values,but changing those values to get a realistic pipe bend amount would cause a lot of unwanted effects,no ?

• RyanB
    Fansub said:

If your source edges/curves have the correct bend amount on every change of direction then the script will take those values,but changing those values to get a realistic pipe bend amount would cause a lot of unwanted effects,no ?

Depends on how much space is available around the model.  Something modellers should consider if they are shooting for realism.  If you placed the starting spline with consideration of minimum bend radius it would be enough to get rid of the super tight bends.
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    I haven't posted about this in here yet, not sure how many have seen the Photoshop script set I've been working on but I just added a brand new feature to it today!
    http://polycount.com/discussion/165265/photoshop-script-layer-cake-multiple-layer-offsetting/p1

In Short, Layer Cake, is (currently) 4 scripts that help with tileable texture creation by doing the tedious work for the artist
    Like Offsetting multiple layers at once (select, hit Layer Cake select your offset amount and done)
    Letting the artist hit one button to quickly see what the tileable looks like in 2x the size (multiple hits of Icing will keep doubling the size each time)
    and the new one, 
    Spectacles which will let artists get a more tileable blur or sharpened tile from their document. (this is the new feature that was requested here on PC)

I'd love more people to test it and give me some feed back cause I think it's bound to be helpful for artists :hushed: 
  • swann
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    Preview of a plugin I'm working on.

https://vimeo.com/156542849
    password: vhacd

It's a preview video, that's why it's not fully public yet. If you would like to see something more, write it down and I will take in into account when I will be creating final version of video.

• skankerzero
    @TooLzor 
    Layer Cake looks awesome! I'm going to share that with my environment artists.

@nodeway
    The VHACD plugin looks amazing too. One suggestion is to raise the volume of your voice a little bit. You were difficult to hear with my headphones here at work.
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Moar Quick Pipe stuff :D Started implementing the multi pipe system which works really great so far !

The tool is currently being beta-tested and many users have reported some name clashing bugs,but with the next update these bugs should all be in the trashcan.We're currently at version 0.25,next version (which is what you see in this gif) is going to be 0.3 and so on,until the tool is out.

http://i.giphy.com/l2JJsKwW3XRrb4vaE.gif
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Ooh very cool! I cant wait to try it out!
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    @TooLzor 
    Layer Cake looks awesome! I'm going to share that with my environment artists.
    Let me know how it goes! There has been a few small bug fixes in the last couple days. One of which was found last night and has been fixed as well. The new version is 3.5.1
    It makes it so Icing and Spectacles don't crash when you feed it a document with a Background layer that is locked (like that original Background layer that PS creates)
    So if you're needing those ( @malcolm said he needs it for importing in UE4 I guess) make sure you pick up the new update :smirk:  )
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Sorry for spamming this thread ^^

Made some progress on the script.We're getting closer and closer to the release and most bugs on the previous versions were solved :)

http://i.giphy.com/l2JJslUa5iQlumMnu.gif

• joarwho
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys. I'm currently working on my first script (yeey!). It's nothing fancy but I wanted to share it anyway. The script basically create nurbcurves in different shapes, color and size and then group them, snap them to selected joint and take the orientation from selected joint. I also added a bake function which bake simulation to joints and removes all the groups and nurb curves.

• fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
    I am currently working on a skin shader (no precomputed data) for Unity. Pretty happy to see some result even if there's still a lot of work to do. :)
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    fire67 said:
    I am currently working on a skin shader (no precomputed data) for Unity. Pretty happy to see some result even if there's still a lot of work to do. :)

-snip-
    Damn, this is dope.  
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I am currently working on a skin shader (no precomputed data) for Unity. Pretty happy to see some result even if there's still a lot of work to do.

Nice work you've got there !

• TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a quick maxscript (the usual first maxscript people probably make)
    http://travisevashkevich.com/Shareables/CenterExport.zip
    It's a export script for all Selected Objects which will center the pivot to the object, put it to 0,0,0 and export then put the object back and reset the pivot. 
    Just made it for some stuff I was doing and didn't feel like doing that every time for all the objects :smiley:

Edit:
    Oh yeah, also made another quick Photoshop script as well
    http://travisevashkevich.com/Shareables/NormallyBlue.zip

Normally Blue is a small script I made for PolyCount User Malcolm who wanted a script he could use to toggle layers when doing normal map work.
    Specifically he wanted to be able to run the script and have the Blue Channel toggled (on or off) and the blending mode set to Overlay or Normal (toggled).
    I took it one step further and made it work on all selected layers when run.
    One caveat it does have is that I wanted to keep the script small and not have to include outside libraries just for finding out if the blue channel is on or off already so Normally Blue toggles based on the Blend mode.
    If the selected layer has Blend Mode set to Normal, it will toggle the Blend Mode to Overlay and turn the Blue Channel off.
    If the Blend Mode is Overlay, it will set it to Normal and turn the Blue Channel to on.

• fire67
    Offline / Send Message
    fire67 polycounter lvl 8
  • solkar
    Offline / Send Message
    solkar vertex
    I've been working on the shaders and lighting for a retro futuristic scene.
     This will settle the basis for a VR demo I'm working on. 

• swann
    Offline / Send Message
    swann polycounter lvl 4
    skankerzero said:
    @nodeway
    The VHACD plugin looks amazing too. One suggestion is to raise the volume of your voice a little bit. You were difficult to hear with my headphones here at work.
    Thanks!

I recorded it at night and didn't wanted to wake up anyone, so the voice is low, and the video is glued together from screenshots in couple places. Will fix it for final version.
  • zweek
    Offline / Send Message
    zweek polycounter lvl 17
    solkar said:
    I've been working on the shaders and lighting for a retro futuristic scene.
     This will settle the basis for a VR demo I'm working on. 

As a fan of the 80's i love this. (i'm going to go listen to some Kavinsky now)
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Awesome 80s shader, totally nailed the look! Would love to play a modern game that let you explore environments in that style.

Keep us posted on your progress :)