Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK-337 modular rifle system

Replies

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    My Question now is, why didn't you just create UV shells for every Smoothing Group instead of creating more geometry around the edges, to get an result that isn't as clean as simply cutting the shells? Just because you didn't want to arrange too many uv shells?
      This is what the front of the suppressor looks like on my bake / UV.

This is a better layout for this part than either of your examples. When texturing you can actually see what you're working on instead of a bunch of weird strips.

You can also see that the extra edges only serve to control the normal correction gradient a bit on the front plane where it might be most noticeable. If your engine and baker have synced tangent bases you can do without them.  People keep bringing up these edges. I'm not defending every edge loop on every part of this model. There are twenty seven thousand triangles, I'm sure some are superfluous.
  • Fridock
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man - how do you bake your occlusion maps?
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    My Question now is, why didn't you just create UV shells for every Smoothing Group instead of creating more geometry around the edges, to get an result that isn't as clean as simply cutting the shells? Just because you didn't want to arrange too many uv shells?

This is a better layout for this part than either of your examples. When texturing you can actually see what you're working on instead of a bunch of weird strips.

You can also see that the extra edges only serve to control the normal correction gradient a bit on the front plane where it might be most noticeable. If your engine and baker have synced tangent bases you can do without them.  People keep bringing up these edges. I'm not defending every edge loop on every part of this model. There are twenty seven thousand triangles, I'm sure some are superfluous.
    Thanks for the answer.
    I would have never thought on unwrapping it this way. 
    I really like your model and im looking forward to see the finished version.

Btw. Your tutorial on how to create a knife was the first thing i did in 3d and its what got me into game art :-)

Thank you very much for that :-D
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9

Im confused , I was watching Tim Bergholz tutorial on his AK and he said that you want to keep lines as straight as possible when unwrapping. Normally I would have done it like you just showed but after watching his tut I would have straightened it ? He said that straightening the lines help get a cleaner bake ?
  • ComradeDispenser
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    That would be correct, rotated UV islands can give rough artifacts. Not in this case though. Having it this way has pretty much no drawbacks, and as you can see, the bake is fine. It's much easier to texture this way as well.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Im confused , I was watching Tim Bergholz tutorial on his AK and he said that you want to keep lines as straight as possible when unwrapping. Normally I would have done it like you just showed but after watching his tut I would have straightened it ? He said that straightening the lines help get a cleaner bake ?
    Having a lot of straight edges in the unwrap makes for a more efficient pack with less null space. A lot of people would straighten a curved magazine in the UV for example. But in this case, and generally with all cylinder caps, having an intuitive UV layout that's easy to texture on is more of a win than null space optimizations.

Artifacts won't arise unless you're very low on texel density, as you can see there are none here

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With a synced bake, the only time you'll have artifacts is projection issues, projection skewing, and from low texel density. Your UVs shouldn't matter too much, as long as they aren't extremely distorted or low resolution. A lot of hard gradients can cause artifacts to show up when your texture uses a lower mip though, but I wouldn't worry about that at all for a portfolio piece. 
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha thanks for clearing that up
  • Revic_95
    Offline / Send Message
    Revic_95 vertex
    Very interesting technique, working with blockouts!

I've noticed here that the actual inside of the loop is just planar. 
    How did you make that look so good? The sense of depth you added looks amazing. 
    Pardon me if this is a newbie question... What I learned in school about normal maps just never gave me such good results!

By the way, this whole thread is just gold to me. You're inspirational and I really hope those gumroad tutorials will be made - I would certainly buy them. 
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Revic_95

Sometimes you have to model things unrealistically to get your normal map to show the detail that you want, you could model that with more of a cone shape, so that you get to "see" the sides of the inside of the barrel. And then the middle can be darkened to black by your AO, you will probably have to paint that in. Or you can make it black in the albedo and make sure there is no gloss/completely rough where it is black. 
  • Falkrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
    Hey, great job you did here!
    Can you tell me, do you match pixel density between separate models? How do you choose size of the texture for separate part. Can you show some of the textures and UV layouts? Thanks!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum said:
    Hey, great job you did here!
    Can you tell me, do you match pixel density between separate models? How do you choose size of the texture for separate part. Can you show some of the textures and UV layouts? Thanks!
    The pixel density isn't matched between models. I textured each part on a 2048 so certain things like the grip are much more dense than certain parts like the receiver. In production you would keep the visually important parts at max res and halve or quarter the other parts according to their visibility. I might post some textures later... as for the UVs I can tell you each part has a square ratio texture, some use more or less mirroring to fill the space

I think for now I'm gonna suspend this project, I wanna come back later and revise the textures and make more parts, but I think it would be a more valuable use of time for now to get some props and vehicles into my portfolio. Might post some small tweaks soon but probably nothing major.

• C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Oooomg, that presentation... Really, love it. Didn´t expect it to turn out THAT well!

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    I would set the FOV to 20-30 ^^
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    Looks very very good!
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ben, when you have a cylinder object that is either inset or deeper you always reduce the the edge flow to make the inner part les faces. Is there a specific workflow to this or do you just delete one edges on the inner part and then connect whats left .

• C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    You can collapse edges (3Ds Max). The first thing I do on every install is setting a hotkey for collapsing to shift+C.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah just edge collapsing
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    some final renders

• Eric Chadwick
    That's kick-ass Ben.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    That looks awesome I really like the scope.
  • micropolius
    Offline / Send Message
    micropolius polycounter lvl 3
    True craftmanship. Respect!
  • ArNavart
    Offline / Send Message
    ArNavart polycounter lvl 2
    It has very balanced look! And looks exceptionally real!
  • johanflod
    Offline / Send Message
    johanflod polycounter lvl 7
    amazing work on this! thanks for sharing the steps as well. 
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Great work! Thank you for showing the wireframes of your polys as well. Its easy to nitpick polys here and there, but I like seeing how other people optimize.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    I think you forgot a couple of attachments... Haha just kidding! Man this looks awesome! Would you be willing to share some UVs and Texture sheets?
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Well done! Thanks for the info along the way.
  • Lokthar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokthar polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for showing us the process! Awesome piece as always <3
  • snake1983

Great works ,ben. :)

How to make the model look like realistic . What is the key to making a realistic model,  Ploygon, texture,Light?

this is my 3d works ,I hope you can make more comments.I want to know the gap between I and masters. thank you .

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LVorP