Home Featured Artwork

Space Ships fleet

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GrafxBOX polycounter lvl 5
Some of my newest models I've been working on (modeling with Max2010, texturing "Photoshop/Quixel")

Replies

• Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    These are fantastic, well done! I love chunky spaceship designs. how long did these take you to make?
  • GrafxBOX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot said:
    These are fantastic, well done! I love chunky spaceship designs. how long did these take you to make?
    Hi Stinkfoot, on those ones something like 3/6 days depending on the complexity of the model
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    GrafxBOX said:
    Stinkfoot said:
    Hi Stinkfoot, on those ones something like 3/6 days depending on the complexity of the model
    3/6 days ? WHAT ? HOW? sry for caps :smile:  awesome work!!!
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work. Do you use High-Poly Bakes or is everything low poly + ndo ?
  • GrafxBOX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling said:
    Awesome work. Do you use High-Poly Bakes or is everything low poly + ndo ?
    Low poly (about 80.000 polys) and Photoshop+Ndo
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Saw these on Sketchfab earlier, really nice work man! I want to do some myself now I see them coming out so awesome from your end!
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    80k polys - isn't thats a lot?
    Is it planned for a space sim, RTS or what?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Any chance you could break a ship down and show your process ? Like if you use ndo for the panels hard model them and baked or what not
  • GrafxBOX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance you could break a ship down and show your process ? Like if you use ndo for the panels hard model them and baked or what not
    for the moemnt not, have to install some video capture... and my english is not so good for a looong tutorial ;)
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Look great man. Really showing of what ndo is capable of. 

You should tottally add some directional effects like scortch marks on the ships that might have gone through re-entry.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you be kind enough to put up the wireframes and textures ?
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    s1dK said:
    GrafxBOX said:
    Stinkfoot said:
    I'm with him. As someone who models a lot of hard surface vehicles I would normally find that very difficult to believe. What's your workflow like?  What does the high poly look like? Were most of the high poly assets ripped from another project or something?
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    s1dK said:
    GrafxBOX said:
    Stinkfoot said:
    I'm with him. As someone who models a lot of hard surface vehicles I would normally find that very difficult to believe. What's your workflow like?  What does the high poly look like? Were most of the high poly assets ripped from another project or something?
    Stuff like this doesn't necesarrily need high poly assets, you can chamfer the major edges on the in-game geo, and then do all the fine detailing/greebles with NDO
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    How would you go about texturing this? Would you use just one repeating texture with a second texture just for details? Or does each piece have it's own uv space?
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    It would be really nice if you could do a  screen-cast of how you make such a beast in 3-6 days. A little lack in english language isn't a problem - I know what I'm talking about ;) The information is more important than a perfect english.
  • GrafxBOX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here some screenshots, wireframe and PSD layers, I reuse parts of this model on other spaceships (similar to the guys who works on star wars models) if I will have to create unique stuffs for every ship I will spend much more that 3/6 days :)
    I usually start in Photoshop drawing lines (Hull plates) later add some scheme colors, finally add some weatherings in NDO and refine dirts, logos etc in Photoshop, its a long process so this is a short resume of my textures workflow...
  • GrafxBOX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT said:
    It would be really nice if you could do a  screen-cast of how you make such a beast in 3-6 days. A little lack in english language isn't a problem - I know what I'm talking about ;) The information is more important than a perfect english.
    you just miss.. I just ulpoaled 3 minutes ago some screeshots
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    GrafxBOX said:
    SimonT said:
    i'm a master when it comes to timing :D 
    so you re-use small parts for several ships but the main body is built unique? do the small parts share one big texture and then you've a 2nd texture for the unique body?
  • GrafxBOX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT said:
    GrafxBOX said:
    SimonT said:
    i'm a master when it comes to timing :D 
    so you re-use small parts for several ships but the main body is built unique? do the small parts share one big texture and then you've a 2nd texture for the unique body?
    I reuse some small parts (details/props) and yes the main body is unique for every ship and add new small parts for every each new model, there is just one 4096x4096 texture, as the small reused parts are already unwrapped I save lot of time.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the hull plating is done all through photoshop using the pen tool? Did you eventually convert it to normals?
  • GrafxBOX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the hull plating is done all through photoshop using the pen tool? Did you eventually convert it to normals?
    yes, normal / bump.. if hull details where geometry there will be not 80.000 polys but somewhat like 1 million polys :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dam these look so nice, awesome work.
  • ArmoredWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArmoredWolf polycounter lvl 3
    What exactly did you use Ndo for?

Did you convert just the black panel lines to normals or did you convert your entire image with text, dirt and everything to normals?
  • AndyLittleton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyLittleton polycounter lvl 10
    awesome job. Nicely textured and modeled.

Here's my honest critque.

80k poly would be too much for a game like starcraft but somewhat okay for a fps space shooter game due to the large vehicle scale in a flight sim.  Although I think you can do better on your poly count and only use what's needed. Baking some high res would lower your poly count  and eliminate some unnessary edge loops.    Overall your poly topology is good.

4k unique texture would work fine in a portfolio or a game where the camera never gets up close to the ship, but may not hold well if game camera ever flys into this battle ship up close.  Multi material spatmasking or texture material tiling or other shader material tricks would be needed in a game space flight sim game if you want to retain good pixel density. 

Overall Awesome work in a such a short time.  At the end of the day it's all about end results and it looks great from those screenshots.
  • Cube.master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube.master polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice!, I think they could take a month or more if you try to model/unwarp them from scratch.