Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samurai Girl

vertex
Offline / Send Message
NNKD vertex
Hi everyone!

I've been learning to sculpt and wanted to take a shot at a character based on Alberto Camara's concept:

I really like how much personality comes through in his concept with such clean shapes and gesture. Hopefully I can capture the feeling of the character in my sculpt.

My current progress:

I started by shaping spheres to get some sort of base, and then slowly dynameshed pieces together to refine the form and transitions. I had some trouble with the legs so I moved away from a neutral pose to get the shape down in pose, and also get something going for the head. Now I'm working on the building up the clothing and accessories.

Let me know what you think, I'd really appreciate any feedback or advice!

Replies

• Zaina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaina polycounter lvl 10
    quite interesting so far man. I like the way you are using the shapes to block out. Just be careful with the pose as it is very exaggerated and you can easily lose yourself in it. Try to remember the counter balance throughout the body. ex: how the neck probably wouldnt be straight into the torso like that. The back and forth + S shape rhythms to help with the balance. Keep up the good work!
  • NNKD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NNKD vertex

Since last time, I built out all the accessories and refined the face. It was definitely tough since it was my first time making accessories, but there were so many for this character that I think I started to understand the workflow by the end. With the face, I couldn't really nail down something that truly matched the concept, so I eventually deviated and tried to just make something I was happy with.

On the pose, Zaina's feedback helped me understand what was making the character feel stiff, so I pushed back the neck and tried to balance the arms a bit better. I like how exaggerated the position of the hips are, and so I kept the overall idea of the pose, but once I got into asymmetry I tried counterbalancing the rotations a bit better.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looking freakin spot on!  
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I like the sculpt a lot so far. Every element is working together fantastically, and you have a great balance of details.
    My one nitpicky critique is that I think the body suit looks a bit strange on the butt, it sags a bit like a diaper and it's rather unflattering to the rest of your sculpt. I did a small paintover expanding the width and hugging the buns a bit more. Don't know if it helps, just an idea.

• Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concept and fantastic sculpt.

Comparing the original concept, I noticed more tension to the way she grips to her swords. The way she is holding them in the sculpt is more laid back, like she is leaning against a wall at a ranch and I wonder if this is intentional.
  • NNKD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NNKD vertex
    @Slosh thank you!  :)

@Makkon thanks for the kind words! And nice catch, the paintover definitely looks a lot better, now I can't unsee how off it looks. In general, the back of the sculpt gave me a lot of trouble and reposing without symmetry pushed some of the pieces like the body suit even further out of place.

@Kebab thanks! Unfortunately not intentional, I think you described it well as leaning against a wall at a ranch. Looking at it now, her arms feel delicately placed, and I think I need to find a way to make her feel like she's pushing her arms against the sword and capture that tension.

Additionally, I think some of the accessories could be cleaned up. I'm trying out hard surface techniques in zbrush at the moment, and maybe I can take what I learn there and apply it back to this character.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    She looks nice :)
    keep it up!
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! Nice job here. I think you tottally capture her spirit. 
    The only thing I could critic is that her eyes looks a bit weird ... maybe wider than it seems ons the concept...
    But it's just my opinion. Great job so far ! keep going =D

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    are you going to texture/surface this?

I can't wait to see how it turns out