Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer 40K Imperial Guard Valkyrie

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Hi fellow polycounters!
I wanted to share my latest work with you.

It is a highpoly version of a Warhammer 40K Valkyrie.

The Valkyrie is a Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) airborne assault carrier used primarily by the Imperial Guard as both a gunship and a transport for airborne combat regiments.

Realtime model may follow eventually.
Hope you enjoy : )

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Saw it on Artstation. Beautiful :) But you should start to do some Game Art ;) If you want :)
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Wow love it. Where did you render it? Do you plan on texturing it?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Where'd you render this in?  Looks chunky :D
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thanks guys.

Yes, I plan on making a lowpoly version and texture it.
    The highpoly you se here is rendered in a pretty simple Keyshot setup : )
  • psykon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    psykon polycounter lvl 6
    Fantastic work! Looking forward to a real-time version :)
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    really nice work dude. gotta love the guard! now all we need are some drop troops and we have a good thing going :P glad to see you dont call them the astra millitarum. 
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Impressive ..most impressive. Love it every bit. Usually unwrapping hi poly is bad idea but why I have a feeling you did unwrap this.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty dang solid. I have a question regarding the seams. They look very spaced out. But it's happening on all of them. Is that intentional? Also what does your wire frame look like?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thanks guys.

@ Hawk12HT: no it is not unwrapped ;)
    @ Daniel: Yep, the width of the seams is intentional. Maybe not very realistic, but I liked how the model kit looks like and kept to it. The wireframe is nochting special, just a pretty normal highpoly one. I will take some screens when I get to my computer.

And yes, I´m about to make a lowpoly version of it.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
  • wojciech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really great! I love the way you kept the miniature feel and scale, that's the charm of GW!
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Here are some screens from the high and the low poly version:

Next is UVs and then on to texturing : )

• PolyDjent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyDjent polycounter lvl 5
    This is absolutely fantastic! Great work, man!

Did you use materials from keyshot library?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    The lowpoly is done and finally I have all normal maps done. Next would be materials, right? : )

I´m open to any suggestion regarding textures/materials for this piece.
    I will start gathering references of airplanes, tanks etc. since I´m not sure where I want to go with this one texture-wise. Might end up doing more than one version. Who knows : P
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Would you like to post your Triangles Count and your Textures please? :)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Got it done.

Here are some screen but you can also see some Marmoset Viewer scenes on my Artstation page.
    Hope you like it : )

Feel free to comment  ^^
  • PolyDjent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well done! Love the details and texture variation! A little advice though, ur gotta put soft edges inside a UV shell and put uv splits on hard eges. In this case u'll have nice high-poly facets on ur lowpoly mesh. Now there are lots of places where those facets are sharp and lowpoly. Plus mirroring and reusing similar parts would've saved a lot of UV space and make the texture look more highres. One more thing is the glass, which looks too clean compared to the rest of the model. I know there are troubles rendering dirty glass in marmoset but there's a workaround using double mesh with different alpha blending. You can find more at marmoset's site. Apart from that, great work, keep it up!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Great model. Love the Imperial Guard aircraft designs. I gathered up refs a while back and hacked a front/side together of the IG Maurauder fighter. Have to get around to it some day. :smile: 
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    ur gotta put soft edges inside a UV shell and put uv splits on hard eges. In this case u'll have nice high-poly facets on ur lowpoly mesh. Now there are lots of places where those facets are sharp and lowpoly.

Not sure if I understand what you mean. Each uv shell has its own smoothing group and the lowpoly looks almost exactly like the highpoly version of the model.
    Here´s the low with normals and the low without normals.

But I agree on the glass. Really gotta look into that the next time.

• aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Nice bakes! Very clean. 
  • PolyDjent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G said:
    ur gotta put soft edges inside a UV shell and put uv splits on hard eges. In this case u'll have nice high-poly facets on ur lowpoly mesh. Now there are lots of places where those facets are sharp and lowpoly.

Not sure if I understand what you mean. Each uv shell has its own smoothing group and the lowpoly looks almost exactly like the highpoly version of the model.
    Here´s the low with normals and the low without normals.

But I agree on the glass. Really gotta look into that the next time.

Well, then looks like marmoset is compressing normals too much. In any case, if ur bake looks fine, that means u made UV splits everywhere where the hard edges are. technically, all the UV splits as well as hard edges (edges where different smoothing groups meet, if u use max) double the vertex count, which is kinda not good, as the number of verts is all that matters for game engines (not the number of triangles). So the general rule is making as little hard edges and  uv splits as possible. And texturing would've been easier with less seams on the model.  

• Laciodrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laciodrom polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work! 
    Can you show the light setup scene? :)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Really nice model dude, I like the texture too, the gloss variation on all the scrapes looks great when the specular hits it.

Would love for the glass to be more "visible," maybe a rougher gloss with some scrapes / crud on it.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    @ Laciodrom: The light setup is really nothing special. Only a marmoset hdr with custom child lights from the hdr.

@ AHH: Thank you and true, the glass is the weakest part. I asked in two dfferent threads for help on that, but well... gotta makle some better glass next time : )