Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Handpainted, Robot Tank thingy

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Afklamer polycounter lvl 7

Latest update : 

-------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone,

So I started summer 2014 in accompany called Goodgamestudios, they hired me to set up an art team to create a AAA game. As the team grew my responsibilities as AD moved more and more away from actual production. Although I love the team there and it was one of the best experiences I ever had I decided to leave GGS.

Now having some free time, the first thing I want to do is creating some actual art, before looking around for a new place to go crazy about =D

So here is a concept of my buddy Woj on a story idea we have been tinkering on.

And this the 3d thingy

Originally I had some friends helping out for the fun of it so vent shaft and the texture of the gate behind the bot is done by my buddy’s Cyril and Kevin. The tank is based off a proxy model Konstantin did but by now is entirely MINE! (sorry dude that thing you’ve built was awesome though!)  =D

Most of the stuff is still proxy but wanted to get a good light setup before detailing things out. :

The tank is my next thing I'm gonna finish up, obviously it needs some more love =D

Well that’s it for now. Let me know what you guys think. 

Pantalones! 

Replies

• Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I really love this! Your art direction is on point.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    The lighting looks a bit dull and lacking contrast, nice job on the modelling and texturing though.
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    thanks for dropping by!
    @ frenetic got a point there. Currently trying to fix the lighting. Will post it soon =)
    @ carabiner  thanks =) 

Well here's the updated tank still needs more work but im getting there.
    Poly count on the wheels forced me to set up normals hope will look fine once textured. 
    Also added a back side to it, oh boy really hoped to be done with the tank it by friday. 
    Aso plan to set up some fancy decals =) 

Pantalones ! =D 

• Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey  so have been tinkering on the scene still heavily wip but felt like updating the thread =D
    decided to change the lighting, also one more week to gdc so I'd better hurry up ^^ 

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Really cool work :)
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Awesome work :) I love it.
  • chaselt
    Offline / Send Message
    chaselt polycounter lvl 4
    This is really cool man. I really enjoy the style. The texture work and the forms are nice and the lighting is looking great. 
    It's looking great. (I'm with ya on that GDC rush)
    Can't wait to see how this ends up.
  • mats effect
    Yeah this looks really cool I like the style of the tank and your texture work is really good!
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth

Ah, the famous Denis (Alf?) crumble-edge. It's looking hella cool. I like how nature is slowly creeping in. Lighting looks much improved from last time I saw it, but there are still some surfaces (the tile floor and the concrete) that look like they're missing reflections even though they're in direct light. 

• Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message

*soory weird repost thingy i screwed up ^^*
  • n4uj
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the stylized textures and models you got there!
    The only critique I can think of is how the checker tiles blend with the concrete floor underneath. It seems too clean, maybe you can get rid of some entire tiles, since that is how it usually happens in real life. Also if you have breaked tiles you might also want to add some tile shards as well...

It looks great anyway xD
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    JAMESMEADER  Hey, thanks for dropping by. glad you like it. hope youre doing fine =) 

GARCELLANO thanks mate 

CHASELT Thanks, still tinkering on the light. still feels a little weird but slowly getting there =). this year GDC is going to be fun =D 

MATS EFFECT Thanks! love textureing, actually think i had a level up while working on the tank =D 

@ PIXELB patented  crumble edge. =D  changed some lighting in the new set. still want to finish up props before getting  the ground  to reflect properly

Well another update, added more props and stuff. refined lighting. Still needs some work. Im particularly happy how the bottels turned out =)
    Stillneeds lots of work but things ar slowly getting together. C&C are welcome as usual. Oh boy 5 more days, till my flight to GDC  slowly geting the panics ^^ 

• Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    N4UJ uh thats a good point with the tiles.  ill try to get that in as well. Thanks !!  have been  strugling with the lit up front ground a little this might be actually the solution =) 
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    and here we go, next update  changed lots of  smaller stuff and also more lighting changes. still have a big list of stuff i wanna do. Big thanks to woj, warby and pixelb. good feedback from you guys! 
     3 more days - reached full panic mode =D  C&C are very welcome. 

Pantalones! 
  • borodach
    Offline / Send Message
    borodach polycounter lvl 2
    He is staring right into my soul. Awesome stuff.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I love it, it is really good! Just a question, Is this pbr rendering or just flat-shaded with lighting? 
  • xhi
    Offline / Send Message
    xhi polycounter lvl 2
    Something about the checkered tiles is sexy.  Kind of reminds me of Ahh! Real Monsters, if you've ever seen that cartoon.
  • Madwish
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    Lovely work!

I think your recent updates are getting a bit too busy though, the eye is a bit lost in the picture compared to before. I did a quick photoshop combine to illustrate, hope you don't mind:

I didn't do any paintover, it's just the combo of your latest update and the picture from March 5.

I think it works better on the eye, you have areas with little details and the robot place with the most detail. Still some secondary details like the screen, but no more toolbox and tools on the left to attract the eye. I also think that ground works a lot better, and combining all the cables of both picture reinforces the idea quite well.

But overall, looking forward to see the final version! ;)

• Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    @ borodach  haha , thanks

@ Nuclear Angel, tha thanks. I use a mix. I do paint some lighting info in the textures but its still realtivley flat.

@ XHI hey nah never seen the show  checker tiles are always awesome ^^

@ madwish hey i see where youre coming from, and if it was an actuall ingame shot for game play  I'd be totally with you, Originally i wanted to build a fully playable scene but  well no time left. so i decided to go for a bullshot. got feedback from a bunch of friends, and most dint consider it to noisy so i hope it will do =) 
    What i did though is  that I pushed the focal points a bit, i do hope it's helping

so this is pretty much what ill take  to GDC, and of course some other older stuff let me know what you  guys think =) 

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not keen on the mech design so much but I absolute love the texture you did for it. Same with the textures for the environment as well, those textures are killer! 
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, this style is awesome! I feel like the lighting could be pushed a little more though. 
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    The highlights on the tiles and subtle rim light on the mech are just right now. Great job with all the extra little story telling details!