Home Technical Talk

3D Max - UV Snap to grid when Scaling (is it possible?)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
(This is in regards to creating proper lightmaps for modular assets that fit on Unreals grid units.)

Edited topic / question to help focus on the main questions, thanks to all for the answers already!

Hey all, 

So these are some basic questions to ask, but I can't seem to find any proper answers, so I'm hoping you all can help :smile:  

1) Is there any way to Snap to Grid while scaling your UV Shells?

2) Is there ANY way to snap to grid in Freeform Scale mode... ANY WAY AT ALL!?

Any and all help would be INCREDIBLY appreciated. Please... please help me...

Thanks all!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you can move the pivot, when in Freeform mode. Hover the mouse over the pivot, and the cursor should change from black arrows to larger white arrows. Click and move. Then use Alt to scale from the pivot. You can also use the preset pivot locations, in the toolbar on the right under Quick Transform.

I think grid snapping only works in Move mode. But I don't use it so I'm not sure.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    1 - You can move the uv shell pivot point in freeform mode: Hover over the pivot in move mode and the cursor will change to a white arrow-cross.

2 - Snapping only works in vertex move mode.

EDIT: Sorry Eric, I must have been typing my answer and hadn't seen yours. :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric for the quick response. 

The biggest issue here is that Freeform Mode does not snap whatsoever... are you familiar with anyway I can trick it into snapping? I can't believe how frustrating this is haha

Thanks again Eric. 
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just updated the topic / question to help with the current issue I am dealing with.

Thanks all for the answers!
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    A suggestion: If you are wanting to scale to the grid (especially if you know your grid sizes won't change often) you can turn on Percent (%) Snap. You can adjust it so that you can scale to the size of the grid. Just make sure that you snap everything to the grid first in vertex mode. This may be able to give you what you are looking for! It's not perfect, but works (in most situations).