Home General Discussion

Stardew Valley

mod
Anyone playing this? I have been fiending it. 5 days in, I`ve played 45 hours. Absolutely love it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs
http://stardewvalley.net/

What's crazy is that the entire game was made by a single guy. The amount of charm it has, and the solid direction. Everything is entwined perfectly. If you were ever a fan of harvest moon, or just like farming type games, TRY THIS. Seriously. Well worth the 15 bucks on steam. 

It's only single player for now, but he`s adding 4 player co-op. He's also putting out constant updates. I love this guys passion and dedication. holy.

Replies

• Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    So the original Harvest Moon is still my favorite and I never got around to playing Harvest Moon 64. But anyway, with all the weird gameplay decisions and unnecessary complexities of the various modern Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games, I feel like Stardew Valley is a much welcome change for this type of game.

My favorite part is that all the characters do not look like 13-year-old girls. Harvest Moon has a problem of focusing too much on relationships but making everyone look like pedo bait.
  • bounchfx
    yeah I've been playing it as well. I loved old harvest moon (played the HELL out of friends of mineral town), but hadnt caught up in a while. I got this, played two hours, almost stopped because I'm lazy and shouldn't be playing games, but decided to play another hour or two. Now I'm hooked. Fuck. It's so good. I'm so excited for when he adds multiplayer too.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The tile by tile farming looks pretty cumbersome. Can you upgrade to a tractor and some better tools so it's a little less painstaking?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Mstankow said:
    So the original Harvest Moon is still my favorite and I never got around to playing Harvest Moon 64. But anyway, with all the weird gameplay decisions and unnecessary complexities of the various modern Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games, I feel like Stardew Valley is a much welcome change for this type of game.

My favorite part is that all the characters do not look like 13-year-old girls. Harvest Moon has a problem of focusing too much on relationships but making everyone look like pedo bait.
    Probably because it was intended to be played mainly by children : P
    on the other hand, the japanese usually do a good job of making characters that have no clear age
  • bounchfx
    The tile by tile farming looks pretty cumbersome. Can you upgrade to a tractor and some better tools so it's a little less painstaking?
    yes there are quite a lot of upgrades
  • Narosev
    Offline / Send Message
    Narosev polycounter lvl 7
    I didn't think I would be this hooked on the game, very addicting. I appreciate the dev's efforts and that he seems to be pretty active with the community and feedback. Came across a reddit thread relating to a bug I ran into (getting stuck when casting fishing rod) and he had already replied that he was working on a patch.

As far as farming upgrades, I've upgraded the water can and it can water 3 spots instead of 1 now but I'm not sure about the hoe or other farming equipment.

I did read that if you have a spouse they will help out with the farm which is awesome, but I can't say for sure as I keep getting rejected. (So realistic)
  • slipsius
    Ya, your hoe and watering can can upgrade a few times. it goes 1 square, 3 squares straight ahead, 5 squares straight ahead, 3x3 square infront of you, then i think 3x5. havnet got that last one yet. 

Got to year 3 over the weekend. Got a lower score than expected, so im restarting now.