Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizz Handpainted CV [UE4]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Afklamer polycounter lvl 7

Hey everyone.

I'm prepping currently my CV and well one place I'm gonna apply to is the WOW team. 
Still tinkering around with everything, struggling internally if I should bump up the Polycount on some of the stuff but I don't want to get to far off from the current wow style. Nevertheless I sneaked in a couple of bevels =D

Feedback & thoughts are very welcome 

*** recent version***
-------------------------------------

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very cool style! nice work keeping it true to wow but still using nice lighting and shadows
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    This is an amazing idea! I love the lighting.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    haha awesome idea and looks really good, reminds me of a lifebuoy that said thanks for the interview that I made after I applied for my current job.

I'm sure people will like it! Unless the hiring department plays as the alliance, then you're screwed! ;)
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I would suggest to take a look at the current (WoD/Legion) stuff. The polycount increased drastically with the last WoW Addons (compared to Classic/BC/WotLK).
    So I think some bevels are fine. :)

For the piece itself: Nice idea and good model.
    I would push the textures a little more. Some "trick" someone told me here at the forum ist to copy the whole diffuse layer, set it to Overlay and set the opacity to ~15% (and maybe sharpen it a little bit). I think it's called "bearclaw" if I remember correct (hell to long no handpainted stuff done^^).
    With this the colors pop out more and get a little more intense (like in WoW).
    You should also work on the base of the model, this is very simple, compared to the rest. ;)
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth

As one of said "whipped peons", these are my thoughts:

• Something about the render looks too sharp. I'd try rendering it in Toolbag instead of UE4 and not using image-based lighting.
    • I'm not sure if "fluent in several weapon types" is a reference to software, languages, or if you have a collection of nunchucks at home.
    • I approve of the butterflies. Texture them!
    • I am legit not sure whether WoW artists would model the twists on the rope. Definitely not when I was there.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
     :p Nice work! 
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    It's great! About as great as it is too daaaaaaaaaaaark

• Will_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    I was wondering, how do you go about handpainting textures?
  • Afklamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Afklamer polycounter lvl 7
    hey, so I added all the stuff I managed. stupid sinus infection slowes me down :/
    Anyways since I have to send the application in tomorrow I am wrapping up. 
    Do you guys think it looks finished enough ? 
    I would love to make a blend texture for the ground but  thats another day of work X_x

thanks GED =)

Carabiner,   =D

Deathstick, haha, since I've some alliance stuff in my portfolio I hope that I'll be fine

Dethling, I agree that they upped their polycount but i havent seen exsessive beveling yet ^^
                   Also tried the thexture thingy helped a little. I tend to overdetail so im super caustious on these things

Pixelb, - Had a sharpen thing going in the post volume. turned it off... better ?  I likes my unreal engine =D
                 - Obviously I'm talking about my heavily weponized  frige, that breakes several of the Geneva Conventions
                 - Uhm, well  they arenot really butterflies D=. Still approved ?  
                 - I checked the game, it's tubes but I like it this way more and last time they diddn't complain when I added geo to the  building edges. 
    • PANTALONES !  =D 
    Freneticponies  yay ! 

Bedrock, thanks! I tried to lighten things up I didn't want the contrast too go to off though. I know those guys are super picky about that.

Will_M, hum that a rather broad question. Can you specify a little ? 

• pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
     - Had a sharpen thing going in the post volume. turned it off... better ? 

Much. Bedrock's lighting enhancement looks good, too.

- I checked the game, it's tubes but I like it this way more and last time they diddn't complain when I added geo to the  building edges. 

Yeah, probably safe to err on the side of making it look good.

- Uhm, well  they arenot really butterflies D=. Still approved ?  

:(  aw, and I got so excited, too.