Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Victorian Room Scene and props

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sarah190016 polycounter lvl 6

Hi Guys,

I finished my Odyssey!

The final scene is finally coming out. It is realtime rendered in Unreal Engine. Responsible for all props and lighting. Concept by Titus Lunter.

It is not a replica of real room. The idea comes from the abandon royal family home.It was made for game scene, so it might be a little dramatic. I made up a little story to narrow the concept style, during French revolution and early Victoria era. Rich royal family in England kept or brought decor and furniture from French Palace but inevitably declining.

Replies

• sarah190016
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final shot, for more working progress and props please take a look at 
    My Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artist/sarah_xinting_wang
    or old Topic: http://polycount.com/discussion/158781/victorian-table-and-room-props/p1
  • sarah190016
  • sarah190016
  • sarah190016
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    concept by Titus Lunter, THX a lot. 

• sarah190016
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to say beautiful art. I think in the first image it appears to be to bright and not enough contrast between whats not being hit directly by light and what is. Each asset is beautifully done.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Well that's just beautiful and superbly done, and while the lighting might be considered stylized I still think it's well done. No real crits here, just  :o
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Looks amazing! Love this! You lost the mood of the concept piece though, but you could tweak with lighting and a few more damaged props. Mess up that floor.
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Amazing work! I think the only thing I'd like to see added is colored light from the light coming through the stain glass window. Other than that everything is really top notch here. 
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fantastic, well done
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    lovely work, i litteraly drooled because of the gorgeousness! 
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    This is amazing! Love the attention to detail with your props, did you use substance to create those textures?

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Stellar work, really dig the wooden table :)
  • D252
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing job! How long did it take you to complete this scene ?! and what polycount is?!
  • sarah190016
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D252 said:
    Amazing job! How long did it take you to complete this scene ?! and what polycount is?!
    It took me about 3 month for all the scene. You can find each prop polycount in my artstation. The whole scene is around 250k tris, which AAA game studio scene usually can handle 1-2 million tris per screen view, also including character 
  • sarah190016
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is amazing! Love the attention to detail with your props, did you use substance to create those textures?

Thank you ~~ yes, I use substance designer generate tileable textures but sometimes use painter to modify or layering materials too.
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    This came out very very nice!! Great job!!
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Super nice work Sarah! Only thing i would say is the scene seem to need some blending to tie everything together a little bit... kind of a dust all over surfaces that unify the look of it as abandoned place.... lighting could still get some tweaks to get that penumbra areas like in the concept.
    Overall is an outstanding work, thanks for sharing it!
  • Madwish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    Stunning work on the props and especially the materials, lovely work!

I'm not a huge fan of the final picture though, mostly because of the composition. It's quite hard to read because you don't really have a clear focus point. The original concept doesn't have a clear one either, but it has a lot of rhythm with the darker areas. Since you bumped the lighting everywhere and have loads of details evenly spaced, it becomes quite hard to read.

I think you could improve the final picture without too much work. Right now you have two main areas fighting for attention, the left window with the super strong light and the very noisy foliage, and the ceiling opening with the nice props arrangement below. You should probably try to focus the eye there, especially since your trees on the foreground already draws the eye there. I would attenuate strongly the light on left window and scale down/kill the foliage on the left foreground as it attracts the eye a lot right now. The original concept has something more akin to moss, which might be a really cool idea. You have some nice trees hinting that nature is claiming the place from behind the camera, some moss blend on the ground to amplify that might work really well.

I would also change the angle of your plane volumetric on the top ceiling. It looks a bit weird right now and again draws the eye away from the interesting stuff again. Focus your stronger light where you want the eye, aka on the nice props arrangement again. The perfect door angled like that is a little strange to me too though, but it's pretty minor.

I did a quick paintover to show a bit more what I'm trying to say. I'm not a painter at all and I really hope you don't take all those criticisms badly. There is some amazing work on those props, it's a bit of a shame that they are hard to read in the final picture. Those are also just ideas of course, feel free to do what you want with them and possibly ignore all of it. ;)

• sarah190016
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish said:
    Stunning work on the props and especially the materials, lovely work!

I'm not a huge fan of the final picture though, mostly because of the composition. It's quite hard to read because you don't really have a clear focus point. The original concept doesn't have a clear one either, but it has a lot of rhythm with the darker areas. Since you bumped the lighting everywhere and have loads of details evenly spaced, it becomes quite hard to read.

I think you could improve the final picture without too much work. Right now you have two main areas fighting for attention, the left window with the super strong light and the very noisy foliage, and the ceiling opening with the nice props arrangement below. You should probably try to focus the eye there, especially since your trees on the foreground already draws the eye there. I would attenuate strongly the light on left window and scale down/kill the foliage on the left foreground as it attracts the eye a lot right now. The original concept has something more akin to moss, which might be a really cool idea. You have some nice trees hinting that nature is claiming the place from behind the camera, some moss blend on the ground to amplify that might work really well.

I would also change the angle of your plane volumetric on the top ceiling. It looks a bit weird right now and again draws the eye away from the interesting stuff again. Focus your stronger light where you want the eye, aka on the nice props arrangement again. The perfect door angled like that is a little strange to me too though, but it's pretty minor.

I did a quick paintover to show a bit more what I'm trying to say. I'm not a painter at all and I really hope you don't take all those criticisms badly. There is some amazing work on those props, it's a bit of a shame that they are hard to read in the final picture. Those are also just ideas of course, feel free to do what you want with them and possibly ignore all of it. ;)

I am not gonna ignore you, it is a nice comment. I thought about draw attention on one area too, however, I was a little greedy and want to show more stuff including trees and foliage under brighter light, sort of similar with assassin creed. through doing architectural visualization, I learned the way of draw people's eye from close A to B, B to further C and until the far point. Sometimes, to show a product such as architecture design, it need a well-rounded light and sacrifices some artistic point.  Overall, I agree I lost some rhythm with darker areas. I maybe will do another version of lighting practice to match more contrast idea better.

Thanks a lot for your comment :)