Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sketchbook, WIPs and improvements thread - feedback welcome!

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Elithenia polycounter
I've been lurking around here for a while, and I thought that it was now time to start posting my things here too :)

I've just started out (about 4-5 months now) but trying to learn as much as I can =)

I'm currently using Zbrush the most, but also Maya and some mudbox. Also trying my hand at both the quixel suite and substance painter.

currently I'm working on an homage to the Metroid game. So Samus Aran's Varia suit. I started out, but wasn't too happy that I didn't manage to get it as hardsurface looking as I wanted, so I started over. This time it is better.
I've only done the torso (yellow) part so far, but going to move on to the upper chest armor (red) next.

Feedback and comments are welcome :)

Metroid_016_1-1024x456.jpg

Metroid_016_2-1024x456.jpg

Replies

• THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good so far, just keep in mind functionality with your design. The side plates look like they almost connect together. Samus will need to be able to twist and bend at the waist, if only moderately. The back and abdominal plates look functional with a cool design so far.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Ohh Good point!
    She does spin to a ball. I'll fix the sides then to be more like the front/back :)
    Thanks! =)
  • THendersonVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    The design itself for the side plates is good, so don't change that. Just rearrange the edges so they look like they would overlap one another if moved around. When designing and sculpting, just keep in mind "If it moved this way, would it overlap? Slide under? Stay in place?" Your lines and the little connecting wedges that stick out look really cool, try and keep that a part of your design if you can.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Thank you! Just came back to this after a few busy months of the masters project. I will most likely start over from scratch with the Metroid homage when I have the time. I'll definitely keep this in mind!
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Just made a render of this model that I will have to call finished for now. c&c is very welcome :)