Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help with Environmental Art Portfolio

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
dorodo polycounter lvl 3
As some companies are approaching their deadlines for internship applications, I finished putting my portfolio during the middle of this week. I got some feedback from professors and colleagues, but I would love to see what Polycounters think that works and what needs work.

I know I don't have to say this, but I really appreciate all the feedback that you guys can give me at the moment. I'm currently on an exchange program here in the US and a summer internship is the best chance I got so far to get my foot in the industry, so I'm trying to improve as much as I can so it can get on a professional level ASAP.

You can access my portfolio here. (or also on my signature)

Thank you!

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Small note on the site itself before I get into the work, your able to get to resume and contact via the home page but the menu button shows about and contact. You should try to keep them consistent.

Games: Pretty nice work there, depending on what type of studios your applying to and the style of games they make these might not be applicable. For example if you were applying for somewhere like Ubisoft that focus on realistic art I wouldn't include the 2D game stuff but for mobile studios it would be worth it. More does not always = better, especially if its not all focusing on one type of style/ role. 

Concepts and studies: Most of them are pretty good, I wouldn't include the behind the scenes image as it breaks the flow when scrolling, your portfolio should be a presentation of your best quality work, you dont need wireframes in your concepts. 
    The Hotel Transylvania looks pretty close, if you pushed the levels of your high and low lights it would almost match. The original has a little more definition because the levels are more dramatic. 

3D Models: I personally dont think you need to include texture breakdowns, again your final shot is what you need to impress an employer. 
    Note: I don't see a lot of texture work on the 3D models except the knife which is 10/10, but your hard surface high poly modeling is good. 

Tree House: Looks great I'd like to see more pieces like this. 
  • dorodo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dorodo polycounter lvl 3
    @CarlK3D Thanks for the quick feedback! I did some tweaks based on what you said and (hopefully) fixed most of the issues you mentioned.

You're definitely right about the games part, and I don't plan on getting attached to these pieces, but do you feel that the 2D games are hurting the overall quality? I put them as a way just to show I have some experience in game development. Do you think I should remove both of them?
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    Youre nife looks solid but I think ist has way to many tris. 
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Here's a few resources you can listen to while you work. They have some excellent tips for portfolios and one goes into what to do after the review. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPESZ3JW2AY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo1SGfZEtx4
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    CarlK3D said:

Concepts and studies: Most of them are pretty good, I wouldn't include the behind the scenes image as it breaks the flow when scrolling, your portfolio should be a presentation of your best quality work, you dont need wireframes in your concepts. 
    The Hotel Transylvania looks pretty close, if you pushed the levels of your high and low lights it would almost match. The original has a little more definition because the levels are more dramatic. 

Although I agree in most of the thing you said, I have to disagree on that bit. I think it is quite interesting to show breakdowns since employers can understand your workflow better.
    From what I have been told from what I have learnt talking to industry professionals and recruiters, they need to see how you managed to get that results and how your pipeline can harmonize with the studio workflow. You can show there that you have a technical understanding of polybudgets, LODs, modeling process, etc.
    Also it is very common to breakdown a texture mixing in the same image 3-4 maps, and I just realize that it mess with the whole artistic part of the textures, mixing them just make people don't read the texture properly. Sometimes it is better to have a mosaic of 3-4 textures (at least albedo and normal) and a result of how do they look applied to a basic mesh. But this is my personal opinion, and also that depends on how cool is your texture and how do you wanna display it.
    Btw, your trrehouse and knife are awesome! :D
  • dorodo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dorodo polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys! Thanks for the critique. The knife is definitely higher than I desired for the final polycount. I'm going to do a LOD to help with that.

As for the breakdown, I decided to put back the mosaic of textures for the knife and add a wireframe layout on top of it so I can better show UV usage on it and give it some more purpose.

My biggest concern so far is still on the game projects page. Watching the Level Up video definitely makes me feel like they really are disturbing the overall consistency. Is there anything I can reuse without having a negative impact on the portfolio?

Taking a look at your portfolios really makes me feel excited to get on a similar level soon. Great to hear such kind advises!

Update: After watching what they said about the progress gifs, I'm just keeping the Hotel Transylvania gif since that is a master study.