Home General Discussion

Cintiq Alternatives (2015)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
I've been eyeing a few Cintiq Alternatives recently, I've been reading/watching some reviews here and there but I'm still not really sold on any yet and using Polycount as my final set of input before I cave in and get one. I'm not looking for anything super crazy because it's just for personal work and just messing around (I've been wanting to start drawing again).

I've looked at some previous threads on Polycount but they are pretty dated. I wouldn't mind hearing about how some of those alternatives (Huion and Yiynovas) that some here have purchased in the past and if they are or have held up?

Anyways since then there have been a few newer alternatives that have been released, I'm open to possibly getting a 21ux Cintiq off Ebay if a good listing with a good seller comes up but those are kind of over what I'm willing to spend right now.

Here are a few alternatives I've been eyeing and was wondering if anybody has experience with them or heard anything?

Yiynova MSP19U+ (Or other Yiynovas)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QQ7BG0/ref=cm_sw_su_dp"]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QQ7BG0/ref=cm_sw_su_dp[/ame]

Ugee 19" Graphics Drawing Pen Tablet Monitor (Or other Ugees)
http://amzn.com/B00NL4P3Y0

Huion GT-190S (Or other Huions)
http://amzn.com/B00LIUKRP4

If there are others that I didn't list feel free to let me know :):thumbup:

Thanks!

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I tried a few of these. Build quality is usually pretty low compared to Wacom. Honestly just use an Intuos.
  • gyuladzsi
    Offline / Send Message
    gyuladzsi polycounter lvl 3
    I had a yiynova for a couple years, but the monitor panel went out, making it useless. I wasn't too pissed about it, as I hadn't expected much when I first bought it. Its pretty cool though, definitely works, but for now I'll just stick with my classic intuos3. Can't beat the build quality in Wacom products tbh.
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Have a Yiyunova, and it's definitely on it's way out, and i've gone through a couple of pens already. My advice is just buy a Cintiq.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Coming at this from a slightly different angle : I have been using a black 21UX (DTK-2100) for years, purchased second-hand like new some time after its release (and previously used a grey DTZ-2100 which is sold in order to upgrade). After a while the digitizer panel on the DTK started to have issues (no tracking within an inch or so of the four edges) and eventually died on me just a few months ago.

At that point I was considering switching to one of the alternatives you listed, but ended up playing it conservative (and cheap !) by getting it fixed by the Wacom repair center. The service took very little time, wasn't too expensive (350E including international shipping) and the device now functions even better than when I first got it. I now realise that I should have gotten it serviced as soon as I noticed the initial problem.

What I am getting at is that while Wacom products are more expensive than their chinese alternatives and are not immune to failures, the phone and email customer support are solid and I don't have to worry about odd chinese drivers coming with their own hosts of problems. That also means that I can use both a Cintiq and an Intuos (pro or not) at the same time on the same machine, which has huge benefits since working on a display tablet alone can be very limiting. Without a doubt this is something to consider.

I hope this is of some help !
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    pior wrote: »

What I am getting at is that while Wacom products are more expensive than their chinese alternatives, the customer support is solid and I don't have to worry about odd chinese drivers coming with their hosts or problems. That also means that I can use both a Cintiq and an Intuos (pro or not) at the same time on the same machine, which has huge benefits since working on a display tablet alone can be very limiting. Without a doubt this is something to consider.

I hope this is of some help !

This X1000!

Wacom is more expensive, but you get more. Wacom will make up the cost difference over time in just bieng less of a hassle.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    oops, wrong thread
  • DireWolf
    hmm the price is only like 1/4 of Wacom. I can feel the urge myself.

Actually the Chinese alternative may be the only one I can afford on my own. Cintiq is out of league unless my Studio provides it.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I've heard a lot og good things abou the huion ones and i've been planning on getting one of those, there's no way i could afford a cintiq. And my intuos is slowly dying, i'm not a fan of pads anyway cause they just don't feel good for sketching.

I've had various tablets and i love drawing on most of those even if they're not as good as a wacom.

Also wacom's don't seem to support mounting arms...

As for missing models here, theres also these bosto tablets I heard about. They seem to be made to order.

http://www.bosto-tablet.com/models/
  • DireWolf
    ^
    ^
    $899 for a 22''... that's really interesting.
  • mafubash
    Offline / Send Message
    mafubash polycounter lvl 5
    I have heard a few complaints about Yinova. A friend of mine purchased the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-19-Inch-Interactive-Display-110707/dp/B00IACES94"]Monoprice interactive[/ame] and said it was alright, however I was told that for windows it doesn't support multiple displays it can only do mirrored.
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Why not buying a second handed Cintiq instead...? They are solid products, understand is a lot of money... but do what I did... second handed one... cheaper but still good... Mine is being working for 3 years now (apart from his old life)...no problems..
  • ichase
    Offline / Send Message
    ichase polycounter lvl 4
    Hello Everyone, I have an Ugee G5, Not sure their history of making products but it looked solid and when i received it i was further impressed with the quality. I have only been using it for 2D painting and it has been great. i went to go sculpt with it for the first time since using my Wacom bamboo and it will not function correctly in Mudbox. I am going to try it in zbrush tonight to see if it works in there and it may just be a mudbox issue.

Other than that everything is great, it has 2048 levels of pressure, 8g flash drive that you can transfer work from home to work or vice versa, it also has the drivers on that drive for if you are going to different computer or for whatever reason.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2JGJUA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00"]Amazon.com: Ugee G5 Graphics Drawing Pen Tablet with 8G Built-in Memory Chip (Black): Computers & Accessories[/ame]

My previous experience is an Wacom Bamboo, Intous (at work and school only) Turcom, Hiuon (which are the same company i guess) Ugee, and Panda City (work)

Bamboo - Old Old 1024 pressure tablet, got me through college and i loved it.

Intous - Favorite so far never a problem with it

Turcom / Hiuon - Grouping together because if they arent the same company, they are the exact same product. they are terrible, nothing is realtime, it lags. it also jumps, the pressure level is not there and its all around bad.

Ugee - Great for 2D still working on 3D will update soon.

Panda City - This is closest to a Cintiq screen. This is at work have not used it for hours and hours on end like others but from what i have used its great. great for the cost at least and work has had it for a while. the only dissapointment is you cannot pinch zoom, you have to use buttons to do so.

http://www.thepandacity.com/

also saving to purchase this if all goes well with the tablet [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Graphics-Drawing-Monitor-Protector-Pergear/dp/B00NL4P3Y0/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=174064319BWJZ53YFYB4"]Amazon.com: Ugee 19" Graphics Drawing Pen Tablet Monitor with Screen Protector and Pergear Clean Kit: Computers & Accessories[/ame]
  • javi
    Offline / Send Message
    javi polycounter lvl 16
    Parka Blogs has reviewed a few of the cintiq alternatives. I would probably stick to wacom myself.

http://www.parkablogs.com/tags/drawing-tablet-reviews
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the great insight guys, I'll end up getting a cintiq one way or another then.
    I tried a few of these. Build quality is usually pretty low compared to Wacom. Honestly just use an Intuos.

The reason I don't go for Intuous is because I don't really like using tablets that much, I use one at work.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    Just shell out the money for a cintiq, itll worth your while in the end.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Just shell out the money for a cintiq, itll worth your while in the end.

+10, or at least until the damn this is full of scratches.

Wouldnt mind seeing Microsoft get in to the game... they did acquire n-trig after all...and they have teamed up with Autodesk on the hololens product.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    if you are on a budget and can't justify spending the money on a Cintiq the Yiynova is good..I would try one out if you know someone with one..I use both (Wacom at the studio) and can't really tell the difference- besides the wacom pens are nicer and have a better weight ...I've had mine for about 2 years now and have never had an issue..same pen..I used it pretty heavily for freelance work...

Specifacally the: yiynova msp19u+

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-MSP19U-Monitor-Windows-Solution/dp/B009QQ7BG0"]Amazon.com: Yiynova MSP19U+ Tablet Monitor,VESA Stand(Mac & Windows Solution): Computers & Accessories[/ame]
  • ekim2016
    You should check out the new Monoprice interactive pen display thats coming out this month. i got to test it out and its pretty amazing check out the review i wrote here 

https://www.scribd.com/doc/297759319/2016-Monoprice-Interactive-Pen-Display-Review
  • walreu
    I have the Yiynova MVP22U v3 here at home and its been working great, i love it. Feels sturdy and simple to use. I dont really miss the fancy buttons Cintiqs have on the side, im comfy using keyboard. I use it daily on painting with photoshop for example. I've had couple minor tech problems with it, but nothing i couldnt fix really easily. Their customer service is btw outstanding, they always have replied to me the same day.
    Since you are looking a monitor for just personal projects and doodling around, i'd say go for a alternative, but just make sure you find a reliable store and product with awesome customer ratings..
  • nathdevlin
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    I'm all for Wacom alternatives after trying a few. I've been using a Bosto 22HDX for a good 18 months now and can honestly say it's a solid workhorse. Currently sculpting away in Zbrush with it :)
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I've been considering the Ugee myself but the only real reviews I can find of it are off Parka Blog by one person. Anyone else have experience with the 22" model?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I am gonna go to the Ugee for sure when I can afford it the reviews are solid and the price is great  and after I had my Intous 5 M pen break as it pretty much just fell apart when I accidentally opened the middle with pretty minimal force, I don't think a biro could have came apart so easy but the buttons fell off, coil wire which looked messily glued on came off tiny eraser spring flew off who knows where, and went back to my wacom bamboo which didn't have a scratch on it unlike my intuos 5, and didn't have that shitty glossy feel to it I had a pretty firm realization.

Wacom is not as good as it used to be, I am convinced now, that it used to be good, but corners were cut since then, money was saved, manufacturing quality has gone down and the price has stayed the same, I personally feel wacom is living on its reputation of yester year when nothing was on the market to challenge it.

so rather than pay £70 for a poorly constructed new intuos 5 pen which would be 1/4th the cost of an entire Ugee, so it just doesn't make sense not to give Ugee a shot at this point given my dissatisfaction the huge cost of the wacom brand and the overwhelmingly positive user reviews for the Ugee.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron said:
    I've been considering the Ugee myself but the only real reviews I can find of it are off Parka Blog by one person. Anyone else have experience with the 22" model?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_WQKG65ph8

not the 22 but still pretty solid review
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    shitty glossy feel
    um, are you really talking about the intuos 5? it's all matte and rubberized here.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp said:
    shitty glossy feel
    um, are you really talking about the intuos 5? it's all matte and rubberized here.
    Compare a wacom PTK-650 (intuos 5) against a CTH-460 which I believe is the Bamboo pen and touch, the feel is entirely different just was running my bamboo pen against both, the intuos 5 is so much slicker it's absurdly alien to the more paper like feel of the bamboo.

and this isn't the first time I have heard this either just the first time I had noticed it, I believe it is pre intuos 3 ? that still had that paper feel as I am sure I remember a concept artist talking about how it feels different to the newer models and they are becoming harder to buy.
  • battlecow
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    This is only me but unless the cintiq is at least 22'  it's just too small to work comfortably. It also has to be as smooth a wacom.
    I'd rather stick with an exellent monitor with good resolution and an intuos, I know it's great to work directly on the screen but this setup will enable you to produce the same quality results as with an expensive cintiq. To me it's better then any cintiq clone that has bad drivers or parallax problems with the pointer.
    An intuos and a nice 2k monitor with a good color setup will last your for years and always be spot on (and god damnit it feels so good to be able to have all the icons on the screen and still have a hudge worspace)
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    thomasp said:
    shitty glossy feel
    Compare a wacom PTK-650 (intuos 5) against a CTH-460 which I believe is the Bamboo pen and touch, the feel is entirely different just was running my bamboo pen against both, the intuos 5 is so much slicker it's absurdly alien to the more paper like feel of the bamboo.

and this isn't the first time I have heard this either just the first time I had noticed it, I believe it is pre intuos 3 ? that still had that paper feel as I am sure I remember a concept artist talking about how it feels different to the newer models and they are becoming harder to buy.
    i see you were talking about the feel of the surface, thought it was the overall appearance. :)
    ok, well i have no experience with bamboo's at all so far but have used intuos 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and in my opinion the surface changed towards more friction over time, perhaps peaking with the 4? not that i can confirm that right now but out of curiosity i just tested my spare intuos 3 against the 5 and it feels a lot slicker when used with the same pen (spring loaded nib, not the most resistant choice either). the older intuos 1 and 2 have even less resistance than the 3 series - i used one as my primary one for years until very recently.

• Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I know 3 peoples who bought an huion giving me the " it work so well it's like a cintiq but cheaper you brand whore" 1 broken after a years, impossible to get guarantee of shit, the 2 others had massive problem with drivers, lags, dead pixel etc.

If you really need a cintiq drop the money, else just buy an intuos. for most people cintiq isn't a need but a greed, be sure what it is for you and if you can afford the greed.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    It's a matter of need for me but i still can't afford one. 

Every time I've used a screen Tablet, Cintiqe or Ugee (just used one at GGJ16), even if the quality of the device is varying greatly my work process becomes so different and more confident. I'd definitely buy a Huion, Ugee, etc. before I buy another Wacom pad that's for sure.

It's central to me being able to work faster and more comfortably.