Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Nature`s Executioner (VickGaza)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
So I`ve decided to join and try to finish this one ! 

Story/Objective:
My goal is to at first glance, show a beast, blissfully eating a female hand.
At a closer look the beast will be surrounded by muddy pollution, metaphorically hinting that in fact it is humanity (the girl) that is "the beast" (through the effects of pollution), and that nature is "the beauty".
As much as we love and need nature, our weakness is how self centered we are - which might lead us to our undoing unless we accept who we are so that we can truly change. If we don`t - we die, more or less like the girl...

Creature notes:
Design a fatty creature from scratch  with 4 or 6 legs. (anything not bipedal)
On the evolutionary chain is at a transitional place between water and land. (can both swim and walk, but both are done badly/slowly)
Mostly based on Amazonian Cat fish - (Black/Cream and Oranges) , will borrow idea for scutes (imbedded crusty skin/scales) from the Armored Catfish.

That`s that, updates soon.
Vick.

EDIT:Current state of creature (scroll down for more shots/views/progress):

Replies

• vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so here`s some progress so far, feel free to feedback/suggest improvements even in this early stage as it will at least help me see things from a different perspective. 

Thanks,
    Vick.
  • DanBullockArt
    Nice idea already :)  Looking forward to following along with the process and seeing where you go with it!

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I love the direction you've got going in these paintovers, very nice! Looking forward to seeing this develop.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    rad silhouette.
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the kind words. To be honest I`m terrified for hitting the wall of anatomy issues :)) I want to make him fat and chubby, but also strong arms, but also fishy but also ... etc 
    Some more itteration ... thinking of not having too much material definition, thinking if I want to add any kind of armor / straps / etc on  him. 
    In the meanwhile feel free to give crit and suggestions and anything along those lines .Unsure at the moment if I want him to have legs or fins or both or none. If he has two fins he`ll be useless on land, if he has legs he`ll drown more than likely .Decisions decisions

• leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    looking good! this B in the last one works pretty well you want that mass of the neck to nicely flow into the belly i think
  • DavidMacias3D
    Great forms, I like where it's going. B barely wins over C for me, however, if you were push C further it could be awesome.
  • BenEvrard
    Offline / Send Message
    BenEvrard triangle
    Nice start vick, killing shape, good vibe for the contest!
  • DanBullockArt
    Really cool. Looks like he's taking on more of a lizard / komodo dragon form at the moment as opposed to being fishy. 
    In A it looks like he's dragging his body around with his big arms. B and C look better, but his legs might need to be bigger to support his large upper body? Just a thought :) Look forward to seeing more
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the suggestions,I really appreciate it !
    I woke up early today before work and crammed another hour and a half into it.
    I kept the back legs as fins and the front ones as legs. Thinking he uses the back fins complementary to the tail propulsion, and once he hits shallow water he uses hands to drag himself and the little feet as pivots in case he want to stretch upwards to reach something above his head. 

• aizekg
    Offline / Send Message
    aizekg polycounter lvl 3
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really gnarly already. I love the proportions of the lower jaw compared to the rest of the head. From above the silhouette of the tail is a bit boring, have you thought about making it shape a bit more curved, perhaps going wider before tapering in at the tip?
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Toby, I totally agree with the tail being boring, I`ll definitely need to address that asap. I haven`t had time to post updates but tonight I`ll bring the thread up to speed with the current state of the beast. Thanks again for taking the time to feedback. 
    Vick.
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't mentioned it Vick, can't wait to see more of this guy
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Boom! Drop for tonight, sorry for the stupid irrelevant text. But I was thinking it can`t hurt to show the process. 

Next:
    -apply tail feedback
    -bigger back fin - reduce comical proportions
    -try to add a sense of fatty tissue on the body but with more muscular arm (muscles will get progressively sharper around the deltoid/triceps area which will be the strongest point. )
    -might have to add some more muscles around infraspinatus/teresmajor so he can potentially extent hand backwards (not like a dog with movement in only one direction)
    -want to add a fin on the back again for balance underwater.
    -bone vs fat definition points

Ok that`s it, thanks for looking and again, thanks for the feedback !

• LeeCurt
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeCurt polycounter lvl 2
    I laughed :)
    The overall shape looks pretty solid to me. I know it's far from finish, but I feel like you lost a little bit of the weight definition you had with the first zsphere paintovers.

• vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed , I definitely straied a bit from the weight I had initially, I need to get back in somehow , thanks for the heads up 

This is the current state of the beastie, hope it`s getting better haha 

• BhushanArekar
    Offline / Send Message
    BhushanArekar polycounter lvl 11
  • artofkee
    I really like the last two posts you made. Esp the second to last one. I like the idea of it being bulky around the front. Think it looks cool (:
    What I'm not diggin so much are the forearms ;/ i think it doesn't transition well into its hands? I'm no beast expert though so don't have to take in what I say. XD But maybe it's worth having a think about that area a bit... or not... XD

Other than that it's looking well! Can't wait to see more (:
  • leoartz
    Offline / Send Message
    leoartz polycounter lvl 11
    Nice to see your work Vick, Looking great so far :wink: 
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the kind words and feedback ! I`ll post some more progress tonight/tomorrow woop woop ! 

@Kee I do agree there`s some funky stuff going on there, I`ll have to better define those muscles, reason why I haven`t touched them yet as I need to solve torso first , then will go down on arms :D Thanks for the crit :)
    Vick. 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looking good man!
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    HA.... I really dig this. Great Bulky beast. I love the addition of the flipper legs at the back. Not a huge fan of the forearms but you are onto that already.

Freud might have something to say to me here but, I think the head of the beast..... looks like the head of a penis. Which makes the whole creature look like deformed genitalia. I think it might be because there is a defined line separating the whole head from the body? Perhaps smoothing the top of his neck and adding a few extra chins might help. Having said all of that I seem to be the only one who is seeing this so maybe it just me.

Either way I really dig this entry and I am keen to see where you take it.

more please.
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA god dammit dude, it cannot be unseen !!! NOOO !

I do agree though, you are right, that separating line does make it feel a bit phallic. Will amend that, as for the forearms, yes I have to fix them broken arms up asap :D Luckily it`s the weekend !  
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha sorry :blush: 
    As a side note perhaps he could look cool with some spines around his jowls...like a pufferfish

I am keen to see what the weekend brings.
  • fantasymaster
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Developing well, keep it up.
  • Goolbegg
    Offline / Send Message
    Goolbegg polycounter lvl 3
  • borodin
    Offline / Send Message
    borodin polycounter lvl 4
  • armians
    Offline / Send Message
    armians greentooth
    Hey man! This is looking great so far. I agree with everyone's comments here. My take on why the forearm is not working at the moment is because it doesn't look like those tiny little fingers/fins (or what's it gonna be) need such a large muscle mass on the forearm. Maybe if it didn't look like huge muscles, but more like a fat arm instead, it would make more sense? Just my 2 cents. Can't wait for the updates!
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks all for the nice words and feedback ! I toned down the bulk of it a bit as it would have been impossible for him to be huge/fat and drag himself on land. I`m still having a bit of issue with the arms but I tend to like the direction, I plan to compensate it with some cool claws/palms. 

Anyway, I know it doesn`t look like a huge improvement for a whole weekend of work, but this is because I stayed away from the details and itterated on silhouette over and over again. I think I have at least 8-9 versions of it so far. I`ll post the steps sometime in the future. 
    So far this is what I got, penis head look still needs to be rezolved, though it`s growing on me ... get it ?! get it ? :)
    Vick.

• toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    The head is definitely looking a lot less phallic. The addition of the tongue is a really nice one, it being thin and curve contrasts a lot of the bigger shapes you've got in the rest of the design. I think the transition from the meety forearms to the hand still needs some more work. I like the size in the fingers in contrast to the rest of the arm, maybe it's because the flattens so abruptly that it looks weird, I'm not sure it's hard to establish whether it's an issue with the pose or the anatomy. The folds are looking suitably flabby and gross so well done on that :P
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man I hope it`ll turn out good :blush: 
    Also seeing that the forum thread is on another page I`m going to repost the image and add another render with multiple views so that it`s easier to crit :) 

• duncan
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tadow
    haha i love the arm coming out of his mouth
  • Cersei_Lannister
    Offline / Send Message
    Cersei_Lannister ngon master
    Looking good Vick, nice job!
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    This is looking great dude!

• vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you :D I hope I`ll have an easy week with work, so I can bring the design close to done by end of next weekend, after that I`ll dedicate 3 weeks to just detailing up and surfacing the skin so that I have a month left for the production part of it. Thanks again, I`m glad it`s going in a decent direction. Vick.
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Nice sculpt dude, love how gross his body looks :)
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    This is super nice! :D
  • BhushanArekar
    Offline / Send Message
    BhushanArekar polycounter lvl 11
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking so awesome, great concept. I'm loving the detail on the skin! 
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Here`s a short update. I`d really appreciate some feedback on which version looks better ?!?!which is less penis like ?!?!
    (I`ve laid them in a row orto side, ortho front and persp 3/4) .

Other changes:
    +changed hands (went through 5 variations lol)
    +changed body to head proportions - pushing realistic proportions a bit more aggressively

• Orsony
    Offline / Send Message
    Orsony polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good. One thing i liked more about the previous iterations was having the mouth sort of uplifted into that 'greedy' tight-lipped sort of jabba pose, or the weight that having it's head low and heavy gave it. Though the sharkish sort of profile from the front has some good personality. My 2 cents. 
  • ranek
    Offline / Send Message
    ranek polycounter lvl 8
    Killer. part komodo dragon part beast of burden. This is top notch stuff. Way cool Gaza.

• vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks so much for the input. This is the stage at which I`m at. Apart from head that might change a bit I think these are my final proportions. I might tweak and nudge here and there, but next I`ll focus on some secondary shapes. 

Also playing with the idea of a female face/tongue lure. He puts the tongue outside the water or from dark places to attract people who can barely notice the facial features, then BAM he gulps them. 

Thoughts and crit is always welcome :D Thanks, Vick.

• DanBullockArt
    Looking so cool man. Not sure how you're planning on getting the face tongue thing to work, seems a bit strange to me at this stage. But hey, if you've got a cool image in your head them run with it, I'd be intrigued to see how you'd do it. And if anyone can make it work... ;) keep up the good work Vick
  • Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    Sorry to point out the obvious here, but that face tongue should have hands and be playing a banjo.
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    @DanBullockArt heh yes, you are right the tongue is still an idea that is iffy, back and forth with that idea, might end up cutting it off might keep it not sure yet to be honest. For now getting the overall design done, which I`m fairly happy with.

This is the progress thus far :D I hope it`s taken a better turn

• Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Loving the new whiskers and tail man, awesome! Them back legs are crying for some attention though xD
    The expression on it's face is priceless now, it's like: "HAH, You fools have no idea what's in store!" :D
    Nice job, you're on fire!
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the kind words, I iterated so damn much up to this point with the design-ish of the creature.
    I`m incredibly inexperienced with everything non human, so this is a good exercise
    I`ll slowly move down to hand then legs and all the way down to tail soon :D 
    Thanks again,
    Vick.