Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 Transfer map Problems

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jose.fuentes interpolator
Hey Guys,

I am trying to bake out a diffuse map from a high poly to a low poly object.  The high poly is using a MIA material-x for all of its diffuse and spec info.  When I try to bake it out, the color maps come in completely black.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Replies

• kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    You can render a regular single frame with Mental Ray right?
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde said:
    You can render a regular single frame with Mental Ray right?
    yes, but I'm trying to render out a texture map, not a frame 
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I know you are. Just wanted to make sure your Mental Ray plugin was the correct version.

To be honest I never figured out how to set the option to use Software/Mental Ray renderer using transfer maps. Sorry.
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde said:
    I know you are. Just wanted to make sure your Mental Ray plugin was the correct version.

To be honest I never figured out how to set the option to use Software/Mental Ray renderer using transfer maps. Sorry.
    No worries  :) Hopefully someone will help out and we can both learn how to properly do it!
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    After reading this, I tried a bit around.
    I was able to bake out a lit and textured mia material, a normal map and an AO map, all are in 16 bit, if thats what youre after.
    I couldnt render "diffuse color" or "lit and shaded color", I guess that works only with Maya Shaders. For lit and shaded i used sucessfully the custom map option, where i pointed to my mia material.
    For custom and AO I chose tif with 16 Bits and the Mental Ray common options.
    For the normal map, i chose EXR as the file format, to get 16 bit maps (and maya uses MR because the maya renderer cant render to EXR). Unfortunately "include Materials" doesnt work, use a maya material for baking bumpmaps additionally to your highpoly
    It worked without turning on "Maya Derivates" deep in the legacy options, as the help document suggests..
    For an unshaded diffuse pass, why not use a Maya shader, there should be not difference...
    EDIT: I use Maya 2016..

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, ill give custom map a shot and see what i come up with.

Thanks!
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    still no go, i tried using the custom map option

I do get an error when i try to select the MIA material x option 

Im also on maya 2016

• warrenblyth
    just in case it's relevant : i had this same problem (every transfer map working except Diffuse - which came out black). turned out the problem was i hadn't setup UVs on my target mesh. once i setup it's UVs, it took several minutes to sample the surface for the new texture (whereas before it was failing to black almost instantly).