Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter Symmetry Axis not updating

CharacterCarl
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
CharacterCarl greentooth
I know that the symmetry axis is based on the center of the bounding box of the object, not the origin, which, so far, has done nothing but introduce problems for me, like in the following example:

After doing some texturing work, I noticed my symmetry axis was wrong because of an asymmetrical model. I went ahead and moved all elements to the center to make it symmetrical and re-imported it into Painter. However, no change on the symmetry axis:

To test it further, I exported a symmetrical bounding box ontop of the model and put it into SP, to no avail:

Even moving it far away from the center wouldn't change the symmetry axis:

I noticed that starting a new project gives me the correct axis. Unfortunately, there is no way to retrieve the layers from the other project, so all texturing work is lost:

My Question is:
Is there any way to force Substance to update the symmetry axis without creating a new project from scratch? Or, even better, a rough estimate on when the option to change the location of the axis manually (to world origin, for example) will be implemented?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We will look into the symmetry issue. In the meantime, you can save your texturing as a smart material and then load it back in your new project to avoid losing previous work.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The bounding box is only updated if while re-importing the mesh you disable the "preserve strokes" setting. Having this setting enabled means we don't recompute a new bounding box but instead stretch it.
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    @Jerc : Thanks. I tried saving it as a smart material and applied it onto my new project but it messed up all the masks (all necessary texture maps were loaded).

No big deal though: In the meantime, I just completed it without symmetry, as this asset, luckily, didn't need a very elaborate texturing job.

@Froyok : Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, turning off the "Preserve Strokes" setting didn't change anything. Again, new project with the same (symmetrical) model works fine. I remember having the same issue one or two weeks ago with another asset. In that instance I had gotten it to work but couldn't remember how. Must have been that exact setting which worked in that case. :wink: 
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Any update on the symmetry front?