Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eomer - realtime character(sort of)

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
nimlot26 polycount lvl 666
Hello polycounters. For those of you that haven't seen the progress on this one here's my final shots for Eomer.
Roughly 170k triangles(80k only the god damn hair).
3 texture sheets 8k for the body, 4k for the face and 4k for the hair.
I hope you'll enjoy it. :blush:

Replies

• SmilingMountain
    Offline / Send Message
    SmilingMountain polycounter lvl 7
    Wow this is just awesome, not really anything much to critique, not sure if you're looking for any, especially from a hobbyist like me. The only thing that's bothering me slightly is the fact the front of the helmet seems to kind of merge into his forehead, I feel like there should be more of a gap there. Looking at pictures of him his face seems to sit a little further back inside the helmet. That's being really nit picky though. Really awesome and inspiring work!
  • nimlot26
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this is just awesome, not really anything much to critique, not sure if you're looking for any, especially from a hobbyist like me. The only thing that's bothering me slightly is the fact the front of the helmet seems to kind of merge into his forehead, I feel like there should be more of a gap there. Looking at pictures of him his face seems to sit a little further back inside the helmet. That's being really nit picky though. Really awesome and inspiring work!

Thanks. Yeah...you're right....in the movie Karl Urban had a leather protection there between his forehead and the helm but I failed to see it in time...I was way too far with the texture to go back and make room on uvs for another leather part.
  • SmilingMountain
    Offline / Send Message
    SmilingMountain polycounter lvl 7
    nimlot26 said:

Thanks. Yeah...you're right....in the movie Karl Urban had a leather protection there between his forehead and the helm but I failed to see it in time...I was way too far with the texture to go back and make room on uvs for another leather part.
    I don't think it's that noticeable tbh, just me really nit picking. Out of interest would 170k tris, and that amount of texture resolution be around the norm for a realtime character nowadays? I only ask since you said it's "sort of" realtime. I'm pretty out of the loop as far as workflow goes, but I'm going to have a go at doing some current gen work soon, and was wondering what kind of count I should aim for.
  • nimlot26
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's that noticeable tbh, just me really nit picking. Out of interest would 170k tris, and that amount of texture resolution be around the norm for a realtime character nowadays? I only ask since you said it's "sort of" realtime. I'm pretty out of the loop as far as workflow goes, but I'm going to have a go at doing some current gen work soon, and was wondering what kind of count I should aim for.
    Neah...not really. Right now not even 4k textures are used for games(or quite rarely). As far as the polycount there are some games out there that are quite close to that number....tho it will take 1-2 more years to get stuff like this all over the place. In the end I could optimize the hair and reduce the polycount somewhere close to 120k and I can always downsize my textures. Probably in a top game right now this character would have had something like 2k textures and 80k triangles.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    IMO the polygon count on the hair sounds a bit overkill, since it's not much as a center of the attention of the character. But oh well... I have a WIP character roughly 130k tris without the hair. So, maybe it's not an overkill after all. :smiley:

Great job on the definiton of materials. Even though the colours could be tad more distinctive, a bit more saturated maybe?
  • nimlot26
    Offline / Send Message
    IMO the polygon count on the hair sounds a bit overkill, since it's not much as a center of the attention of the character. But oh well... I have a WIP character roughly 130k tris without the hair. So, maybe it's not an overkill after all. :smiley:

Great job on the definition of materials. Even though the colors could be tad more distinctive, a bit more saturated maybe?
    Of course the hair is a bit overkill but I wanted it too look as good as it can....it's a portfolio piece anyway. There is room for a lot of optimization.
    Regarding the colors....ur right and they are...but using fog and some blue light in marmoset they got a bit tempered. Anyway...I've worked a long time on this one and I don't think I want to modify anything on it  too soon :smile: 
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Fantastic job! And he could well be real time in the right engine. Ryse: Son of Rome's main character had 150k polys in realtime. 
  • CobaltUDK
    Offline / Send Message
    CobaltUDK polycounter lvl 5
  • nimlot26
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic job! And he could well be real time in the right engine. Ryse: Son of Rome's main character had 150k polys in realtime. 
    Thanks. I know there are some games that have characters with high polycount tho 8k textures are still something they don't use right now.
    CobaltUDK said:
    Impressive.
  • nimlot26
  • nimlot26
    Offline / Send Message

I've uploaded all the files from Eomer project for you guys to check it out on my gumroad. Thanks again for supporting my art! The breakdown/tutorial will come soon so please let me know if you have questions that you would like me to answer in it.

https://gum.co/OSLhn

• omneom
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    How the heck did I miss this, the work is insane, getting this on gumroad. 
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    For 4K maps there's not much prominent detail in the face I.e wrinkles, pores, etc, and the color feels real flat and bloomy. If you're trying to make this a portfolio piece intakes of a game art piece id do another pass on that. 
  • nimlot26
    Offline / Send Message
    ibrahim said:
    i saw the replay on youtube , its 5 years ago
    i have no clue what you're saying but this one was finished a few days ago. You probably talk about my old self portrait....that was done in another era and it has nothing to do with this one ;)

• nimlot26
    Offline / Send Message

The breakdown/tutorial for Eomer is up for sale.

https://gumroad.com/l/zPkg#

As you can see in the cover photo I'm explaining a bit my high poly workflow including a detailed tutorial for the chain mail. Also I explain some things about how the hair was made. I would have liked to go into more details but the little time I have forced me to answer in this tutorial to the most asked questions about my character.

The tutorial includes the marmoset scene and the full size textures, obj files for the chain mail base mesh and some 3ds max files with the hair.
    I hope you'll enjoy it.