Home General Discussion

How to trust programmers you meet on the Internet

I wanted to share a story.

A while back, I came across this thread: http://polycount.com/discussion/131330/blubber-busters-looking-for-programmers. A couple of super talented artists wanted to find a programmer to partner with. From a few email exchanges with them, I think they decided to go without a programmer, and just learn to program themselves, because they couldn't figure out a way to trust a programmer over the Internet to not steal their art or steal the revenues from the game. They're right to be cautious, there's really no enforcement of trust that works over the internet.

Until now...

I'm trying to gauge interest in building a platform to solve this problem. I think it would be great to have a website where you can specify digital contracts, and have them be "self enforcing." For example, if you want to split the profits of your game with a programmer, specify that in a contract, and point the Steam, App Store, etc, accounts at the endpoint for your contract on this website, and the website will automatically deposit the right amount in everybody's bank account whenever checks arrive. No need to trust your 15 year old Romanian programmer to get all the money into his checking account, and then send you the right amount. You could also specify voting control over changes to digital assets, and the website can generate legally binding contracts underneath all the digital stuff in case someone really tries to screw you over.

I put up a landing page: http://jointhepolis.com/

Leave your email address on the site if you're interested! If I get a critical mass of interested people, I'll build the site.

- Keenon

Replies

• MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, just here to make things clear on the situation for our game that you mentioned. We never decided to do all the programming ourselves, but we did have some trouble finding programmers that were a good fit and would work with us the way we needed. We have 2 very dedicated programmers on the project now and they're awesome people! We never had any concerns about getting revenue or art stolen since we have contracts in place, so I'm sorry if there was a miscommunication somewhere. :)
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    How did you end up finding these 2 guys, if you don't mind me asking?
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor polycounter lvl 13
    lefix said:
    How did you end up finding these 2 guys, if you don't mind me asking?
    We found one through the Unity forums and another through a friend that's works on indie games. :) Though, I'd highly recommend finding someone through connections rather than randomly online.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    This strikes me as a little shady: "point the Steam, App Store, etc, accounts at the endpoint for your contract on this website, and the website will automatically deposit the right amount in everybody's bank account whenever checks arrive"

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the only way to handle that right now would be if your company intercepts the direct payments, deposits it in YOUR name (not theirs), and then divides it up (while you take a fee, of course)...which means now instead of trusting an individual they have worked with..someone who at least has stake in the project and an incentive to maintain a good relationship...now they have to trust YOU...someone they know even LESS...someone unrelated to the project, ...and someone who's MORE likely to have competent legal defense on their side, and MORE accounting saavy than they do (at least you should, since facilitating the legal and accounting process is an essential part of your business model here).

There already IS a system in place for ensuring trust; one that involves clear contracts, audit clauses in the contract and the threat of litigation...is this system cheaper than a lawyer? (I would hope so) Is it more reliable? What happens when (not if) your system misinterprets what's written in a contract, despite even having the world's best automation.

If a developer is concerned about trust at ALL then the appropriate advice is not "let an app handle this for you"....it should be "make sure you don't cut corners on the contract/lawyer". Answer the concerns there, at that point. A contract is, at it's heart, built around the idea of making sure everyone is on the same page--so if you can't negotiate a fair contract...you probably won't be able to work together fairly either.

And, likewise, there already are a lot of solutions for payroll and companies to handle auto-dividing royalties. Is this service cheaper than those?

From a tech standpoint, what does the team do when they start selling on a storefront that isn't compatible with your service (yet)? Or one that refuses to send YOU the check (I can already tell you, there's a decent chance Steam would likely take issue with this if you actually got to be decently big). Would the developers maintain a separate set of records for non-compatible stuff anyway? Do you resolve VAT tax stuff where applicable?

I apologize if I'm sounding overly cynical, as I do think there's something sort of compelling about auto-dividing royalties from a central location..but I just don't think this service is probably the best idea for most teams.

• Eric Chadwick
    I'm closing this duplicate thread. Sorry we didn't catch this earlier. Feel free to continue the discussion in the other one (http://polycount.com/discussion/163565/how-to-trust-programmers-you-meet-on-the-internet#latest). Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.