Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fighting Knife - Low Poly

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
It's up on Sketchfab now.  :smiley: 

*CURRENT PROGRESS*

Texturing is done, I'm happy with it for now.  I still want to lower the poly-count a bit, but it's time to move on.

*First Update*

Hi Polycounters!

I've started a small knife to practice with and I could use some feedback.  

Here's reference(all photos taken by me so they may not be the best):

Here's my current progress, most work was done in 3DS Max(A little ZBrush on the cord wrap, and a little Blender for retopo):

My plan is to use the UV mapping on the spline for the cord to wrap a good braided cord texture on it and bake that out to the low poly.  The high is about 600k tris, and the low is a but under 2000 tris.  I could probably go a either little higher or lower on the low-poly, but I'm happy with it for now.  I left the "tail" as tubes still, I think I'm going to make the knots as solid geo to bake onto rather than leaving them.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I feel you could clean up the lowpoly a lot more, but if you're happy with it...
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The edges on the high-poly won't bake down well at all, they're far too sharp. Softening those up will help it read well. Otherwise, looks fine. There are some places you could cut down on the polycount of the low (notably, the rope lanyard), but nothing too crazy.
  • echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern  and @JoopsonThanks!  Yeah, the poly count can go much lower.  The "tail" and knots are more than the rest of the knife(blade and handle wrap combined), which I need to take down.  I was thinking about leaving it and moving on and hoping that it wouldn't bug me, but now it is.  I'll fix it in a bit.

As far as the edges not reading well...  I suppose I could use to soften them up a little, but they seem to read well enough as is.  Here's the results in 3DO:

And a quick bump map on the cord wrap:

Even from a distance it does break down, but so does the whole model:

I'm going to start texturing it for now, see how it turns out. 
  • echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the normal map: 

• echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to texture it, using Quixel Suite 2.0, Unity 5 Metallic workflow.  Assigned basic materials to start with, The speckle in metal will be interesting, as will the ware.  I played around with a few of the presets, here are the results(surprisingly fun):

Now that I got that out of my system, time to start some real texturing.
  • echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright!  I think it's done for now!