Home Technical Talk

Warped UV's in maya when creating cylindrical objects

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to UV an object I am working on and running into a few issues. I have a cylindrical object that is more complex than just a cylinder. Every time I try and create the UV's with any type of mapping they always come out distorted as seen in the image. I am not sure how to lay these out in order for them to appear straight and correct. any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    I see no issue here - this is how it is supposed to work.
    The waving that you get is due to not having enough divisions around the Y-axis. Every quad face you have gets triangulated - even if you do not see it, and that in combination with the fact that the ring has a smaller radius at the top compared to the bottom results in waving.

There are two ways to solve this: Either you add more divisions around the object, or you triangulate the quads and manually flip the diagonal edges (testing to see which way gives you the least waving). Though in your case I doubt that the latter solves this as your mesh has a very uniform shape (at least radially). 

A third option that you can try on other shapes meshes, when this problem occurs, is to select all UV's except the border ones and do a relax.

Last but not least: Maya's native UV tools are garbage so I suggest getting a third-party tool. The tool I've created (below in my signature) is free to use for non-commercial purposes, and offers a whole lot of more features than what you get in the default editor.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    double - delete
  • Wulfmundr
    Thank you for your help!!! I got the UV's to stop warping and your tool is absolutely amazing. Thank you again!
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    You are welcome :)