Home Featured Artwork

Hand painted environment - Wood house

Replies

• jhtakalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhtakalo polycounter lvl 3
    I just had to register only to comment that this is my favourite thread in the whole world.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    this is looking amazing
    everything blends so nicely together
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    Thanks everyone!

@AMIRABD2130 Thank you!
    @PERZIK Hi! thanks for liking :)
    @TIMTIMSALABIM thank you!
    @ARTBYCHIEN Hi, i'm glad to hear that. Well, I study very much, you can try to copy the artstyle from artists that you like, after sometime, you will be able to do your own style...  and practice everyday. About the artist that I like hummm..... Let me think..... Ok, here is some of them, Shem Dawson, Csaba baity, Arthur Gimaldinov, Fanny Vergne and Jessica Dinh, of course there are many other. :)
    @THECRAZYDEMOMAN haha hey, it is not better them Diablo, each one have a different style :) Good luck on your project!

Here is the light setup, as you can see there is nothing special. My scene is very simple, if this looks nice, it's bacause the painting, integration, shapes, colors etc..
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/IVowpWX.jpg[/img]

@CB3D Thank you!
    @KARO haha I'm glad you joined here because of this, I hope you like the next ones. Thanks
    @VINCENTM Thank you!
    @MRGESY Hi, firtly thanks for liking. It's a interesting point to discuss, because, there are many possibilities to try, and a lot of them looks good.. my initial idea is to do something with fog like that and avoit dark shadows like in your exemple, but in the end I will see what works better with all elements together, I will remember of your exemple. thanks!
    @JAMIERIOT Hi, I think this is not all this thing you said haha. Thanks man!
    @JHTAKALO Hahah tank you very much man!
    @SNOWINCHINA Thank you very much!

Hey guys! Finally the house, the main element of this environment! So, this time I have a texture update, the house blockouts and the mushrooms!

About the house, probably will change until the end, add some details here and there, but this is the main structure, what do you guys think? it's cool?

The materials will be mostly wood, like the name of this thread says "wood house". maybe with some parts of stone or metals, but it is just details.

I hope you like!

• karo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work and really beautiful house
    i am very interested to see the texture for the house

• MingoXMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MingoXMX vertex
    One of the best hand painted works i have seen no doubt!
  • Fitblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fitblood polycounter lvl 9
    Damn I really love this style. Can't wait to see the house.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Great work here, really liking the whole texture work and the scene! Regarding the house, it's hard to tell now because the advanced mesh you've showed is not being rendered at the same angle as the final in-engine scene. I'm saying this because right now the silhouette does work and you have some variation but maybe from a top down view it won't read as well. I'm sure you're going to nail the texture work so make sure the shapes and silhouette of the building are to that level too! (I'm not saying it's not,just double check your current one in engine and see how it works :) )

Looking forward to seeing this finished!
  • wakkamis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wakkamis polycounter lvl 15
    Subbed! Definitely like whats going on here! 
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    @KARO Thanks!
    @MINGOXMX haha Ok if you say so.... Thanks!
    @FITBLOOD Thanks, The house is coming very soon.
    @SUGUS thanks for your observation, I will make sure it works well in the scene, I'm always checking this kind of thing. Thanks :)
    @WAKKAMIS Thanks!
  • Discmage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This scene is AMAZING! I wish I could download your skills into my own as I have a game in mind similar to this view and style. I just never have the time to practice due to other projects. Keep up the great work! :)
  • MattyWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    Discmage said:
    This scene is AMAZING! I wish I could download your skills into my own as I have a game in mind similar to this view and style. I just never have the time to practice due to other projects. Keep up the great work! :)
    You could buy his skills instead;

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/49329
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Yes! Buy his skills!

Looking great Antonio.

My only concern is that at the current camera angle I feel that the house/cabin is too short and will hide everything under the roof on the right side, you could possible make the walls higher to fix this, but it's only a suggestion.

Great to see more progress and I look forward to more!
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    @Discmage Yeah, manthe is no way to donload the skills, maybe in the future, but while we are not there, we need to study :)
    MATTYWS haha yes, feel free to buy my stuff!
    87ROACH Hi mate, yes, I understand your concern... I will work on the area very soon, I will check this, but I don't want to make the walls taller, the angle of the house is not the final anyways... So, maybe it changes. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,  I have part of the left side of the house done, just the door actually, and the rocks. I will post some steps that I did, those are not perfect as I wanted , but I think that is it for now! I will come back very soon with more things. 

Some of you are asking about the angle of the elements, this images that I'm posting are not the final angle, maybe until the end it changes, so don't worry :)

I hope you like the new things.

• St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Those shrooms look great. I love how you are working the hat silhouette with the texture.
  • mr_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_
    Oh, nice! This just getting better and better. Also, thank you for sharing your work-flow. It keeps us folks motivated! :)
  • karo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good work and thanks for showing the steps yud did to create the stuff
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    @St4lis  
    MR_ 
    KARO  
    Thank you very much guys!

• Julien Noel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool stuff here! It looks very nice and natural !
    I like the way tou blended things together, well done !
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Antonio, beautiful stuff, really inspiring! :)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Very very very beautiful! :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Great work so far.  One thing I'll note is that the top of the wall isn't evident to me.  The top row of rocks just kind of blends in and looks more like an alpha plane than a 3d object.  Maybe a highlight on the edge or some brightness on the top could help?  In any case, this work has been awesome.  Keep it up.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Fantastic Work, look forward to seeing more :D
  • sim725
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sim725 polycounter lvl 7
    I just signed in for the like the first time since I made my account. I just wanted to say I love your style and am following this thread, cant wait to see even more progress!
  • TheOneKnownAsMe
    Updates on the house look great. I must say, I'm still in love with those trees, they're absolutely fantastic. Great work!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome stuff, looks great. 
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    Hey @JULIEN NOEL Good to see you here! Thanks for liking!
    @AERASHI Thak you very much!
    @GAZU Thank you very much!
    @PRAETUS Thanks for liking, yeah, I know what you mean, the light is too subtle, I think some brightness on the top like you said, should fix this, thanks for notice :)
    @OPTINIUM Thanks, you will see more very soon!
    @SIM725 Thank you very much, the next update is coming :)
    @THEONEKNOWNASME Thanks, yeah, i like the trees too, lets see how it would be with the house!
    @MOOSE thanks man, I did see some of your work, looks awesome!

Hey everyone, Sorry late reply, I'm here now, and i'm here to finish this! yeah!! well, this is what I want to try, finish until the end of the year.. It will be tough, but I will try... lets see what happens.... So, the next update will come next week! See you there!

:)
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    thanks for the step-by-step-images! <3
  • cesarinm7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cesarinm7 polycounter lvl 4
    :O :O excellent work.. congrats dude, keep posting more wips.... the terrain texture are awesome but, how did you do to blend the textures on the mesh? is it a simple plane mesh with no deformation? thanks man. 
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    @SIMONT Thanks man :)
    @CESARINM7 Thanks man!, no, there is no deformation on the mesh, the blend in some objects happens thanks to the colors, specially on the trees, the blend with the terrain is very good, I just tried to use similar colors for the terrain and for the lower part of the trees.

Hey guys, I'm back... for this update is just the side of the house, the texture is wip but is almost ready. About the colors, I'm testing what is better, so maybe it changes until the end :)  I will come back in a few days, see you soon. :)

• Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    Interesting. I was looking for references on how people do their handpainted glass windows.
  • cesarinm7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cesarinm7 polycounter lvl 4
    @antonionieves thanks for your answer. I did a mistake in my comment, I was referring to the terrain planes mesh, and how you achieved the texture blend on the terrain base mesh. Also, great work with the hand painted windows and I like a lot the feel and colors at the house entrance.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, house looks amazing! cant wait to see the final thing.
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    @SWEETANGEL0467 Hi, I'm not totally happy with the window, maybe it will change until the end, I don't know, also, I want to do a windows with light insite, to use in the night scene.
    @CESARINM7 Hi, the terrain, is a tool from unreal engine, it is not sinple planes.. so, that tool makes possible to paint on it, there is no secret, of couse to blend nicely, you need to do in photoshop all seamless.
    @LOTET Thanks, we are almost in the final i think, after the house I will make some improvments in some elements and the BG.

Hey everyone, I hope you all had a great christmas! 

I have just a little update, but important, the roof! I'm doing adjusts with the woods around, to see what works better. Also I'm sharing the painting process. See you soon guys.

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice work, especially the shingles are looking awesome.

For the stretching, based on what you aim for I think you can get away with it. Maybe you cn also create the texture for a medium size board and then strecht it for the bigger and compress it for the smaller. Not sure if this will work better
  • wgarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wgarts polycounter lvl 3
    @AntonioNeves as always gorgeous work man. Im digging following your progress through this development. I did have a question...How long does it take you to complete the texturing of any particular object? For sake of example the roof of the house.
  • < ASH >
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    < ASH > polycounter lvl 13
    I haven't checked the thread in a while ...  :D

Of the new stuff I really love the lumber mill (both model and textures) and the house textures (wooden surfaces, windows and roof details).
    I am not a big fan of the rock wall though: don't get me wrong the texture looks amazing (as always your textures do) but I feel that you can use some more polygons to get a better silhouette. :)

Other than that I can't see any other issue: great job Antonio. Keep it up !  ;)
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome roof texture Antonio!!!
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    @DETHLING Hi man, thanks for the tip, but I just created a new texture for a long piece of wood :)
    @WGARTS Hi, how much time I spent? It depends of couse, but in general it not takes too much time, maybe two hour for the roof texture. but I can do a little bit today and finish tomorrow, haha I'm a bit crazy. Thanks for the comment
    @&lt; ASH > Hey man, yeah, I can undestand what you said and I agree, but you saw that wall alone, with no complements. Now in the house with everything else helping to compound, it looks better, dont you think? :) Thanks for the comment.
    @TURPEDO Hi Kelvin, thanks a lot! yeah, I like the roof too, more than other parts, lets see how it will look in the entire scene! Thanks for the comment! :)

Happy new year everyone! Thanks for everything.

The cabin/house is finally ready, I did some colors correction adding more warm colors, It was an advice from some of you and I notice that, I think worked better with all that green in the scene. 

Now I need to finish the envoronment around it, I want to improve the stones, from far they are good , but looking close it can be better.... also I want to improve the BG, its pretty bad, I'm studying how to do it better... Ok, that's it! See you soon guys.

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This is a masterful job. Absolutely stellar.
  • wgarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wgarts polycounter lvl 3
    @AntonioNeves

Okay, so I see you finished the cabin. First of all I will state the obvious, it is beautiful. Hands down gorgeous man, great work. I do have another question that came to mind if you don't mind?

When taking on a piece like the cabin (from top to bottom, logs. lumber, rocks, everything) are the textures here comprised of a bunch of seamless textures or is there a big cabin main UVW that has the UV map with all the topology?

Solid work Mate. 
  • Harford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harford polycounter lvl 7
    I love your texture painting. It's making me want to do something hand painted and I have soooo much else to do :( .. I hope you're happy!
  • zug zug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zug zug ngon master
    Antonio you are damn good! Awesome work!
  • Mimiws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimiws polycounter lvl 6
    To much awesomeness! I hope I can do some hand-painted stuff too. I'm so jelly right now. Great work! :)
  • bradhb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d polycounter lvl 8
    Really great job! Looks really awesome!
  • TaylorTORMENT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing, amazing work! Truly inspirational :smiley: 
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Love your work. Really inspired!
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    The house turned out fantastic Antonio! Awesome job as everyone else has stated, and thanks a lot for the brief texture progress sheets, very cool to see!

I must comment the actual house model/physical construction. As a former worker who has worked intimately on actual log homes I have to point out that the corner joints are incorrect. The logs are staggered and stacked on one another, the current way you have it is a very unnatural representation. * See Pic *

Very much looking forward to seeing the entire scene, such damn good job here! PogChamp!!!! (twitch users unite!)
  • wgarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wgarts polycounter lvl 3
    87roach said:
    The house turned out fantastic Antonio! Awesome job as everyone else has stated, and thanks a lot for the brief texture progress sheets, very cool to see!

I must comment the actual house model/physical construction. As a former worker who has worked intimately on actual log homes I have to point out that the corner joints are incorrect. The logs are staggered and stacked on one another, the current way you have it is a very unnatural representation. * See Pic *

Very much looking forward to seeing the entire scene, such damn good job here! PogChamp!!!! (twitch users unite!)
    Valid input I am sure, as you are more so the expert on cabin structures. But this is the artists world. A beautiful world at that. Let's not pick and prod at what was structurally incorrect. While your work is very beautiful as well (I checked out some of your posts, gorgeous work friend!) I am sure there are incorrect "real world" applications there as well. 
  • hassensamaali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hassensamaali polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, very nice work.
    How you did to stay focused on your project and not get lost in the search for elements for the environment?
    Keep going i like your topic and your work.
  • KeirKieran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    wgarts said:
    Valid input I am sure, as you are more so the expert on cabin structures. But this is the artists world. A beautiful world at that. Let's not pick and prod at what was structurally incorrect. While your work is very beautiful as well (I checked out some of your posts, gorgeous work friend!) I am sure there are incorrect "real world" applications there as well. 
    Nah, he's not picking. The artist's model is built in a way that these joints can be fixed by just nudging a few bits. If this was mine, I'd want that pointed out. That's one of those things that you miss cus you've been looking at it too long and you need an outside pair of eyes to catch it. That's one of the main reasons to post stuff on a board like this.

And of course, awesome work, ANTONIONEVES.