Home General Discussion

x men age of a apocalypse

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
quick question(s)
1. Anyone know what time th trailer is coming out today?
2. Has the look for Apocalypse been changed? i'm really hoping he doesnt look like Ivan ooze any more haha. 

Replies

• Fuiosg
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    wow, that looks mad corny. 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Looks great, I think.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I would have preferred the Rock over Oscar Isaac, his stature just isn't intimidating.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    @slipsius
    - What do you like about it? I was excited until I saw a few things in this trailer. What are your thoughts?

@FUIOSG
    - I think any bigger person would do, however this may be a fantastic apocalypse. I mean look at how ole ledger did the Joker. that turned out pretty ok
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Shite. Utter shite. And the Apoc voice is awful.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Story sounds intriguing but the rest is just your usual trailer 
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    apart from the apoc voice and design not feeling powerful enough i really enjoy the trailer
    story seems interesting, characters look pretty cool overall (love that storm)

much more interested in this than before.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looks decent. I really loved Days of Future Past, so I'm honestly pretty optimistic, even though nothing in this trailer really got me too excited. A bit disappointed in the look of Apocalypse, but oh well. The shot of him growing was pretty badass though, I hope we get to see more of that.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Looks like Singer got carried away with the green screen.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Very slick. It has the look of a really good video game,... I'm in!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    They definitely took the critique about he Apocalypse voice to heart, had an interesting new tweak in the latest trailer.  Pretty excited for this one, they have done a great job on the recent X-Men movies, IMO much darker and hard hitting than the Marvel series (where they went for more of a lighthearted, action packed approach).  Expecting this to be even better than the past of the series, sad there wont be any Wolverine, but hey! Can't have it all I guess. 
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r said:
    They definitely took the critique about he Apocalypse voice to heart, had an interesting new tweak in the latest trailer.  Pretty excited for this one, they have done a great job on the recent X-Men movies, IMO much darker and hard hitting than the Marvel series (where they went for more of a lighthearted, action packed approach).  Expecting this to be even better than the past of the series, sad there wont be any Wolverine, but hey! Can't have it all I guess. 
    So true dude, I'm gonna miss that bub lol. But who knows maybe we'll get a cool cameo or something.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://youtu.be/Jer8XjMrUB4
    Fuck I'm excited!! Also your dreams come true at the end;)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Dude.  Nice.  
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ahhhhhhhhh!!!! cant wait
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I just watched this and honestly found it to be more enjoyable than BVS and the latest Avengers.

A few quirky things I noticed at the start were cool little tweaks to the 20th century Fox logo scene, where the music has an x-men themed tweak at the end and the "X" is the last to fade out. I also got a very Dr Who vibe from the intro (you'll see what I mean).
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It wasn't bad, but I did feel that several questionable decisions were made vis-a-vis the story. I won't go too deep into these, as they would require some fairly significant spoilers.

Bottom line, imagine the most generic take on the character of apocalypse, and the most generic solution for the X-Men to deal with that character. That's the movie in a nut-shell. For someone who is wholly unfamiliar with the X-Men, this might not be much of an issue. For me, it made the entire movie quite predictable. Almost painfully so. There were no clever re-imaginings or interesting takes on the characters.

That said, I did like some of the actual performances. Despite having a fairly uninteresting version of Apocalypse to play, I felt that Oscar Isaacs did a fine job with the material he was working with. The returning cast was generally good. The new up-and-coming young actors were considerably more hit-and-miss. Sansa-Grey was decent, but not great. Young Cyclops started off well enough, but got progressively more irritating as the film wore on.

One of the more by-the-numbers X-Men entries. Not completely without merit, but also not rising to the heights of some of the series better entries.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Just by watching the first minutes you know it will be awesome, definitely worth watching enjoyed every second of it.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
     Young Cyclops started off well enough, but got progressively more irritating as the film wore on.

That pretty much sums up my feeling with cyclops in general though. not so much the actor, just the character in the comic books has always annoyed me.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    RaptorCWS said:
    That pretty much sums up my feeling with cyclops in general though. not so much the actor, just the character in the comic books has always annoyed me.
    Yeah, Cyclops has never been one of the better characters. There isn't a lot of exploration there that doesn't get obnoxious.

The opening sequence of the film is very puzzling for me. Taken on its own, the sequence is immensely entertaining. Honestly, it's one of the better parts of the film. But where the opening sequence ends up is actually rather disappointing, and doesn't do the character of apocalypse any favours. So you have this very entertaining sequence that unfortunately ends up making the primary antagonist seem like a bit of a punk. Changing up how that resolved itself would have probably been a good idea.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    My biggest problem with this, and i'll admit i haven't seen the movie yet (going later this week) but seems to have been confirmed by friends who are going, is the notion of having Apocalypse as the main villain itself.

Apocalypse is a villain in the x-men universe almost on the same scale as Thanos is to the avengers universe. Thanos however has had the benefit of what 4 cameos, one more direct appearance, and almost every (12 in total now?) film hinting at his involvement in some way behind the scenes as the big bad. So when it finally comes to the infinity war, people will at least understand "oh shit this is the guy".

But Apocalypse has none of that. we have a post credits scene from one movie with a bunch of people in egypt worshipping him and then it's straight on to the main event. For a villain on this scale, that doesn't make much sense. To me it reeks of the same failing that X3 had with the Phoenix plotline. A brief glimmer of Phoenix power at the end of the second film, then straight on to "oh jean is back and she's suddenly able to disintegrate planets".

I've heard quicksilver is the best part of the movie, unsurprisingly...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I felt like the movie was mediocre. I didn't ask my family what they thought, but there was no discussion of the movie, as we left, which tells me they probably didn't enjoy it either. 

If you like the previous versions of this generation, you'll like this one. I feel like it was on par with them. Not terrible, but nothing really outstanding. It was all pretty standard/cliche XMen. A large part of the movie was really slow/boring. They also seem to have really screwed up ages/timelines. For instance, as they showed in the trailer (and we already knew), quicksilver is Magnetos dad. Maybe it's just me, but Magneto seems too young to be quicksilver's dad. Same goes for Mystique and Nightcrawler, although they never reference it, we know she's his mother.... well she was in the comics.

I thought Apocalypse was going to get larger, in scale, based on the trailer, but instead, it ends up just in his head. He was smaller than all the people accompanying him.

There were definitely some good moments, and a sprinkling of humor, but overall, I didn't walk away excited. The conclusion I've come to is, Bryan Singer just isn't a great director. From now on, if I see his name attached to a project, I'll probably just wait for the video release.